~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Kathryn Dobyns
Participant

When, oh when will I learn to post something and then go back and add detail – just got kicked off again…

Adding detail now!
I thought this would be our last video for this class, but I just read the last two lessons and will try to get the Distractors lesson done in the next couple of days. Hunter is pretty strong on elevation, but maybe I can get them both done this weekend…

So yesterday we went on a drive around the county looking for novel and distracting exteriors to complete the last bit of the sourcing exercise. This turned out to be a pretty tough exercise for us. The first part of the video is the first search of the morning at the local interstate rest area. I only included the first part of the search – he finds 4/6 hides pretty quickly, but ended up leaving 2 hides in the grass. I went back after this run and pulled the two elevated hides, left the two ground hides he found plus the two he didn’t and paired them all. He was ultimately successful, but it still took a really long time and he kept picking up stuff in the grass that I hope we’re just food scraps…

After the rest area, we moved to the community center/park where we have been a few times for agility trials. I set up a search on the covered picnic area, which again we ended up leaving a couple hides behind (he found 3/5), and I had to give him a “leave it” when he picked up something that looked like a giant pill on the picnic table – it may have been candy, but I was really happy he dropped it. The second search on the video is the last and most successful one of the morning – 5 hides on the playground, all paired, all found in good time.