~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

MW2016Jul: Terry & Taku (Alaskan Klee Kai, Alaska)

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Terry Wright and Kai
      Participant

Taku and I have been working in NW for about 6 years. Taku turned 15 in June and has lost his hearing or at least most of it. And he is environmentally challenged.

We went to our third NW2 Trial this last spring and fringe alerted in one of interiors, missed one hide in the vehicles (we timed out). we did end up with three pronounced ๐Ÿ™‚

This is one activity that Taku and I can play in together, even though he is dog reactive. He has come a long way since participating in this sport, he has become more self-confident in new environments.

We have another NW 2 trial coming up in September.

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
        Keymaster

Welcome back, Terry & Taku! We’ve seen remarkable improvement from Taku in the past year. Can’t wait to see what videos you choose to share! ๐Ÿ™‚

p.s. I fixed your header to add “MW2016Jul” – without that part it tries to pull in other threads from other classes. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
          Participant

thanks for fixing the header ๐Ÿ™‚

I went through some of my older youtube NW videos to start with. I plan to start getting some tomorrow for our exterior class that I will share later.

This one was this spring on our front deck, the sun was out and a slight breeze coming off the lake. Unpaired, known hide. It was the second hide in one search, I trimmed the first on off.

It was between the two stacked chairs in the back of back rest. The backs are slotted.

It’s a quick one don’t blink ๐Ÿ™‚

Right at the start I see that I am slow slow slow, I should have rewarded him at like .02 seconds! I wait a few seconds and he *shows* me again, only more to the center/left. I reward him.

I struggle with these kind of hides… he alerted to right-ish corner of the back of chair, but the hide was more to the center or towards the left.

I’m thinking that I should have rewarded him when he gave me such a nice alert (looked at me). But then I doubted myself thinking he needed to be over more towards the hide. Then I’m thinking.. well the odor could be out anywhere in the back or the front of the back rest, so if he would have put his paws on the seat of the chairs and alerted me to the back rest I could have called alert??

Appreciate comments and suggestions…

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
            Keymaster

Hi Terry! So the first question I have is where do you think odor might travel with a hide between two chairs? Sometimes we assume because a hide is somewhat available the dog should immediately go to source and only source. However, with hide placement and air currents odor will MOVE and travel. So in this case I expect that the odor will be moving all along the seat, slipping out the sides and thru the slats. ANYWHERE Taku says is a good call because he’s the one who is telling you where odor is coming from. ๐Ÿ˜‰

He’s such a good boy! He was persistent in telling you and that will be a lifesaver! ๐Ÿ˜€

One thing you can do is to reward for the communication and THEN wait for the dog to try to get closer. I would not cue (to me that means find a different hide) but just wait and then pay again. If the dog doesn’t get closer to source they’re telling you that the hide is stronger elsewhere. If you know in fact the dog could put their nose on source then maybe you go back a step and working sourcing exercises and in that case you’d wait for the dog to source and easy hide. In this case it really is more complicated.

Good boy, Taku! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
              Participant

To your first question, of where I thought the odor would come out between two chairs. I was actually thinking *anywhere*, back, top, sides and the front. So if we’d been at a trial I would have called alert at .02 sec. when he showed interest in the right corner and he looked at me! Think I would have gotten a YES??

And looking at the video again, yes he was persistent wasn’t he, by touching his nose to the back of the chair.

You said “One thing you can do is to reward for the communication and THEN wait for the dog to try to get closer. I would not cue (to me that means find a different hide) but just wait and then pay again.” You mean I should have rewarded him at .02 sec. and waited to see if he’d *show* me again at that same spot… or *show* me that he could get closer?

And “go back a step and working sourcing exercises”, you mean a more closed area/container where the odor doesn’t escape in 10 different directions??

Thanks Kim!

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                Keymaster

YES, you’d have gotten a “yes.” ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, you could have paid him when he first communicated and then wait to see if he went back to the same spot or tried harder to locate source. You’ve paid him so you can wait him out a little bit if you think he *should* be sourcing. If he’s insistent on telling you (and not just nose-bopping) it’s in the other spot then I’d believe him.

When I mean working sourcing exercises it means finding hides that are more accessible and easily sourced. So not channeled hides, not hides inside cupboards and yes, hides that don’t escape in different directions. Just a simple hide that is easy to put his nose on if he so chooses.

Does that help?
                  ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                  Participant

yes it does help… thanks!

Terry Wright

Terry Wright and Kai
                    Participant

Here is my second video take on July 8th around 5:30pm, it was 82ยบ in the shade!
                      On the north side of house, no wind. Hides were out about 40 minutes.
                      This was the second video taken. Changed location of the hides and started in a different position.
                      Three vehicles in a spoke formation, rear ends to the middle.
                      White pickup, Van, Blue Car
                      One hide on each vehicle.

