~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

NW301: Sue and Gracie (English Cocker Spaniel, FL)

Tagged: ,

Viewing 52 reply threads
  • Author
      Sue Davis
      Spectator

I’ve had Gracie since she was a pup, 5+ years ago. Our 4 years of nose work training has all been with CNWIs. She now has 2 NW3 titles out of 4 attempts; we have all 4 NW3 element titles & 2 L1 element titles, Vehicles and Exteriors. Our next NW3 trial will be in October (I hope we get in!). Since I remember sooo little of what happened in our previous trials (I’m always soo nervous) I hope to learn more about the various scenarios of NW3 trials. I’d also like to improve my handling skills and be better able to read Gracie’s messages to me. Kim gives such good feedback, I’m sure I will learn even more than I did in the last class.

So nice to see you and Gracie back again! Let’s see if we can work on some of the mysterious unknowns in NW3 this time. ๐Ÿ™‚ ~ Kim

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

This the first box search. Done about 4:45 Tuesday, still air; 94 degrees; all 3 odors with no distractors.
      She goes right to the first 2 odor boxes, then continues ’til she finds the 3rd at :52. She goes back to all 3 but keeps looking as long as I keep saying check with a hand wave. I see now that we never made it on the grass side of the boxes which I think we should have. Do you think the look at 1:28 is her asking me why we keep searching?

Gracie always shows such great work ethic! She got all 3 hides in about 50 seconds but continues to search for you. Now she’s already been paid a couple of times at previous hides, so that’s not always a good predictor BUT she hadn’t even investigated the other boxes (or odor) yet.

After she gets the last odor, she seems to just gravitate to odor boxes so she can be paid. She has a first “head-bob” at you around (1:17) before being paid at odor again and YES, I believe the “look” at (1:28) was her asking why you’re still having her search. She then investigates the tall box much harder, tries to go out to the grass, gets paid on an odor box again, then at (1:52) goes to the black box where she finds it much more interesting than previously. THIS is what can throw a handler and then the handler convinces the dog it’s important. Perfect move to let her investigate then get paid at odor again.

Yes, you could have taken her around to the grass side possibly, tho’ she seems to have investigated everything quite thoroughly.

Very nicely done! ๐Ÿ™‚ On to PART B! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

This is the box search with distracters. Done at 4:30; 3 hides (all 3 odors) cooked for 45 min; distracters were: pulled pork in the black with grey top shoe box, chicken in the large white Zappos box & BBQ potato chips in the large brown box. Temp is 95 with very little breeze if any.

She found all 3 by 1:04 and all went well until 1:32! I think I would have called that head snap! on nothing!!! Guess that what searching too long does???? But I really didn’t see any indication that she thought we were through, did you? Should I do a pattern search rather than let her go where ever she wants?

Yep, and that’s what we are looking for. Not to make the dog be “bad” or do things “wrong” but gosh, what happens when we put these pressures on the dogs? For Gracie, YES, she had the head snap but she didn’t stick it. All you need to do is shift your weight and she’ll move on. She also found the box next to the grass more interesting when she started not getting paid, as well.

You did start paying her again and for GRACIE, it was good because it won you some favor for when you didn’t pay her. ๐Ÿ™‚ But really take a look at what happens when you don’t pay her. 30-60 seconds of not getting paid, even when the dogs go back to odor will have an effect. Often it’s not something you want to see like falsing or showing more interest in blank boxes or distractors. That’s why doing this exercise with KNOWN containers is so valuable! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

Tall containers: 3 Odors cooked for 1:15; temp is 90; 4:00pm. The hides are in 1) blue recycle bin (may have some food odors but mostly paper), 2) grey bin, 3) under the handle of the brown suitcase. The blue garbage can holds only trash, no food items; the new toilet was not intended as a container – but I guess it could be;-) The black fridge has never been used The ceiling fan was on.

