~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Tagged: ,

Viewing 47 reply threads
  • Author
      Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

Team Hunter is back for more fun NW lessons. These classes help me organize my training and keep me working on specific goals and skills. On my own, I just don’t always put the thought into what I want to work on today…

We have been playing Nosework for about 4 years, and now that we have reached the NW3 leveL, we have had plenty of time to practice between trials. His last trial (first NW3) was December 2015, and he passed 3/4 elements that day. The element that has always given us the most trouble is containers. I welcome all exercises to help us in containers!

I also would like to improve both my leash-handling and movement in the search area to support my dog but not influence him to choose the wrong container (he almost never makes a wrong choice in the other elements).

Hunter is a strong searcher with plenty of drive, so I just need to give him lots of problems to solve, so hopefully if we manage to get a spot in another trial someday, anything the CO may throw at us will be familiar.

Looking forward to some great sniffing practice!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Welcome back Team Hunter! ๐Ÿ™‚ He’s such a fun boy to watch and I’m so happy we get to see more of Hunter. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

Okay, here is lesson 1 for Team Hunter. I included two runs with similar (but different) set-up and challenges. (Edit – having technical difficulty this morning. Videos did not link on YouTube as planned, so I think I have both searches posted now…)

Run 1 – challenges: 1.) container search with boxes and soft bags
      2.) hide placement is on the bottom (centered) of the tall blue bag, so Hunter needs to get his nose down to get to source (I saw this kind of placement in an NW3 I volunteered at, and most of the dogs passed the hide at least once before noticing it at all)
      3.) small fan is blowing against the hide to push odor onto the box to the right (trying to mimic the effect of opening/closing the door multiple times during a trial day)

Run 2 – added to the challenges above: 1.) second hide (in a box!)
      2.) longer set-up time (2 hours, fan blowing on low for 15 minutes)
      3.) food distractor – banana peel in the black bag to the right of the tall blue one with the hide (just cause I had one handy and I don’t train distractors much)

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Ok! Your challenges were good! Did the search end up as you expected?

I know containers are a big challenge for you and Hunter! Nice to see he quickly solves the problems. Does he always go counter-clock-wise? Did you notice that he tended to skip a lot of the containers, especially from the threshold and after he found a hide? Did you notice Hunter ranged out into your basement further after he’d already found the hide when there was just one?

Here are some other things I noticed about this search – not necessarily a specific challenge, but the way it was set up:
      * Containers were set in a circle
      * Every other container was a box
      * Some flat bags are included
      * Only one tall bag (w/the odor)
      * The search area is around two of your basement posts, with 2 “walls” adjacent
      * Spacing of your containers is about 2-feet apart
      * In the second search the fan is moved
      * The non-odor containers remained the same

In your practices, is this generally how you would set up a search or two searches building on one another? (Not saying it’s right or wrong, just curious.) ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

I tend to set up problems that reflect an issue we have had (cold box next to a hot bag), or a problem I have seen in a trial or seminar that I am not sure Hunter has seen before (odor on the bottom of the tall bag). He does often skip containers when he is chasing odor, which is one reason I try to get him back around the search area a second time (and the circle is easy for me to keep track of!), but if I keep him in too long, he starts to range out or check containers and look at me, which I know in practice means he is trying to figure out why we are still here. I added the extra odor in the second search to see if that would change his search behavior at all, and he sure was willing to stick on that box?! Interesting on the distractor that he notices it (I think the banana smell) but keeps going then head checks backing the odor drifting that way, checks the distractor more intently on his way back to the tall bag. I think I have built up the obedience to odor part…

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Yes, his obedience to odor is good! You might experiment a LITTLE bit by showing some interest in his interest when it’s a distractor, just to PROOF him against falses when you turn your attention to him. Reward heavily when he makes a choice of odor vs. distractor. ALSO, place the distractor closer to the odor for a harder challenge.

