~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Tagged: ,

Viewing 45 reply threads
  • Author
      Tina Evrard
      Participant

Skye and I have been doing nosework for almost 4 years, we titled at NW2 this past May. We started classes with an ANWI but when she closed her business we were left to wing it. Skye is a slower but methodical searcher and I am hoping that this course will help us move toward NW3 (possibly in the spring, if we’re ready!) Skye was profoundly fearful when I got her (7 yrs ago) and I really didn’t think she’d ever be able to compete, now we are seriously considering NW3!!! Bring on the challenges, we can do this ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
        Keymaster

Welcome back, Tina & Skye! Let’s see if we can’t help you more than “wing it.” ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
          Participant

Yay! It’s the first day of class and we did our homework ๐Ÿ˜‰ 20 closed boxes, 3 have odor-1 of each scent, aged 25 min. The odor boxes have the pink sticky notes on them and blank boxes have yellow sticky notes, I do not mark boxes normally but I wanted you to be able to tell what she was hitting on.

Kimberly Buchanan
            Keymaster

Very nice work! Despite this being an on-leash exercise you did a nice job of staying out of Skye’s way and letting her search. You responded nicely to which way she turned, as well, to keep it balanced. She was very insistent with the odor boxes. Pawing could be a problem and something to think about but I’m glad she was very assured of the odor at those locations. She didn’t try to give you any other signals on any other boxes. She checked out slightly at the beginning (:30+) but once she resumed she was very methodical checking every single box.

Note at (2:44) how she raises her head to you slightly. That’s the first piece of communication (that I saw) other than going back to previously found hides and showing a little frustration, that she was done. No falses which was great!

Ok, go on to Part B! (With the space you may need to reduce the number of boxes and/or odor to one or two, your choice.)

Kimberly Buchanan
              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
              Participant

I believe the increased pawing stems from frustration, we have been doing a lot of stay at source exercises and her expectations for this exercise may have been in that vein. For part B, the pink sticky notes are source, yellow sticky notes are blank, distractors have no sticky notes and I removed 5 boxes. I must confess that we do this exercise All The Time. Without regular work on her favorite foods (which ironically are often used in trials), she will pay attention to them with great intensity. That does make it easy to read odor vs. food though, lol

Kimberly Buchanan
                Keymaster

Really nice! ๐Ÿ™‚ You can see that the practice has paid off. ๐Ÿ™‚

Skye is pretty clear when she’s at odor. Tho’ in this exercise or when you practice with known locations, I would pay BEFORE the paw. If you’re working on staying at source, try to bring the reward in before she shows this frustration. Eventually (ideally) her expectation will be that she doesn’t need to paw because you will bring the reward. This will likely result in either a freeze at source or a looking at you “why aren’t you paying me?” but that may take some time. For now, for an exercise like this I would just pay faster.

Nice to see that she is clear when she’s at source, clear when she’s not and pretty clear when she’s checking outside the search area for “something else” because she’s found all there is to find! (She starts checking the back wall around (1:48) and the front of the area after the 2-minute mark.)

Do you have anyone that can put a blind search together for you?? If yes, this is what I’d like to see for your PART C: Another container search with just boxes so itโ€™s blind to you. Choose 1-3 hides and make sure there is at least one distractor. Since you likely have designated containers for odor youโ€™ll have to sacrifice some to whatever your hide setter chooses to place. The task is to get Skye thru the search area, checking all the containers and to call FINISH once you think sheโ€™s found all the hides. Note the changes of behavior when you think she’s done and what makes you decide that.

If you don’t have someone else to put out hides for you, let me know and I’ll come up with a different plan. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
                  Participant

Here is our blind search, it was at the end of class tonight and we ran out of daylight, please excuse the lack of lighting. My thoughts during the search: I remember that she didn’t get the entire row on the right and I was planning to revisit that area, her pawing comes in handy for blind hides–when she is attending to a food distractor, she doesn’t paw, just keeps trying to access with her mouth so I did let her go on more than I would have if I had known where the hides were (we can work on that), and lastly, I called alert because I counted 3 ๐Ÿ™‚ I have to say that she was rock-star solid tonight, even during class just prior to this search. It does not always go this way but I am very happy with what she gave me here!!