This was hard for Gracie. I think she was frustrated & therefore kept going back to the 1st one she found even though she didn’t get paid again. The odor on the brown suitcase was probably trapped under the handle as it fits very tight against the body of the bag. Don’t know why she didn’t pick up odor on the blue recycle bin unless she was avoiding it b/c she had to put her feet up. We know she doesn’t like to do that!! After 3:13 she kept looking at me for direction or “why are we still here?” After the camera was off we were still at the recycle bin so I jackpotted!! She was happy to go up on it then!!

In part 3 you say to do “2 of each”. Do you mean 2 of each odor? Or, 2 hides on tall AND 2 hides on flat containers? Or, something else? Thanks

Oooo I love the variety of tall containers you have! Really fun! And I appreciate the chuckle about the toilet. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sometimes exercises are a matter of exposure. I think, for Gracie, that’s the case here. She was working really hard and tho’ it took her awhile to figure out where the odor was coming from she kept trying. With enough repetition on this type of hide it will become easy for her. Sure, she was hesitant to put her feet up on the recycle bin but she DID and was rewarded well for it. My guess is it won’t be so intimidating the next time.

Good job! ๐Ÿ™‚

(For Part C, I’d like to see hides on 2 tall and 2 flat containers.)

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

Flat containers: “Hat Tricks” – 3 hides (1 of each odor) placed at 11:00; searched at 12:15. Temp was 90; air was still; GSD is barking & running the fence about 8′ away. Hides are in the first flat box (Gracie walks right over it at :04), the round yellow hat & the beige hat at the left corner closest to the camera. She was able to search through the barking until after she had found them all. Then she stopped to look at Brooker. The other 2 beige hats (one with a red band) had been worn, years ago, by someone she never knew. Wonder if that’s why she spent a second or 2 sniffing them? She really seems confused by NOT being paid for every find, even if this is the 2nd or 3rd time she found it. I assume that’s b/c in the past I have always rewarded every time. Is this something I should be doing routinely? That is, NOT rewarding with anything other than a “Good girl!” for the 2nd or 3rd find of the same hide?

Wow, for Gracie to work thru that annoying dog next door is amazing!! That would drive me crazy…

Re: the other hats – one is near odor, so there could be some odor drifting over. Or yeah, sure, maybe because she was checking out who those people were.

As for her confusion, there is no reason NOT to pay each time if your dog is still working and hunting and you’re not running out of time. I think it’s good to explore what happens when you do stop paying, tho’, just so you have an idea. In the heat of competition people feel the pressure and sometimes change their payment routine so the dog gets confused and offers other behaviors. I think if you’re still paying her consistently in trials, I wouldn’t worry about it.

In this search Gracie is pretty clear when she’s found all the hides. You’re right, she does glance over to the dog a couple of times and then keeps going back to the hides she’s found.

Good work, Gracie! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

This is the tall & small container search done off leash. The temp is about 85, ceiling fan is on, 4 hides cooked about 1:20 mins. They are in/on the tall blue recycle bin, the flat envelope in the far corner, the gift bag on the right & the tall green suitcase (the zipper is open & the hide is about 12″ up) that she runs right past at the threshold. She has real difficulty with that one. In a trial & may have directed her to it since she seemed to be sniffing things all around it OR I would have called finish & missed it all together. She catalogued the one on the blue recycle but came back & went up so great!!!! Proud mama here!

So interesting to see Grace start to give body language cues that there are no more odors after finding only 3! (I think dogs can count! LOL!) But actually, this is a really good example of why dogs need to get AROUND the back sides of containers sometimes to catch odor. it may seem easy but odor can move in ways we don’t expect. Yes, she passed it from the threshold but even tho’ she checked it several times and seemed that she was working odor, she never got to the back until the end.

