~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Kimberly Buchanan
Keymaster

Good job, Taku! Yep, you *can* tell that Taku makes a nice COB at the first hide! He is a bit of a “doe in headlights” with the second hide. 🙂 The fact that he turned at (:40) was likely in response to the odor he had just passed. Then he noticed the fan club! LOL!

I keep forgetting Taku is mostly deaf. I was going to comment on your use of arm/hand to get him to move on but I think with time he’ll get to understand that cue. He keeps checking with you, trying to figure out what he’s supposed to do. I would agree that you can facilitate that by just moving slightly yourself. You could have even walked to the end of the building and let Taku decide where to go after rounding that corner. Whatever direction you go, just a little movement seemed to be enough to unstick him. Also – consider that some dogs need a moment to THINK. They’re not necessarily checked out. In this case, tho’, it does seem that Taku was a bit distracted by the audience.

Once Taku begins working again, he dives into the flower/weed patch and clearly communicates to you that he’s found odor. For a subtle dog, he’s giving you some pretty good cues! The COB, the nosing, the paw, the look. Really nice! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
Joyride K9 Dog Training