Kimberly Buchanan
                    Keymaster

Great job! Isn’t it AWESOME when there are 3 hides??? Skye is very methodical in her searching but she’s pretty darn easy to read. I didn’t see her be too assertive with distractor boxes but I thought she was pretty clear when it was odor! The pawing may get you a fault but if that’s the only thing that happens, take it. Again, in practice with known hides if you pay faster before the paw it may fade. Just be sure not to drop food or incur other faults. (You can get up to three and still title.)

Terrific job! You should feel really confident about your teamwork here! ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m going to post the next lesson later today or tomorrow but I’d like to see everyone else catch up a little bit, so stay tuned! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
                      Participant

My observations are; it was hard to find a lot of tall enough containers for a 27″ dog, she does seem to understand that the tops of containers are searchable areas (although it still took her awhile to alert on the big suitcase), she did a half hearted alert on the medium suitcase at 1:28 but didn’t commit (another reason to wait to call in a trial) and when asked to search for 60+ seconds after the last hide, she started huffing in addition to checking the perimeter (I only see one huff on the video but it was obvious in the moment). My challenge in a trial may be telling the difference between the “hey, let’s check the perimeter” that happens in the beginning and the “I’ve found all the odor in containers, let’s check the perimeter”. I also believe that she works harder when on leash as opposed to off leash.

Kimberly Buchanan
                        Keymaster

Good point! Hadn’t thought about trying to find “tall” containers for a big dog. Tho’ really, anything “tall” you might encounter may just be nose height for Skye. ๐Ÿ˜‰ You should see the fun containers Sue & Gracie worked with!

Interesting that Skye didn’t commit to the tall bag but she gave a weak alert on the medium suitcase. I wonder if some of the odor from adjacent tall box was falling on it?

After she’d been in the search awhile she gave an “odor shake” to relieve some of the pressure around (3:43), just after you didn’t pay her for going back to a previous hide. She is still pretty methodical but I think she was working the whole time.

Curious you say she works better on leash. Do you think that’s because Container searches are supposed to be on leash and that’s what you practice most of the time?

Good job Miss Skye! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
                          Participant

There is a high window behind the back box and medium suitcase, it’s very possible odor had caught on the bag. That coupled with the expectation that bags usually have odor may be behind the weak alert. The large bag had a straw folded in half stuck in the top buckle, that was very interesting that she didn’t catch odor at the front where it was open, rather she definitely got it at the back where the fold was (scent movement is FASCINATING!).

When we first started NW, Skye would leave the search area if she was off leash (environmental fears trumped searching at the time), so we have had a lot of practice on leash which leads to better searches on leash. I do see that she is still working with the containers but perhaps not as efficiently as if we were on leash.

Here is the low search; she definitely understands low containers and the huffing happened again when asked to continue past the last hide found. It was interesting to see her struggle with the threshold bag, be successful, then investigate the similar type bags more intensely ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                            Keymaster

LOL! I love at around the (2:10) mark Skye says “I’m done now…” and leaves the search area! ๐Ÿ˜€

She is methodical enough and does a super job investigating the flat containers! And yet, to know she did miss that threshold hide is fascinating. She was there at around (:37) but as she moved on she lifted her nose at just the moment she should have pushed down to check that corner. She was AT the correct spot, checking, at (1:12) and missed it. She stepped on it at (1:31). It wasn’t until she investigated the flat envelope next to it that she determined there was odor nearby and found it. And YES! She did check out the other similar bags MUCH more thoroughly!