Bravo, little one, on that big blue Recycle bin! Sure shows that even small dogs can work tall objects! ๐Ÿ™‚

Excellent!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

Kim, What body language cues are you seeing that indicate there are no more hides after the first 3? Just want to be sure I understand what you are referring to. I’d say the going back to known hides & maybe the much slower pace – just sort of wandering around? Is that what you mean? Was there anything else?
      Thanks

Yes, she bounces between the previous hides, looks less enthusiastic, ranges further out to the perimeter and she starts looking at you more and more. I thought it was interesting since it is what I would expect to see with no more hides. She just hadn’t figured out that last hide yet. My guess is the next time it won’t be as hard for her. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

Our first vehicle search is with 2 vehicles parked parallel. Slight breeze is from the rear, passenger side of the truck toward the front, driver’s side of the red Jeep. Temp is 90+, hides cooked for 1.30 hrs and are one of each flavor. I hadn’t noticed the breeze until I went to check again to tell you. Now it’s clear to me why Gracie went to the far side of where we started! Then on to the 2 hides on the wheels. Then we searched the rest of the red Jeep since we hadn’t.

Bob thought I waited a smidge too long before calling both of the wheel hides. My reasoning brings me to ask a question. Each of these hides where tucked just behind one of the spokes of each wheel. I waited ’til she got her nose in the hole closest to the hide. And I was looking at her tail for her commitment. Did I HAVE to wait for the correct hole or would any of the holes between any of the spokes been correct?

Very nice! I always like watching Gracie do vehicles. She looks like she’s out for a walk, sniffing the ground, the edge of the grass, the bushes, and yet after watching her several times in various searches, I *know* she’s actually working scent!

I think you did wait a smidge long on the wheel hides, longer on the second, but I don’t think it’s an issue. Bob is not wrong but there are a couple of things to consider; With a hide that appears easily sourceable yet odor can escape thru many places (including the back of the wheels) a dog with less experience needs a little encouragement that they are correct when they put their nose close and should be paid quickly. Gracie is well seasoned and doesn’t need that boost. Secondly, since we’re working on the handler aspect, as well, you need to know what to read when your dog is working source and has made a decision so you don’t call too early or too late. Gracie was still working out the problem. She wasn’t leaving it, just trying to decide when she’d gotten as close as possible. And you were waiting for the tail wag “signal” tho’ I saw it on the first wheel a bit earlier than you called it. Reality is ANY commitment around that location would have been correct. With wind going in a certain direction, behind the wheel could have been correct. But Gracie hadn’t decided yet. I don’t think you were wrong to wait it out a little bit but I love that Bob noticed that! ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, I want to point out something that could have affected how Gracie worked out the last hide. One of the reasons I wanted to show this channel between vehicles with two hides across from each other (I was nice and didn’t make them DIRECTLY across from each other! ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) is how the handler moves through the space. Watch your location starting around (1:09+) where you mentally feel you must move to the other side of Gracie to the outside of the vehicles. This is a move that works well frequently. However, in this situation Gracie is literally body-pressured off of that 3rd hide. She is very dedicated to the search and to odor so she resumes but you can see where a dog with less desire might be moved on, never to go back. The other thing you could have done is to hold back but move towards the blue truck instead of thru the channel. This would have opened up the search towards the red vehicle without the body pressure. Your distance from her was perfect.

Again, it didn’t matter to Gracie, she worked thru it nicely! But just something to look at when you navigate a search environment. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

Yes, that 1:09 point was a stumble on my part!! I need to remember to FOLLOW her not try to LEAD her! Thanks for pointing that out. BTW, you made Bob’s day! Guess I don’t give him enough credit. Another point to remember!

I’d like to ask for a little help in the rest of the classes with regard to time. If you see that I could have called alert sooner than I did, please point that out as well as the other things you would normally tell me. Or, any way I could have saved a few seconds. Our main goal of course, is to title but placing is good too.

