~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Kimberly Buchanan
Keymaster

Great video to learn from! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

I mentioned this on Sue/Biscuit’s thread, as well, but when we mix paired-accessible hides with unpaired-inaccessible hides what is the dog thinking? If the dog still hunts for the inaccessible hide(s) maybe it’s not a big deal but we still need to consider the end-result of the search when the easier hides are paired for self-rewarding and the difficult hides are not. You can’t really pair them because they would still not be self-rewardable.

In this case, I would have rewarded Lily very early for her interest and acknowledgement of the odor on the swing. Take a look at her behavior at (1:58, 2:49) instead of waiting for her to try to go UP. She did finish the problem but it took a lot of time and I think she should have been paid earlier.

Another thing I notice is that you start out the search handling pretty well but because Lily is on leash you end up steering a lot. There *is* benefit to limiting where the dog can go (:24-25) but I want you to really look at your body language as well as the leash pressure in this search. Your shoulders are telling her you’re not paying attention to what she’s doing much of the time and instead trying to will her in a different direction (:26, 1:25, 1:55+crowding, 2:30, 2:38+).

I LOVE the fancy video splicing/audio. It really helps to see the search and understand what is happening. 🙂

Give me your thoughts about my comments and working her on leash.

Kimberly Buchanan
Joyride K9 Dog Training