I was pretty sure you had a plan for your search which is great. Just keep the scenario changing so you don’t get into a situation of always having them the same; Different configurations, different containers, closer vs further apart, sometimes lots of distractors, sometimes lots of odor, etc. Add to the challenges and do lots of proofing, doing your best to not let Hunter cue off you for odor or not odor then back away and give him something very simple so he’s not always working difficult problems. ๐Ÿ™‚

So far you do a great job but since Containers especially are tricky for you, it’s something I would practice a lot and make it more challenging in the variety and proofing portion. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

I probably went a little overboard and worked these interior thresholds – it was bit much for a single session – but I have access to so many options at the clinic! For the most part I just moved the hide and went immediately to the next search, so there was lots of lingering odor by the end of these. I have them in order we did them, but I skipped a couple of the longer ones. Hunter did great with most anything at nose level or below, but when I added more elevation at the threshold, he had to go out and come back to it.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Really great threshold work! And yes, as you notice, adding elevation makes it even more challenging. This makes it additionally important to give time for the air to settle before release. Imprinting that a hide could potentially be UP at the threshold will help him to more quickly figure out those problems. You do a great job of staying out of the way and letting Hunter be focused before releasing him. Nice! ๐Ÿ™‚

Unless you have other thoughts, feel free to move onto your next element.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

He is not too happy with the “wait and get focused” part of the exercise, but it certainly works! I’ll try to get to some exteriors or vehicles mid-week…

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

We went to the park this morning for some vehicle and exterior work. I am posting vehicles first. The 3 searches at the park were paired – Hunter has lately been alerting “close enough” to easily accesible hides, so this was a good opportunity to reinforce going all the way to source.

At the park, the temperature was about 70, with 50% humidity at 9:30. The hides were all out about 30 minutes. After we got home, I did the last two searches on my car in the driveway – these were not paired and each was set for 10 – 15 minutes. It is late morning by the time of the last two searches. The last one was interesting – he actually had his nose on the hide a couple of times but had to leave and come back in to make his final decision. Good learning for me, too, because when he came back to it, he was right on it!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Wow, look how much the odor on the bus is moving! Just a slightly higher profile vehicle and boy it sure changes how the odor moves. Hunter looks focused and engaged, even with the long walk from the threshold, he knew he was working odor on the vehicle(s). Lucky you to have some pretty cool vehicles to work, too! ๐Ÿ™‚ I also thought it interesting that Hunter was not 100% certain about the last hide. Could it possibly be because the first few searches were paired and this one was not? You’d think he’d have shown this same unsureness with the previous search but no, just this one. Hm.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

That last search showed some behavior I have seen from him recently – working a hide but having trouble sourcing – even when it is very accessible. That last hide was sitting just below the license plate and when he did finally alert he did put his nose right on the tubing. I am thinking more pairing and easier hides will be good for him for a bit – especially since we finally got into a couple of Element Trials! We get to go to PA in December for an L1E and an L2C ?.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Yeah! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

Here are the exterior searches from the park this morning. The first search was a very distracting spot – I know there are woodchucks living under that shed – and it took him about 45 seconds before he actually engaged the search – then he found the hide within seconds when he decided to work it! In searches 2 and 3, I held him at the “start line” for a bit and he was right on those (paired) hides from the get-go. In search 4, he was a bit distracted off the start line, but caught the odor quickly and worked that one nicely – although that was another example of him needing to range out a bit from the hide to narrow down the source.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Hm… Ok, so these are exterior searches but not really threshold hides except the 3rd one. The second search was in the front and he got it fast, so it worked ok. The guideline was to have a hide within about 6 feet from the start line. Again, not about a search but about the dog easily engaged from the start line, assuming there MIGHT be a hide close by. In a distracting environment like the one w/the woodchucks, have a low hide (not elevated) within EASY reach of the start, maybe just 2-3 feet away. That might mean stopping him and waiting until he’s ready to search before you release him. I think pairing in those situations is really a good idea! ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll give you the option if you’d like to re-do your Exterior searches or move onto the next element. Since you have an Exterior Element trial coming up, I would suggest working some more Exterior thresholds. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

Got it – I did some containers this afternoon, so I’ll post that When I get it edited, but I will try to redo the Exteriors this weekend at the clinic.

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

Here’s the containers video. I wanted to take it on the road, but since we are having a heat wave here right now, I chose the busy park, because I love this shelter for container work. It is, however, near the golf course, skate park and dog park – and of course there are squirrels! It took a couple of searches to get him focused, but he was on task for the ones on the video.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

These were excellent! As you mention it took him a bit to get focused but in these videos he was really ready and working from the first containers. Really nice! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

Of course, I did one last search after these where I put all 3 odors out – and he blew right past the threshold! The hide in the middle called him right from the start…

I should get to redo the exteriors later today.