My theory is accuracy first! Gracie is really spot on most of the time and really a great little searcher. What you may practice is consciously thinking to yourself at what point does your GUT tell you something, either to call it or move on? Sometimes you will be correct, other times you may not be correct. But start to have a sense of what your instincts say, even if you’re not ready to pull the trigger and it should give you a sense of confidence. ๐Ÿ™‚

BTW, Bob also does a GREAT job at video’ing! You are very fortunate he’s there to help. Many people have to set up their own video cameras to run on a tripod. It does work but it’s much harder to capture things like going around a vehicle. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

This is the triangle vehicle search. We had to use a lawnmower & spreader for the 3rd vehicle. 1 odor of each flavor was placed as you directed; hides cooked for 1.5 hrs; temp is 90s again (I’m ready for fall!) & no breeze. Another hard search for Gracie. And I realize now that I failed to go all the way around the mower AND the red car. I think I should practice with NO DOG like folks do in agility!!! Anyway…… Also think I need to get better at getting her to move along after a reward. I got stuck in the middle & was of little help to her this time. Good exercise.

It’s easy to get “stuck” in a place in the middle of a room, an exterior area, a container search or vehicles. It’s the same advice about covering your search area, get to the outside perimeter, check your corners, your threshold. ๐Ÿ™‚ It looks like the odor may have been blowing quite a bit under the blue truck and for some reason Gracie just couldn’t narrow it down from the other side? Which is interesting because that’s where she began her search and then turned back towards the lawn mower/spreader so it goes to show that dogs often do go to where there is odor even if they don’t finish that problem first.

There is a moment at (1:04) where Gracie is working the blue truck. She starts to go around the back tire but (I think) because you’re standing back and not going with her, she turns back. I wonder if you’d followed her as you did in the opening, and worked that end a bit more if she’d have figured that out sooner? When she goes around the truck (1:45-ish) I can’t see all that is happening but it seems she may be catching odor on the adjacent greenery? She’s definitely catching it on the back bumper (1:50) and again works the rear tire area. She stays with the blue truck for awhile but gets frustrated and goes to the red truck for reassurance. Smart to pay her and again at the mower/spreader.

I don’t know that there is much more you could have done to support her. The hide may have been just beyond her experience level. Note that the MOMENT she goes UP (2:48) she knows exactly where the odor is and sources it nicely. SO, it seems the hide on that running board may have also been blowing UP a bit! She just needs to be a little bit taller. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

This is our 3rd vehicle search. Temp is 95, breeze from the rear of the cars toward the fronts, 1 of each flavor, cooked for 45 mins. Proud of Gracie for catching it on one side & going immediately around the car to the exact location! The other 2 seemed fairly easy too. After Bob turned off the camera we continued around the front of the red car without her looking interested in anything else. No sniffing grass this time!

Nice work! My only comment is at one point I noticed you were holding the leash up high rather than reeling it in. I don’t think you needed quite as much leash and could have even easily gone with a 6′. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

I’m always unsure of which length leash to use. Lately I’ve stuck with the long one. Gracie reacts quickly to the leash. She is so much faster than I am, I don’t want to influence her if she runs out a short leash faster than I can follow her. Even in this search at :58 I think the tight leash temporarily pulled her back ’til I caught up a bit.

Sue Davis
      Spectator

Next up are our 4 ground level hides. Temp is still 90+/- but shady, the ground is damp. Hides cooked for at least an hour. Except for me dropping the leash, this was fairly easy. Although I try to walk around in circles, I think she tracks me.

Ha! I love Gracie’s little tail wagging under the plant at (:14)! I totally knew where the hide was at that point. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Excellent! She had some definite changes of behavior to lock down some locations, almost completely kept her head down working the ground and did not get stuck on any distractions. Now let’s see what happens when the elevation of the hides changes!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

This is the mid level search. Hides were set out on drizzly rain but it was sunny by the time we searched about an hour later. This took a while but the area was large and there were 4 hides. She knows where 2 of them are – up, but again doesn’t go to the first one until she checks the ground nearby. Also not the same racing about as when she is off leash. Should I let her search off leash sometimes even though exterior is unlikely to be off Leash?

That was terrific! You even included a suspended hide, which can be quite a challenge. Nice big search area and she kept her nose down almost the entire time, so it’s interesting to note that she may do that even with hides that aren’t low to the ground. We see her do that on Vehicles so it is consistent.

It’s fun to see dogs work large exteriors off leash so sure, why not?

