~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Kimberly Buchanan
Keymaster

Hi Linda – don’t forget to give everyone a brief bio for you and Molly! Glad to see her moving along with pep in her step!

So, I’m guessing some of these hides were inaccessible? Based on Molly’s behavior, it seems the hide was somewhere within the circle of chairs? Were you working on noticing odor or persistence in getting to source or communication? Each of these criteria would mean different timing. For Molly in this search, after she noticed odor she worked around the chairs AND she looked at you (:20, :24, :27) and then you paid at (:29). So yes, I would say you could have rewarded her sooner. 🙂

You were much faster rewarding her at the table. 🙂

One thing I do see consistently is that you are crowding her a bit. Because you knew where the hides were I imagine you were trying to be in position for a fast reward. Be careful of that. Dogs can inadvertently cue off your body language and it can backfire in a blind search; either you show that behavior because you THINK a hide is somewhere or you do not show that behavior because you don’t believe a hide is somewhere. It can be confusing to the dog and it can start a mad cycle of the dog “not communicating” or “lying” when in reality they’re just confused because of signals the handler is giving.

Something to think about! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
Joyride K9 Dog Training