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

Exterior thresholds, take 2. Much cooler today (about 55) and very windy!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Good job! ๐Ÿ™‚

A couple of things that might also be useful;

When you open a door into a space, give a few more seconds for the odor to settle before releasing your dog. That door opening/closing stirs up a lot of air and can make it difficult for the dog to find a close hide. I think you can hesitate just a tad longer. Overall, good tho’!

The other thing is about the “start” – Look at your posture and what you say at (:31) and (:47). “Ready?” It looks like you’re ready to race and as soon as you release Hunter she shoots off like a rocket. YES, he’s working from the start but it would be really easy for him to miss something at the beginning of a search area simply because he’s rushing into the space. Motivationally it’s great! But for working a threshold it could cause him to miss a hide. So IF he ends up with a problem blowing by hides – even if in just one element – look at how you’re starting the search. Just something to think about! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

Yes, that “ready!” is not our usual start line behavior – most of the time I am looking for a calmer, more thoughtful start. I really am not sure why I changed it up on those searches!

Here’s our exterior corners and edges. There was plenty of wind on Sunday, but it took a couple of locations to find the usable corners with the wind in the right direction. I am happy with how Hunter worked these.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Hunter was focused and diligently trying to find source in each of these searches. You also did a good job of supporting without being on top of him. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

I had hoped to do these interior corners and edges at the clinic because of so many more options, but the time just hasn’t worked out this week, so we improvised in the basement today. The first search is long wall to inside corner and he had to do a little multi-tasking before getting to work. Once he decided to stop hunting the cat, he did fine. I had to improvise on the “outside corner” searches. The long wall to outside corner worked pretty well but I was stretching the definition on the “start at the outside corner” direction on the 3rd search. The last search is a repeat of inside corner to long wall – our first attempt was interrupted by the cat…

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Much easier to do when there is very little or nothing on your “wall!: ๐Ÿ™‚

Good job improvising. All those little storage drawers and boxes would be tricky but Hunter did a very nice job of working it out .:-)

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

We had a busy weekend, but had a chance today to work the container corners/edges and will hopefully get the vehicles done this afternoon.
      Container searches overall looked good – the first, second and fifth searches were really nice from a pattern standpoint, but searches three and four he was drawn in by the odor and skipped checking things along the way. search three is actually pretty comical as I was trying to stay along the edge and he was having none of that!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Excellent work! The bottom line is not about a specific pattern but whether the dog KNOWS to check those areas. Often we see dogs miss hides because they are at the outer parts of a search; far corner on a container, dog checks inside but not outside; along the side where the dog happens to skip because they catch scent from another hide; etc. As long as YOU can keep track of things, it’s all good! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

We did our vehicles on Wednesday afternoon, and there was quite a bit of wind. He did a nice job of figuring out the blowing odor problems on the first and last searches. I really enjoyed watching him figure out the last one on the tan pickup – the first little half-alert was lingering odor from a previous hide. He moves on and works the downwind side of the truck, figures out he has to go around, brackets the odor side (I did restrict him from going all the way around the back), then he circles out of the odor, returns to the truck and goes up (to find the upper edge of the odor cone?) and then nails the source. Fun to watch!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Great job! No question he knows how to work vehicles! ๐Ÿ™‚

The last search was fun to watch. Loved how he had to range out for a bit (clearing his palate?), came right back and found the hide.
      ๐Ÿ˜€

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

I had intended to do this next lesson on Sunday, but that didn’t happen, so I threw this search together tonight after the clinic closed. I forgot my iPad, which means I had to use my iPhone to video and I probably could have found a better place to put the tripod to get a better view of the entire lobby, but I did place all the hides within camera view. I paired all these hides, and once Hunter figured out that all the odor was in half the space, he did a nice job of working hide to hide.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

I don’t remember hearing Hunter sniff so loudly before! LOL! Must be the way the sound reverberates with the tile floor.

