Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
          Keymaster

🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
            Participant

Hi Kim, when should I be getting my lesson?

Thanks

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
              Keymaster

You said you had something to post? I was waiting for your post!

Kimberly Buchanan
                Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                Participant

oh my… I looked back in the posts and I can’t see where I mentioned that to give me a clue of what I was talking about.

And looking at youtube I can’t figure it out. Do you have any clue??

If not would you go ahead and assign me a lesson? Thanks

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                  Keymaster

Sure! Now that you’re working on NW3 (hehe!) would you like to start with the unknown number??

Kimberly Buchanan
                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                      Participant

NW3 YIKES!!!  Not sure we are ready for that 🙂

You planning another troubleshooting class between now and August (before the trial)?  Or maybe a couple of movie weeks 😉

Printed off your lesson(s) for us that you posted above.

ALERT!  FINISH!

ALERT

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                      Keymaster

Here is one way to start:

Place a single simple hide in the area and then ask Taku to continue hunting for 30-60 seconds after he’s found it, just to see what behaviors he gives you. A look, ranging out, etc. Each dog is slightly different but there are typical behaviors that you should be able to recognize. If he goes back to the one hide I would definitely pay him but have him continue hunting as if there might be another hide. End on a good note with him getting paid at the hide again.

Depending on how Taku does, you may want to repeat this kind of search, pressuring him to find something else that isn’t there.

The second step would be to have NO hides and ask him to hunt for about 60 seconds to see what he offers. I would not use the same search area (=no lingering odor) and I would have a sourceable/easy hide in a completely separate area where he can get rewarded. That way even tho’ you’ve pushed him hard to find something else and he’s come up empty handed, there is another hide available.

Depending on how long the first step takes, you might just post that search or those searches or combine with the no-hide search.

Kimberly Buchanan
                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kimberly Buchanan
                        Keymaster

🙂

Yes, I need to get “Movie Week!” on the calendar as well as another “Troubleshooting” course! Hopefully we’ll get a few more takers. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                          Participant

I’ll talk them both up 🙂  Didn’t think I’d like the trouble shooting one, cuz didn’t know if I could come up with anything to trouble shoot 🙂  But now I can think of a couple of things to work on 🙂

Have to run to town this morning, so I hope to do the exercise this afternoon.

Terry Wright

Terry Wright and Kai
                            Participant

NW502 -6dD -1 HIDE / NO HIDE

ANISE in garage for about 15 minutes.  Off leash because I didn’t want to influence him in any way.

It’s in a tin on the safe in the upper left corner.

At :28 he does a nice head snap.

Swished my arm a couple of times to try and get him to go search some more.  He went back to the odor at :43 and I re-reward.

Didn’t seem to matter how many times I swished my arm… he wanted to go back to the odor.  Not sure that was because he didn’t pick up any other odor or because the one he found was easy to go back to, or he wasn’t sure what I was asking of him??

The No hide video starts at 1:16.  I try turning my body away from him, wasn’t sure if he was just looking for a treat 😉

1:01, weird!  he’s never gone up on the coffee table before and he never went to the end of couch area, should I have walked him in that direction to have him check?

The last 5 seconds he stood there looking at me… guess he was done LOL!!

He did have a recovery hide in the bathroom 🙂

What did you see?

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                              Keymaster

Haha! Taku is remembering the last lesson where no matter where you went he is supposed to stay at odor! Yeah!

YES, in this case (one hide search) I would encourage you to move like you would if it was blind. Would you not help Taku to cover the search area?

With the no-hide search, Taku tells you clearly there is no odor in the room, which is awesome. He’s checking “alternate” areas to try and find odor because that’s what you’ve asked him to do but he can’t find anything so he looks at you as if “WHY am I searching this room??” Good boy!! With my dog I will often reward with his toy at the end of the search, even if there is no odor. That is one of those things that can be debated because you are rewarding the dog going to odor only. But in this case there is no odor. Your decision to reward or not.

Next exercise, TWO hides and then keep him searching for more. What we want to see is pretty much the same things but because he’s getting really good at sticking with the one odor, let’s see if he will still hunt for the next odor and what happens when you ask him to keep working 30-60 seconds after he finds both of them.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                Participant

NW502 -6E – 2 Hides – Find More

Anise and Clove, cooked for about 10 -15 minutes.  The video was originally about 3:30, but I trimmed it after re-watching it as I could see where I could have called finish (looking back).