I’m curious if this will translate to flat bags in the future. I would recommend using that bag again or one similar to it in the next search to see if it’s as hard the next time.

She’s looking really good, Tina! ๐Ÿ™‚

BTW, I love the flat envelopes. I might use those at some time!

Kimberly Buchanan
                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
                              Participant

Thank you for the compliment, it means a lot!

It’s funny that you suggested using a similar type bag, we did exactly that! Here is our test of high & low containers. I ran this exercise as a measure of learning from the previous 2 exercises and did not ask her to continue searching after the last found hide. The large suitcase is the same but the other containers are different. I was very happy with this one ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                Keymaster

That was awesome! LOL at the end where she stops at the hide and looks at you for payment again. Very cute! ๐Ÿ™‚

I also wanted to compliment Skye on working tight to the walls in the small space. She didn’t avoid the edges and worked them nicely in this space. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
                                  Participant

Here is part a, triangle formation. It is very hot & humid despite being early morning, unfortunately that was the only opportunity we would have for the rest of the weekend so we took it. I’m amazed she even found odor considering she was panting most of the time. I did like seeing the interest in the front bumper of the green car, guessing some type of animal smell. She was very interested but it looked different than odor or food.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                    Keymaster

Great observation on the animal smell! She’s frozen there, not looking to you for payment, just taking in information.

I can FEEL the steamy heat thru the video! Skye did a great job despite the warm weather and actually, I think she’s still pretty “up” and focused in her searching. Interesting that the vehicle she circled first is the last hide she got.

You do a nice balance of supporting her and working thru the search area. You allow her to lead most of the time and by going between the vehicles to the outside give her the choice of working the other side of the vehicle or coming back to the middle. I think it’s subtle but that all helps her.

Good job, Skye! ๐Ÿ™‚

Also – thank your videographer! I know this search is tough to capture on camera! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
                                      Participant

I think Skye does need some support from me, she appears to be searching independently but I have learned the hard way that not being “present” in certain situations will let her down. So basically I let her do her thing while providing back up and opening doors, so to speak. That’s a keen observation on your part!

Her not picking up the first vehicle hide until last was a great reminder that for her, covering an area does not mean that she is done with it. Now to remember that on trial day.

Here is lesson 3B, parallel vehicles. Same day, same weather, different videographer (apologies for the shaking!). I did not expect her to choose this route, I’m guessing she wants to keep me on my toes. When she went through the 2 vehicles, I expected her to pick up on the kitty corner hide. I’m assuming that the opposite side hide must have been more potent in the moment?

Kimberly Buchanan
                                        Keymaster

You have become very good at reading her subtle body cues! Not everyone is able to read their dogs like that. And I think partly it’s because she is so “methodical” and subtle that it forces you to do this. ๐Ÿ™‚

BEAUTIFUL pay-out of the line between vehicles! Really nice!! And then you were very thoughtful when you decided to go between them yourself to work the back end and around to the left side of the red truck. This is exactly what can happen when the wind is carrying a hide from the other side. It is “stronger” in the sense that it is traveling over to the dog’s location and drawing them in whereas the kitty-corner wheel hide odor is probably going in the opposite direction. So despite her being right next to it, the hide on the side of the red truck was calling harder.

Nice job coming back around the back end. You can see when Skye just passes the wheel slightly to the back she realizes there is a hide there. I think if she’d gone to the right side, she’d probably have noticed it over there.

So something you need to keep track of is which way the wind is moving and that will help you know where to take your dog to catch odor from a possible hide.

Nice! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
                                          Participant

Lastly, lesson 3C. This was actually our first search in the set, not certain why I chose to post alphabetically. At the start she shows a lot of interest in that front bumper, I didn’t interrupt because sometimes a girl just needs to sniff until she’s done sniffing and this is practice. Between the SUV and truck hides, I said alert (caught myself) and my leash handling should have been better, it actually went IN her mouth when I tried flipping it over her (plus it’s touching the ground a couple of times). Not my most stellar work but she makes up for it when she catches odor on the passenger side of the green car and follows it back! I suspect some learning is happening ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’m curious how she would do with an inaccessible hide tossed into the mix.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                            Keymaster

Wow, something sure was interesting on that bumper! LOL!