FWIW, I keep expecting an alligator to come up out of the river there! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

Yes, there are gators in the river but we watch carefully for them!! Gracie has had that swing hide before. Guess I need to suspend a hide somewhere else for further training.

I had already videoed this search so I’ll do the multiple levels off leash. This is the high hide search. These were set after a rain & the ground was still very wet!! They cooked for an hour, temp was cooler – only about 85!. They were fairly close to each other so I tried to put them on opposite side of the tree/wall from where a nearby hide was placed. For example, the first hide she found, on the spa, is about 10 feet from the tree hide she finds at 1:24. The one at 1:44 is on the opposite side for the last one at 2:14. I think she tracks me so I walked all around the area touching all of the leaves, ferns, etc. The ferns along the edge of the deck/spa are also know to be frequented by a bunny! Do you think she can count?? She seemed to look at me after the third find as if we were finished! But she was very willing to look again for more! I just love searching with her!!

We’ll be on the road (Dogs will be with us) for the next week so it may be hard to do the lessons. I’m taking all my search stuff for lots of new places.

Those are much closer than the previous hides, for sure! Gracie does a nice job of working them out, tho’, especially when you know how far out each hide can drift. I think the way she solves last hide is very interesting, by going under the plant and making a circle under the leaves and up to the hide. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s especially impressive that she was able to solve the last 2 that are so close to each other.

Even if Gracie does track you, she still seems to be working the whole time. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good job!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

Mixed level search. This was done about 3:30, hides sat for 45 minutes, breeze is from the my right as we start the search; and was done off leash. She takes the long way around!! The last hide is in a lipstick tube with the only hole pointing into the greenery (instead of the crack between boards in the step). So it was probably blowing under the deck/spa. It is all open under there. Interesting how she got both hides on the deck from the top. She made the ground hides! She ran right over the first hide she comes to (without alerting!)then checks Mom’s favorite places – trailer & rock fence!

What I liked about this search is you can see how far OUT Gracie needs to go to sort out the high hide with the others in the search area. When she hangs with the tree trunk and goes up at (1:28), I would have paid her right there. (Take reward to source and down to her.) She was saying that is the strongest point of odor, and is pretty persistent. A dog not quite so strong might leave that hide if they didn’t get paid right away. I often explain with this type of hide or those on posts that I envision tulle fabric blowing around the trunk of the tree, taking that scent all around the trunk and the dog chooses what point is strongest as the wind moves it around.

There is one point in the very beginning that Grace seems to be working the ground hide and she may be chasing odor out towards the area beyond the stone wall. (Is there something else that might be of interest over there?) It didn’t truly affect her search overall, but note that by stepping forward you body-pressure her a little bit at (:17 & :18). Watch her path change as you step towards her. I don’t know if it would have helped if you’d stepped BACK rather than forward at that point, but possibly. It may have pulled her back into that space to work that ground hide sooner. I’m betting if she’d been on leash it may have helped to get her to detail that area more fully before moving on. Not saying she didn’t do it later and she seems to work well off-leash, it’s just something to NOTE.

Funny how Gracie solves the problems of the hides on the deck and stairs! Very cute! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

This is our inside corner hide. We are traveling in KY, so this is a place we have never been before, temp is 57, light breeze is from my back toward the corner, hides sat for only 10-15 minutes. I expected the odor to be swirling. At :34 Gracie tries to go left around a grey wall. I held her back because another hide is in that direction. AT :25 & :42 she looks up making me think she knows where it is but doesn’t go to it. Then at :55 she sniffs on the grey wall, does an about face & goes directly to the hide. She does something similar on the flat wall search. I don’t understand what is happening that makes her keep searching when she seems to know exactly where it is.

I think Gracie doesn’t know exactly where it is until she actually goes to it. She is checking and rechecking. One of the reasons I said to only put ONE hide out at a time is because I think adding more odor in the environment is confusing to the dog trying to sort out where one complicated hide is emanating from. It does look like she starts working the other hide as she feels she needs to go around the building.

