~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Kimberly Buchanan
Keymaster

It’s easy to get “stuck” in a place in the middle of a room, an exterior area, a container search or vehicles. It’s the same advice about covering your search area, get to the outside perimeter, check your corners, your threshold. 🙂 It looks like the odor may have been blowing quite a bit under the blue truck and for some reason Gracie just couldn’t narrow it down from the other side? Which is interesting because that’s where she began her search and then turned back towards the lawn mower/spreader so it goes to show that dogs often do go to where there is odor even if they don’t finish that problem first.

There is a moment at (1:04) where Gracie is working the blue truck. She starts to go around the back tire but (I think) because you’re standing back and not going with her, she turns back. I wonder if you’d followed her as you did in the opening, and worked that end a bit more if she’d have figured that out sooner? When she goes around the truck (1:45-ish) I can’t see all that is happening but it seems she may be catching odor on the adjacent greenery? She’s definitely catching it on the back bumper (1:50) and again works the rear tire area. She stays with the blue truck for awhile but gets frustrated and goes to the red truck for reassurance. Smart to pay her and again at the mower/spreader.

I don’t know that there is much more you could have done to support her. The hide may have been just beyond her experience level. Note that the MOMENT she goes UP (2:48) she knows exactly where the odor is and sources it nicely. SO, it seems the hide on that running board may have also been blowing UP a bit! She just needs to be a little bit taller. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
    Joyride K9 Dog Training