Once again, I feel the muggy heat coming thru the video. Or maybe it’s just because it’s unbearably hot here today. ๐Ÿ™‚

You really do have one advantage in that Skye is not likely to race by a hide. She caught the tire opposite the first and worked that very well! And yes, really nice to see her following scent around to the hide on the opposite side.

Good girl! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
                                              Participant

Here is lesson 4, low hides. This turned out to be a difficult set of exercises for us, finding an appropriate location and dealing with weather issues plus many distractions made this a challenge. We started with 4 hides in each set and that proved to be taxing for her when the weather and distractions were added. So today we only did three hides in each set and wouldn’t you know, we had video glitches. This is our third attempt at yet a different location, still has distractions that compete for her attention (including a gentleman that makes an appearance in video 2) but she does get the job done. The temp is 55 deg, constant drizzly rain with mild 5 mph winds. Other than the threshold hide, she seems to use objects in the area to triangulate the location of the low hides. Her head is lowered for the most part except when she checks the adjacent surfaces.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                Keymaster

I think Skye did a pretty good job! ๐Ÿ™‚ People think ground hides are so easy but reality is they are NOT! You have the air movement to deal with and odors that are moving along the ground, converging with each other and all the interesting ground distractions that the dog needs to sniff in order to find source. Oh, and add in the added smells that are brought up from the soil after a good rain and it can be tricky!

One comment, there was a moment when Skye stopped searching around (1:02). Did she really stop searching due to a distraction? Some dogs NEED to work thru scent problems by staring off a bit. Just a thought?

Oh – and what video camera are you using? The quality is excellent even at the enlarged view! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
                                                  Participant

Skye processes a search area differently than any other dog I’ve seen (my own, classmates, friends, etc) that I’m really not certain WHY she does the things she does. I try to associate what I see in the environment with her behavior but it is very possible that I’m prejudiced and see what I think I’m supposed to be seeing. I honestly never thought that she just needed to process something, I’ve always leaned toward distractions based on her history (which is just my opinion of what happens, she may have a very different story). You’ve given me something new to consider!

Here is part B. This is what she is good at, nose level hides are her easiest and apparently the type we practice the most. She did exactly what I expected her to do (again, probably because this is the most frequent search type) but I did redirect her more than I normally do. The gentleman that makes an appearance was waiting for his wife who was using the attached restroom. This would normally cause a longer delay in resuming searching, I was happy with her recovery time.

I’m using my cell phone camera, Samsung Galaxy 4. This camera is better than my Nikon D3100 DSLR, I wish I had realized that before I made THAT investment!

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                    Keymaster

She did a very nice job on this search and you’re probably right, this is “her height!” ๐Ÿ™‚ I did notice her getting a little distracted, so I don’t know if that’s what it is or a need to process something but I know some dogs need to take that moment. She does recover nicely with the man popping you – yeah! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
                                                      Participant

This is our struggle, high hides. Skye has difficulty climbing or jumping to get closer to source so I find myself not doing these enough for her to get better at them. I’m a bad trainer in that regard ๐Ÿ™ my training plan should include more challenges. The first day we did this search it was a constant rain and we were using a playground, the rain pooled the odor at the bottom of the poles and she couldn’t follow it up. So we went home and I did more sensible high hides in the rain and she did better, lesson learned. So this search does show her attempting to get higher physically and I attribute that to the previous day’s lesson. What I do see, especially at the first attempt on the wall hide, is when the odor is higher and inaccessible, she is more easily distracted. The couple from the previous video is still milling about (at that point I was getting concerned for her well being as it had been a while! ) and Skye leaves odor several times to attend to them. When she comes back to it, she was caught between the wall and the opposite pillar, I held rewarding until I could catch her decision. That pillar probably had residual odor but it was a different scent and she’s pretty well versed in only the highest concentration pays. Still gave her pause in this instance. It seems like high hides on posts or pillars are easier for her to pinpoint vs a high wall hide.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                        Keymaster