“Keep each search to ONE HIDE per search. Remove the hide from one area before searching the next so the dog isnโ€™t getting confused about a hide drifting from somewhere else. At the end of a session (depending on how many you do in a row), be sure to have an easy, sourceable hide for your dog to have quick and easy success.”

It’s hard to know if Gracie is multi-tasking, tracking you/something or just catching odor out onto the grass. I see her head lift but I don’t think she’s clear yet. You can also see her checking UNDER the building. Some of that may be whatever is living under there but odor may also drift under the building, either from the hide she’s supposed to be working or a different one.

It wasn’t until the point at (:55) that I believe she felt sure she knew where it was. (We/you see it so it seems simple enough but in reality it is not.)

I would recommend trying this search again, only have just one hide out and have the hide be in an actual corner of a building, rather than the inset of a column, so you have flat walls out from the hide on either side. We want to see how far out Gracie needs to go to figure out the problem so she needs a bit of freedom to work it. Around the corner if she needs to, as well. It’s ok if you can’t find completely flat building sides but take note of where the odor may hit/fall/collect and how she might work it.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

This is the inside corner redone! Sorry about that. Guess I didn’t read carefully enough. I missed the part about setting out only 1 at a time for the inside & outside corners. This was done at home so we’re back on known territory. Weather is overcast, 85, little to no wind; hide sat for 2hours. Looks like she picks it up at about :05 or :06 on the pot of oregano & goes right to it. I had expected her to check the hose rack & perhaps the hose itself.

We have a seminar on Sunday with Jean Richardson!! Excited about that.

Wow!! What a difference! ๐Ÿ™‚

Have fun with Jean! You’ll have a great time! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

We had a great time with Jean!! The concentration was on long leash handling but several of your comments on my searches now really hit home!! “Back up, back up, back up” You have asked on more than one occasion – “Wonder what it would have been like if you hadn’t stepped in at that point?” She also did some converging odor searches.

This is the outside corner search. Still, overcast day; rained overnight so everything is still wet & humid; temp is only about 80! Hide cooked for about an hour. This house has been abandoned for a year or two. Previously it was inhabited by a man & 20-30 feral cats. I think I expected pretty much what Gracie gave me. I think she was multi-tasking. Cats or odor? Odor or Cats? Okay, odor pays so I’ll go for that! Realize now that I didn’t have 2 hands on the leash (Jean) nor did I let it fall to the ground at the end when rewarding & regrasp it at the harness (Jean & Kim).

Wow, talk about distraction training! ๐Ÿ˜‰ You can see Gracie catches odor at the front around (:14), throws her head up, but there are too many other scents to investigate! She notices odor around the side about the (:56) point. Was the wind blowing slightly from right to left? Gracie goes up the tree trunk at (1:16) so my assumption is that she’s checking odor landing on the tree. From there she heads back to the building and takes just a few seconds more to find source.

Especially considering the high distraction factor at this location, you both did a terrific job!

Glad you enjoyed your session with Jean! It’s helpful when what we say is supported by another CNWI. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

Wall search. This was in KY so temp was 55, breeze from left to right. Hide cooked for 20 min. I expected that she would go further to the right & out further from the wall. I was surprised that she spent so much time under the bush on the left. Perhaps there was some eddying (is that ward?) at the bush?? I held her from going down the hill b/c I was afraid I would slip or have trouble coming back up the slope.

I think if you look at all objects in a search area as potential places for odor to bounce off of and to collect, it makes sense that odor would be pooling at the bush. Since you say the temperature is quite cool, it’s possible that the air is heavier under the bush so odor collects/stays there without much air current. It could be different at dog-level. Odor seems to be dropping down the slope (typical), as well. So the fact that odor is emanating out from the hide, it’s logical to assume that any object could be an “edge” for the dog to work.