Very nice work! I was going to comment that you moved quite a bit to cast him off of one hide to find another (:30, stirring up the air currents, setting a direction, etc.) but the next two hides you stayed pretty close to the current hide and Hunter willingly went off and found the next one. I really like his ability to move on to continue searching and you don’t need to “push” him off to find another.

Hunter returned to the middle hide a few times but didn’t get too fixated on it. I think he used it like an “anchor” as some people call it.

Really cool with the head snap at (:51) and working the last 2 hides in easy succession. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

We did this search about mid-day after our therapy visit to the hospital, so we could easily find a novel exterior location in the next town to the east. The temperature is about 52 and it had been raining intermittently, light breeze and I was uncomfortably cold and not doing my best with handling. I chose a shorter leash because this was the edge of an active shopping center and I did not want him to get out in the road. The first minute of the search is nice – he does a really nice threshold and finds 4 hides in 25 seconds, then spends another 20 seconds working out the wall hide. That part I am happy with. The last minute, though was a lot of spinning and bouncing back and forth between the first 2 hides and he just was not finding the last hide near the curb. When I finally stepped off the sidewalk onto the road, that set him up to locate the last hide. I wonder if I had used the longer leash and given him more space to work independently if that last hide would have come more easily…

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Nice work, Hunter! You can really hear and see the wind in this search. He had a lot of movement of odor, probably a lot of swirling and convergence and he stuck with the problem nicely!

A longer leash might have helped but even just moving yourself into the area where he might catch the odor from a different angle may have been all that was needed. One thing to think about is that we humans are very pattern trained. We see a sidewalk and was must stay on it. We see lines and we follow. Color outside the lines and you see a different picture! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

I am off to volunteer for the MD trials this weekend – and Hunter gets to be Dog in White again for the NW3 on Sunday – and we just got into an NW3 in PA in January! I will try to work some of the barrier lessons this morning before I leave town and I may be able to repeat the Exterior sourcing exercise somewhere new while on the road or before I head home Monday. We’ll see what the weekend offers.

Edit – here is the barrier search – I thought at first he was going right to the hide, but it did take him a little bit of time to work it out. I’ll post the maze after you review this one.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Interesting that he keeps going UP! I wonder if a problem like this is a challenge for Hunter because of his speed? He catches odor, heads to where he thinks it is, but by the time he realizes he’s passed it, he’s gone around the barrier and is once again on the wrong side? Really interesting!

Have fun at the NW3 trial! So fun to be DIW! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

We are back from our weekend of volunteering in MD – really awesome trial hosts! Hunter had a great time running all the NW3 searches as DIW, and I got some free coaching from Jacy ?. He put out two searches with 3 hides (one interior and the vehicle search) and a blank room in interiors. Hunter’s vehicle and exterior searches were just about perfect, my instincts were in line with Jacy’s coaching in containers (he wasn’t going to give me a chance to misread my dog!) and the only trouble he had with interiors was the first room where one of the judges was standing directly in front of the third hide. He has actually had that happen in both DIW opportunities – a good reason for the test run ?. I really was happy with the way he handled the blank room – he searched it thoroughly but never gave me any indication of finding anything.

So back to class! I ran the maze exercise last week right after the barrier. I used the same hide location and just added more obstacles. Since he figured out the first run so quickly, I changed the maze setup and ran it again, which you will see really challenged him!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

So interesting to watch! I assume the first search had a paired hide? (We see him trying to eat the food, I think?)

In the second search, just slightly more challenging ๐Ÿ˜‰ we see Hunter trying desperately to get to source!! He did a fantastic job, incredibly persistent! Of course, this can be a challenge when the hide simply cannot be reached! This is where you will balance his ability to GET to source vs. paying him when/where he shows the most interest. A lot of dogs who are really good at sourcing have difficulty making that final decision.