He found both hides in 1 min. :05 sec. (he’s never gonna be a spend demon :).

At 1:34 he heads back to the first hide that he had found. I probably could have called *finish* at that point??  I’m unsure.

He is really sticking at that hide.  Guess his memory is good remembering our last lesson on sticking with source 🙂

At 2:04 he heads back to the first hide, watching the video again, at this point I’m pretty sure I should have called finish, he caught no other odor and went back to the first hide because he knew he’d get paid… is that how you read it?

I feel I need to practice this one more, so I feel confident calling *finish*.  How often should I practice this lesson and a clear room?

What did you see?   LOL I was moving 🙂

P.S.

Taku is no longer interested in toys 🙁

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                  Keymaster

The bottom line is: Did you give your dog access to all parts of the search area? Was he working when he was searching? Does he look bored, confused, wants to leave, goes back to a hide, checks UP a bit more, etc. THAT is when you know for certain that there are no more hides. The fact that he doesn’t want to leave a hide is a good indicator, it seems!

Ok, rinse, repeat! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                    Participant

NW502 – 6 F – 2 Hides – Find More

man oh man when will I learn to copy what I’ve written before I hit submit.  I hit submit and then it said oops you are not logged in, but I was when I wrote it….  so here I go again!  Probably not as good as the first time.

The video is over three minute, sorry, but I wasn’t sure when to call *finish*, re-watching the video I see that I could have called it sooner.  Could have called it after he found both hides and when he made his first round of the garage looking for more, but that’s hindsight.

At :12 he cuts the corner where the hide is behind the fire extinguisher 🙁  Make a little circle and finds the hide.  Some wasted time, but gets back to it.

He did find the lingering odor or is it called residual odor, I confuse the terms, but did not alert on them.

At the dryer hide he found it first in the between the washer and dryer, and looked at me, but I moved around hoping he’d source to the hide, he did go back and did find it at the bottom left.  It’s already taken him 2 minutes to find the 2 hides.

When he went around the garage finding no new odor, I probably should have called *finish* at that point, but wasn’t sure what to do, so I let him continue to search.  Watching the video again, he did a good job of re-searching… yes I could have called *finish*!  Not sure what I was waiting for… maybe for him to come to me like before and say “Mom there isn’t anymore hides” or for him to go back to one of the hides or leave the garage.

He tried so hard… I let him search too long 🙁

Is there time for one more search, if so what should I do now?  If not, I understand.

Thanks!

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                      Keymaster

Nice!

Ok, some things I noticed;

Yes, Taku was kept in the area too long. BUT, that’s what you’re going to do!! You need to know what he looks like. He goes back to previous hides, tries harder to find something and then just looks bored.

All good info!

Kimberly Buchanan
                                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kimberly Buchanan
                                        Keymaster

So going forward, I would practice THIS part so you feel confident that you know when Taku is done searching – you’ve given him access and he tells you when odor is there. Don’t withhold repayment because you don’t want to diminish the previous things we worked on but understand that he may ask for repayment because there is nothing more!

Good work! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                          Participant

Thanks Kim!  I just now saw that there was a page two, been checking all day!  Sure wish I knew why I don’t get the email notices anymore… just weird.

Yes I will practice this to become more confident!  Ok, will remember to repay him when going back to the hide.

Looking forward to the Senior Dog Class 🙂

What do you think… should Taku and I sign up for the NW3 trial in August?  Guess there are a couple of ways to look at it…

he can do it… he’s not ready… if he’s not ready it’s a BIG practice for him and me.  He could/might walk away with his title.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? LOL

Thanks again!!

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                            Keymaster

I think at this point you should try. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                              Participant

We shall see if we get in.  Sign up is on the 28th. Made room reservations a while back.  NW3 could be hard to get into now, NW2 had a high pass rate, plus all the people already doing NW 3 🙂

Thanks for all your help, so glad I got into this class even tho I was late.  I would take it again, I learned a lot.

We will continue to practice ….

Thanks!  See ya in the Senior Dog class 🙂

Terry Wright

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                            • The topic ‘PL: Terry & Taku, 5/29/17’ is closed to new replies.