You’ll note Gracie begins the search and goes to the bushes, glides along the wall and pauses at the drain spout, continues forward but realizes she’s passed odor. She goes BACK to the drain spout to check again. It’s interesting to see her working the grass for odor (again, we know she does this consistently) and the moments where she gets caught up in something “else.” ๐Ÿ˜‰ BUT, shortly after that she throws her head up towards the wall then goes back to the bushes. She is working between the bushes and the drain spout, out to the grass and back to the wall, narrowing down the location of the hide quite nicely. Maybe it didn’t feel like that at the time? But I thought this looked good! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

Here are the pole hide & the sign hide. Both were done in KY so temp is 57+/-, breeze is from my back on the pole hide & into my face on the sign hide.

Pole – Gracie does her usual out & about, then comes right back to the pole hide.

Sign – Since the odor was blowing into our faces, Gracie goes right to it. She only has to decide which end of the sign it is on.. There was a large bug “shell” on post at her first up. maybe that distracted her. Both of these searches seemed very easy to us.

Both of those searches were great! She made quick decisions on both of those AND you didn’t delay in your rewarding! Yeah!

(Uh-oh, I see a little leash dragging in search #2, you must be slacking! ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

This is the column at a building search. Temp is 85, light breeze from left to right. Gracie had a lump removed from her left side on Wed. This search was on Thur so she is still wearing the wrap to hold the bandage on and she is on pain meds but neither seems to bother her during the search, although neither of us got much sleep Wed night. And I’m using a collar instead of the normal harness.

I didn’t expect her to take as long as she did. I let her do the Gracie thing – going out & about. I guess the other column was catching the odor. And, my springer is inside barking. I was keeping my back to the door (Jean’s instruction) but as soon as I moved from there she sniffed the door then went to the hide. So, remember to move, Sue!!

Gracie may have been ranging out but I do think she was working odor. I’m betting there was some drifting to the greenery and she was working the edges.

I think you were smart to pay early. Did I hear you say you didn’t think she knew where it was?

Re: Standing against the door – I’m sure that’s a great strategy but as you note, once you moved Gracie worked to odor. I think we need to think about handling suggestions less as fact and more as possible solutions to try. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hoping Gracie gets her bandages off soon!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

Block wall(?) search. This was as close to a tall block wall as I could find. Not many rocks & boulders in Florida. This was also done on Thurs so Gracie still has the wrap on, so no harness. Temp is about 80, no breeze. I also see leash dragging here. Am I not staying back far enough from Gracie? She picks up the scent from the grass- as usual!

Yes, a little bit of leash draggage here. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m glad you’re recognizing Gracie is actually working when she checks the grass! She worked the grass edge on both sides as well as the middle of the grass. She figured out the problem so I guess she knows how to work it from grass to source. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

This will be similar to a trial day for us! All 4 searches today since on Sunday there is football starting at 9AM (The Dolphins are playing in London), NASCAR, & regular football the rest of the day! Must keep the videographer happy ๐Ÿ™‚
      Blind & unknown number of hides on vehicles search. This was a real challenge!! Still no harness due to the stiches, temp is 75. Due to camera problems & the braking GSD next door we started & stopped the search after Gracie found the hide on the blue truck. Due to time constraints, we didn’t set up a new vehicle search. So, we got everything situated again (No GSD!). This time we started from the other direction. Medium breeze is into my face as we start, temp is 75. I guessed that we took about 2 minutes. B/c of the earlier, aborted search I knew where 1 of the hides was but still didn’t know total # or other locations. The containers are set up in the garage but no odors are set yet.

Sue Davis
      Spectator

NICE!!! Gracie looked really good and you listened to her! ๐Ÿ™‚ Did you notice that she LOOKED at you after the 3rd hide? Granted that’s not always 100% correct to assume all hides had been found but an interesting observation. You sounded confident calling “finish.” I was pleased to see you didn’t insist Gracie re-check all the vehicles “just to be sure.” ๐Ÿ™‚

Good work!

Sue Davis
      Spectator

Blind container search. The vehicles are still in place but the odor has been removed. Gracie is still on collar instead of harness & still on pain meds. I thought the meds were dampening her drive during this search. Hmmmmm In retrospect – NOT! I don’t know what caused the false alert on the red bucket! Maybe me dancing around in that space?