Great persistence! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

Yes, both hides were paired – the first time he actually knocked the treat off the hide by sticking his pointy nose through the x-pen fence. On the second version, I moved the fence away from the hide, so he could not get to it until he figured out where the opening was in the fence – there were two possibilities that he ran around multiple times until he finally slowed his pace and found a gap.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Interesting!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

I just ran this one this evening in the garage – fun to watch him work out where it is and then finally get brave enough to push on in! I thought the step stool would be the weak link ?.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Way to go Hunter!! ๐Ÿ˜€

He really worked and worked that hide!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

When, oh when will I learn to post something and then go back and add detail – just got kicked off again…

Adding detail now!
      I thought this would be our last video for this class, but I just read the last two lessons and will try to get the Distractors lesson done in the next couple of days. Hunter is pretty strong on elevation, but maybe I can get them both done this weekend…

So yesterday we went on a drive around the county looking for novel and distracting exteriors to complete the last bit of the sourcing exercise. This turned out to be a pretty tough exercise for us. The first part of the video is the first search of the morning at the local interstate rest area. I only included the first part of the search – he finds 4/6 hides pretty quickly, but ended up leaving 2 hides in the grass. I went back after this run and pulled the two elevated hides, left the two ground hides he found plus the two he didn’t and paired them all. He was ultimately successful, but it still took a really long time and he kept picking up stuff in the grass that I hope we’re just food scraps…

After the rest area, we moved to the community center/park where we have been a few times for agility trials. I set up a search on the covered picnic area, which again we ended up leaving a couple hides behind (he found 3/5), and I had to give him a “leave it” when he picked up something that looked like a giant pill on the picnic table – it may have been candy, but I was really happy he dropped it. The second search on the video is the last and most successful one of the morning – 5 hides on the playground, all paired, all found in good time.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

The last search looked really good! Actually the part of the first search that we saw looked good, too, tho’ we do see him picking up something from the ground. SO hard in those picnic areas with leftover who-knows-what around the tables, in the grass, etc. The good thing is that he did keep working to odor for what we saw.

Sometimes just backing up a step to help the dog be successful is good. Especially when you learn the distractions are pretty tough. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

Here is our attempt at the Distractor Bonanza – either I have done a pretty good job of teaching him that the only thing that pays is odor, or I picked really boring distractors! It took several laps for me to feel like he had checked each box 3 times – he just did not want to recheck the boring not-odor boxes over and over!

From the start line on the left row – tomatoes, Kong toy, used napkin, cat fur, ANISE, leaves from the yard.

From the start line on the right row – my well-used baseball cap, BIRCH, gloves (that should reek of dog treats!), apple (the only distractor that he really reacted to), cat toy, birdseed

He also has the added environmental distraction of both cats! Spock locked in the dog crate and Cas watching from the windowsill.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

VERY GOOD! What you want to see is the dog dragging you to odor to bypass those distractors. ๐Ÿ˜‰

At the (1:36) mark, we see Hunter LINGER slightly at one of the distractor boxes. THIS is what you need to recognize when you keep your dog in a search too long! Knowing where odor is and is not, it is very clear that Hunter is not interested in anything but odor – until – he is in the search a tad too long. (Which is perfect and what we needed to see.) But then he is again reinforced by odor which is why it is REALLY important to pay him when he goes back to odor.

Nice! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

I was really happy to see him bypass the distractors so well on this, especially since we have that L2C trial coming up in early December! In general, when we have had issues in trial it has been either blowing/pooling odor or interest in those pesky white boxes that have so often been rewarded! Jacy had 2 white boxes next to a piece of luggage with the dreaded powdered donut distractor that messed up a lot of teams last Sunday. Hunter barely sniffed the donut bag bag but clearly did the “ooh, white box, doesn’t smell like odor but maybe if I do a quick head check to mom, I might fake her out”. What I have learned from these exercises and the troubleshooting class is that Hunter will go back to odor – and now is getting stronger about not leaving it in the first place – but he typically ignores “not odor” on the second pass. Of course, give him too much time and he might decide to fake me out again – definitely a balancing act!

Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

Ok, we have never finished all the lessons in a class before, but I think this one is a wrap! Since you suggested running the elevation exercise off leash, I opted for working in the small fenced kennel yard at the clinic. Hunter sure tried really hard to reach that hide!

Thanks, Kim for a really great set of exercises. I really feel like we made good progress in this class and I will be looking for apart 2!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Awesome work!! Always fun to see Hunter search. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yep, stay tuned, I’ll be in touch about the next part soon! ๐Ÿ˜€

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 47 reply threads
  • The topic ‘NW525: Kathryn & Hunter (mixed, VA)’ is closed to new replies.