At .09 sec Taku caught odor that was coming from the other side, under the truck.
                      At .16 sec he caught lingering odor.
                      At .37 sec he found the odor and was rewarded.
                      At 1:06 sec you see the tin on the door hinge under the tail light to the left. He found it was reward.
                      My IPhone ran out of storage, I had to get my camera to finish the search, at 1:12 is where they are spliced together.
                      At 1:18 he is interested in lingering odor.
                      At 1:39 finds hide in the wheel. Rewarded

I noticed a couple (at least) things in this video of Taku that I’m very proud of …
                      Do you see them ?? Any and all comments, suggestions are appreciated as always ๐Ÿ™‚

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                      Keymaster

I saw quite a few good things in this video!

Taku is upbeat and motivated to search, first off!
                        He’s responding well to odor.
                        Notices lingering odor but doesn’t get too fixated.
                        Stays at source.
                        With the first hide, your payment is fast, good job!
                        The part with the second hide is cut off, so I’m not sure what happened there?
                        Taku was quite clearly working odor and continued on to find the third hide. ๐Ÿ™‚

I do have a question with the second hide; it was at door hinge with your iPhone video but gone when you changed cameras. Was there a reason you didn’t leave it in place? I would think working multiple hides and the challenge of working thru converging odors to the final hide would be good learning for Taku?

Interested to hear more of your thoughts with this search. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                        Participant

Where I had to slice the videos together, he had found the hide on the hinge, but IPhone run out and didn’t catch it.
                          I took the hide down as I was thinking we were done filming, but I then remembered my Cannon Elph Camera which doesn’t get much use since the IPhone ๐Ÿ™‚ So, I didn’t think about put that hide back up when we restarted the search.

What I noticed with this search was
                          1. He was sticking close to the vehicles, doing pretty good at checking out all of the vehicle ๐Ÿ™‚
                          2. He was happy searching with his tail up and curled ๐Ÿ™‚

Most of the time with vehicles he seems to wonder off. I do play the running rabbit with him from time to time with a vehicle, well kind of a version of it ๐Ÿ™‚

We did two searches, this was the second one. Same figuration, changed hides and changed the start line.
                          I was pretty happy with both searches. Vehicles have been a tough one for him.

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                          Keymaster

Gosh, he looked great! Very interested in checking the vehicles! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.

Kimberly Buchanan
                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                            Participant

Our last video for this session. Boo Hoo

This was taken Yesterday July 11, 2016 by Linda Bath, Thanks!

Several of us met up at an elementary school. Lots of different smells, distractions (kids in play ground), play equipment, buildings, grass and pavement.

Two hides, can’t remember what odors.

Where Taku comes back to the concrete thingie on the ground… you can kind of see him do a body turn around if you look under the corner of the deck. This was around .13

At around .45 I wasn’t sure what the heck to do. I tried shifting around. If I didn’t know where the hide was, what should I do.
                              Just now thinking about it (as I re-watch the video)… in a trial the search area would be marked off so I would have known to keep on walking in the search area… duh.

At 1:00 when I decided to make a *real* move he did also.

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                              Keymaster

Good job, Taku! Yep, you *can* tell that Taku makes a nice COB at the first hide! He is a bit of a “doe in headlights” with the second hide. ๐Ÿ™‚ The fact that he turned at (:40) was likely in response to the odor he had just passed. Then he noticed the fan club! LOL!

I keep forgetting Taku is mostly deaf. I was going to comment on your use of arm/hand to get him to move on but I think with time he’ll get to understand that cue. He keeps checking with you, trying to figure out what he’s supposed to do. I would agree that you can facilitate that by just moving slightly yourself. You could have even walked to the end of the building and let Taku decide where to go after rounding that corner. Whatever direction you go, just a little movement seemed to be enough to unstick him. Also – consider that some dogs need a moment to THINK. They’re not necessarily checked out. In this case, tho’, it does seem that Taku was a bit distracted by the audience.

Once Taku begins working again, he dives into the flower/weed patch and clearly communicates to you that he’s found odor. For a subtle dog, he’s giving you some pretty good cues! The COB, the nosing, the paw, the look. Really nice! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                Participant

Thanks Kim for all of your comments and suggestions they are so very helpful!

Yes he did check in with his *fan* club through all the searches we held yesterday. We did the playground equipment that Linda showed in her video, he even went up to Sandy who was sitting on a close by bench to check her out ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes I should have walked to the end of the building and back towards the odor area, or I could have taken him back the way we came and go back on the left side of the Fireweed. Seems as tho I got stuck.

COB = Change of behavior, right?

I love Movie of the Week !! I love sharing the videos where you and others can comment.
                                  Our little group have just made a Facebook page where we can share photos and videos receive comments and suggestions ๐Ÿ™‚

Love your classes Kim…
                                  I’ve got a couple of videos that I can explain in the exterior SOTHMC class. And will be going to different places in near future.

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                  Keymaster

Great job! Sounds like you are invigorated for training. ๐Ÿ™‚

FYI, YES, COB=Change of Behavior. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
                                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                    Participant

Not sure if invigorated is right… getting nervous (as always). It’s August 28th!

Thanks again for all your help along this adventure…

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                      Keymaster

๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • The topic ‘MW2016Jul: Terry & Taku (Alaskan Klee Kai, Alaska)’ is closed to new replies.