It seems Skye was getting progressively agitated about the couple who were there. I would include that factor in a review of this search. A dog will not search if they do not feel safe. It’s a survival thing. (Ron talks about this all the time.) I’m not sure I would say it was due to a higher hide, except maybe distraction was higher with a harder challenge? Regardless, she worked thru it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think I would have paid her on the 3rd hide when you first had the inclination to do so. She was caught between the odor bouncing between the column and the wall but with the distraction happening I think I would have lowered the criteria to get her success. You can always ask for more commitment AFTER you pay. Meaning, don’t move on from the hide, just WAIT until she starts demanding payment again. (I prefer people don’t re-cue since that means find a different hide, just wait the dog out.)

Your leash handling is good, you keep a good distance, don’t get between her and the odor movement (or as little as possible) and I think all that is very helpful! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
                                                          Participant

You have a great point about lowering criteria, I wish you could sit on my shoulder and advise me in real time! Imagine how much progress we would make then ๐Ÿ™‚ Accepting less is something that I will do on my own. I’m able to identify the need and reset to make things easier, yet I don’t do that for these assignments (much like I probably wouldn’t in a trial situation). While this may be good practice for me, it isn’t good for her. Thank you for pointing that out. I will do better next time ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                            Keymaster

Believe me, I have to keep reminding my in-person students in real-time, too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Just think about when she’s having trouble – for whatever reason – there are times you will wait her out and times you will pay early. If she’s having trouble due to an issue of anxiety or of inexperience (and getting frustrated) you might consider lowering the criteria. If you think there is learning to be had, wait her out and give her time to work the problem. It’s not black and white and we have to make a judgement call in the moment so don’t beat yourself up about it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
                                                              Participant

Here’s 4D. Skye gets the nose level and ground hides fairly quickly, as I expected. I believe she catches the high hide at 1:27, works it off the other pillar and hits on the adjacent side of the hide. I waited her out a bit and I don’t think it was the wrong call in this case as she was still actively engaged. Although after watching the video, I think I could have paid her at 2:07, if i was faster lol. The earlier distractions had left and with the 3 previous searches fresh in her mind, she did this search quite well. So my question is, how can I come in quickly enough to reward that split second indication on the high hide without crowding her or having my approach become a cue that she is getting close? This is where I’ve felt a marker makes sense in the past. Although a marker actually ends the behavior, I’d like to have it mean “hang on, I’m coming!”. Is that a possibility?

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                Keymaster

I think the difference is not that you are cueing her but that you are LISTENING to her. She worked around the area checked the different sides, the other columns, narrows it down to that column and at about (2:03) she seems to confirm for herself that it IS that column. It’s when she looks at you (2:07-2:09) and stays there that she’s made a decision, saying “I’ve found it.” The thing about marking the behavior is at what second would you mark it? The first time she threw her head up? When she was on the correct side? When she looked at you first? When she stayed there? Marking the behavior is different than telling her she’s a good girl and paying.

The other thing you can do is pay her the first time, step back (no re-cue or pat which seems to say, “find another”) and see if she tells you again? You might have to wait a bit but if she does, regardless how strong, go pay her again. Do this a few times to encourage her to stay there. This is best with a single hide so the draw to find a different one isn’t there but it may help build some duration.

