~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

It seems Skye was getting progressively agitated about the couple who were there. I would include that factor in a review of this search. A dog will not search if they do not feel safe. It’s a survival thing. (Ron talks about this all the time.) I’m not sure I would say it was due to a higher hide, except maybe distraction was higher with a harder challenge? Regardless, she worked thru it. 🙂

I think I would have paid her on the 3rd hide when you first had the inclination to do so. She was caught between the odor bouncing between the column and the wall but with the distraction happening I think I would have lowered the criteria to get her success. You can always ask for more commitment AFTER you pay. Meaning, don’t move on from the hide, just WAIT until she starts demanding payment again. (I prefer people don’t re-cue since that means find a different hide, just wait the dog out.)

Your leash handling is good, you keep a good distance, don’t get between her and the odor movement (or as little as possible) and I think all that is very helpful! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
Joyride K9 Dog Training