What was really interesting about this search is the false. She actually had been to that bucket and said “no” already. This time she looked at you before sniffing it. Could have been she was telling you nothing is in the area but you looked expectant so she sniffed it? Could be because the leash caught under her at that time? Hard to say. But it didn’t look the same as it does when there is odor. She was willing to investigate all the containers after that but it looked pretty clear that there was nothing there. I think you could have called finish at (2:07) if not earlier. She has less enthusiasm with the way she is investigating.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

Blind exterior search. Temp is now 90, wind is from my left as we start the search, hides cooked for 1 hour, we’re still using the collar instead of harness. Bob set up a very large area. I called finish too soon but we continued so we could find the last hide. Don’t know why she walks past the first hide we pass. Then at 1:36 I notice that there is a leashed dog ahead of us at the far end of the search area so I turned Gracie around to continue. I probably pulled her off the ground odor next to the fence. Then she walks past the hide at the base of the metal sheath. Not sure why. After we cruise around the area again & find the 2nd & 3rd hides I call finish since we had been down the side of the building already. Wrong! I don’t think she would have found the 2nd hide if I hadn’t had her “check” the orange pipe thing. I figured we had searched about 4 minutes. Not a very good search for us. Leash on the ground & tangled in her feet; I didn’t pay enough attention to the wind; should have reversed my circle around the area.

Sue: Space for Kim’s exterior search comments. Hope she’s not too hard on us ๐Ÿ˜‰ Glad it will be cooler for our next NW3 trial, Oct 30 in MD.

————

Well, if it makes you feel any better, that was a Nationals Level search! ๐Ÿ™‚ Three converging odors and a grass hide in a quarter acre of an Exterior area.ย  Your husband is really good at setting the challenges but they’re just a tad more than what you will encounter at NW3. ๐Ÿ™‚

You shouldn’t feel badly about that one at all (well, maybe the dragging leash ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) it was just so big and so many distractions. Paying attention to the wind is good. I find it interesting that Gracie got the middle hide of the 3 on that perimeter. She almost went to the one on the left but moved off of it (wind?) when you went the opposite direction, then missed the one on the right.

You’d have gotten 3/4 so that’s not bad! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sue Davis
      Spectator

Blind interior search. I think my hide setter miscued on this one. We’re back at the cat house in a backyard shed; still using the collar instead of harness. Temp is 75, hides cooked for 20 min. After finding 2 (:40 & 1:10) I called finish & was wrong. Then I called alert just b/c Gracie showed very mild interest in the shelf & no interest anywhere else & was wrong. Out of camera range Bob pointed/touched the 3rd hide & Gracie went right to it. I think the problem was that all 3 hides were birch! The 1st(blue pump) & last (in the concrete block wall) were only 5-6 feet apart. The inside dimensions of the shed are about 12′ x 15′. I came to that conclusion based on a converging odor exercise we did with Jean. Please let me know if you are seeing something else. At 2:56 she sniffs in a hole in the wall. Could the odor have traveled from it’s location through the block to the hole? I thought it was a mouse hole but remembering the cats, I doubt that now. I was sure we took 5+ minutes.

We really enjoyed the session! I’ve gained a lot of confidence in Gracie’s searches through your assessments and learned a great deal too! Look forward to more problem solving sessions. Thanks for all your help!

Oh my goodness! I can “smell” that room from here!

Your hubby sure does like to make it tough! FUN but really hard with the elevated hide dropping on two others! You can see how Gracie is catching it high on the wall to the far left (where you got the false). I think she’s catching the high hide drifting into the corner at (2:56). With that little pocket and ledge, there surely has to be some odor collecting there. Interesting problem! ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s been such a pleasure to see you and Gracie once again, just getting better and better! She works in a very focused way and keep watching that tail! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 52 reply threads
  • The topic ‘NW301: Sue and Gracie (English Cocker Spaniel, FL)’ is closed to new replies.