Also, something to note about crowding; Sometimes the dog NEEDS the handler to step in. It’s not about paying and it’s not about body pressure, it’s about support. Dog is having a tough time sorting something out so handler might choose to step in slightly, “Hm, I hear you, now what is it you’re trying to say?” to encourage the dog to stick with the problem. It’s tricky if your dog reads something else into it but it can be helpful at times.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
                                                                  Participant

Okay, after hearing your explanation, I did a really lousy job on that one ๐Ÿ™ Rewatching the video with your words in my ears was painful! My take away is 1) stop waiting for perfection! 2) be prepared to move in faster when it’s high, new, or complicated hide and 3) support her with my presence, it’s not always a “cue”.

So if I were able to go back in time, I should have paid when I walked in the first time. I had my hand in my pocket, what in the world was I waiting for????? I think that’s WHY she went around the pillar and hit on the other side, because I didn’t pay her on the right side! Uuggghhhhhh!

I talked to her about this and she said she’ll give me another chance ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                    Keymaster

Oh how I wish I could be there in real time! No, you didn’t do a lousy job! With video it’s all 20/20 hind-sight so there’s nothing to be done but take note for the next time. It’s all learning and we’re very fortunate that are dogs are forgiving and will give us another shot at getting our part right. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
                                                                      Participant

We’ll start with the easy one, inside corner. Due to the shade and minimal airflow, I expected the odor to be mostly affected by the metal doors–either sucking in or pushing out, depending on the inside temp. I think the doors did attract some odor but I also think it was moving down the short wall. The odor seemed to be “up” on the doors and “down” on the short wall. She did a nice bracket and then stopped in the middle, hide was approximately 4′.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                        Keymaster

Nice! I don’t think there is a lot of air movement in that corner but it’s nice to see Skye working around the adjacent outside corner to try and find something. Your choice to step in and support Skye was smart and I think it kept her in the game. One of the reasons we work corners is because they’re easy to cut. I also don’t think there is a ton of airflow out of the corner, especially since they’re often considered a place for trapping odor. It makes sense that we will give the dogs success and the next time they’re more willing to check them as routine. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Tina Evrard
                                                                          Participant

Here is the exterior corner. The wind is blowing from left to right, about 5 mph. I fully expected her to use the objects in the area to triangulate source, what I did not expect was for her to “settle” for the post. She looked at me several times at the post and if this had been blind, I may have been sold. I would like to do this search again with a shady corner to see if the heat was as big a factor as I believe. She is also not feeling quite herself, so I was pleased she stuck in there (vet appt on Tues).

• #3366
                                                                            Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                            Keymaster

I think it’s really interesting how she worked off the post (and the bush, too). I kept saying to myself, “if she only had access against the wall on the right, she’d figure out the problem.” Well, when she had access(2:15) she moved off the wall back to the post!

There does seem to be some chasing of odor and it is quite obvious odor is landing on the post. It’s just hard to know if the area next to the building was paved sidewalk and not dirt/grass/bush would it have been easier for her to find source? It’s almost like that section of greenery prevents her from checking the wall closely enough to follow the edge of the scent cone from right to left. It’s not until (3:09) that she gets *just* the right spot to work to source.

You support her beautifully – not obtrusive but present – and allow her to figure things out at her own pace. ๐Ÿ™‚

Of course, feel free to re-do the exercise if you like. I would try to find a location that she can hoover the wall like a vehicle and see if that makes a difference? (BTW, I thought this was a great location! I would see what happens when you place a hide on the post. ๐Ÿ™‚ )

I hope everything is ok with Miss Skye! Sending good juju!

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3371
                                                                              Tina Evrard
                                                                              Participant

I’m going to set these up again over the weekend, the late afternoon heat was a bit much this week and I’d like to see how she works this without that additional factor. And yes, a vegetation free area will be used.

Thank you for the good juju ๐Ÿ™‚

Now I have to have MY learning experience. This is the flat wall, wind moving left to right, it’s about 4′ up just to the right of the sign, done the same day (heat and not feeling great issues present). I get the first indication that it is up and she heads toward the sign between 1:11-1:14. She communicated directly to me at 1:32 and gave a strong alert for her at 1:38…yet I didn’t take it! It was a good 8 feet away from source. In the moment, I wanted her to work it back farther. After reviewing, I’m not certain that was the right call. She lost enthusiasm after that. When I walk in at 2:07 to reward, she veers off ๐Ÿ™ and it takes another 20+ seconds to get her back there and I believe my movement made that happen. I think if I hadn’t kept walking, she would have checked out. So, I need to make better judgement calls in the moment, yet balance that so learning still happens and fringing doesn’t. How do I do that?!

• #3408
                                                                                Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                Keymaster

It can be really hard to know since we may “expect” that the dogs will work “closer” to source. 20/20 hindsight. I think if you reward early and pay well, it will build enthusiasm. Skye was not *wrong* – the dogs know how the odor is moving. We only care about precision because of the false parameters in competition. In the real world, Skye is 100% correct just because she’s saying where she’s catching odor. I would try to concentrate on listening to what she is saying rather than how far from an expectation she may be. I struggle with the same thing, so I can honestly feel your pain! But it’s easier to see on a video after the fact. I would bet, if you reward early – and from source – a few searches, Skye will get closer and closer to source so that it will be a non-issue at some point. It just takes practice… ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3422
                                                                                  Tina Evrard
                                                                                  Participant

I tried to redo these searches yesterday and she’s refusing to work. I’m holding off until we see the vet Tuesday morning, I don’t want to create a negative association. Wish us luck that whatever is ailing her is easily treatable!

• #3499
                                                                                    Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                    Keymaster

Hi Tina – thinking of you and Skye today – how did the Vet appointment go??

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3513
                                                                                      Tina Evrard
                                                                                      Participant

Thank you for thinking of us! We are waiting for test results, if it doesn’t come back as thyroid induced neuromuscular dysfunction then we will schedule an MRI. I don’t know if you caught it but a couple of times in her searches she stumbles. That combined with lethargy and refusing to work recently seem to point to thyroid. I am optimistic that she will be back sniffing soon ๐Ÿ™‚

• #3514
                                                                                        Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                        Keymaster

Gosh, I sure hope that’s what it is! Thyroid function can be related to so many ailments, I had no idea something like that, tho’! Sending good juju! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3559
                                                                                          Tina Evrard
                                                                                          Participant

Skye was feeling better today so we did a couple more for lesson 5. Here is the high column hide. For several reasons, I made this relatively easy for her, hide is 4′ high on a very wide column, wind is blowing left to right at 15-20 mph, temp is 55. My tag point was “listen to your dog” so you will see me fumbling for treats–I guess I can only concentrate on one tag point at a time ๐Ÿ™‚ I did try to support her a little more when she was in odor near source and I think it helped keep her there? Maybe? Or she could have gotten it without me stepping in, time and practice will tell.

• #3592
                                                                                            Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                            Keymaster

The wind sounds ferocious and cold but Skye looks good! She cracks me up with the little “Scooby Doo” move at (1:05) when she realized the hide was behind her! ๐Ÿ˜€

Handling looks good – you give her enough leash to work the area but limit how far out she can range when she keeps going too far (:45+) which then brings her back into the search. I liked that she jumped up to try to get to source. She must be feeling better! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3594
                                                                                              Tina Evrard
                                                                                              Participant

Here is our last submission, high object hide. Again, pretty easy setup but my tag point was “treats in hand”, you’ll see THAT part was better but if I had been more supportive when she was honing in on the sign, I could have paid her at :37 when she told me it was there. So perhaps I should practice some easy hides to get better with MY multitasking.

• #3623
                                                                                                Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                Keymaster

You were so close and ready to pay I wouldn’t beat yourself up for a second or two. Skye knew you were coming to pay her! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 45 reply threads
                                                                                              • The topic ‘NW301: Tina & Skye Cane Corso, NY)’ is closed to new replies.