~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Kimberly Buchanan
Keymaster

Hi Terry – maybe I didn’t say what I meant. You aren’t actually “leading” Taku – my mistake in the way I phrased my thoughts. So maybe erase that sentence and I’ll try to explain again. 🙂

What I’m seeing is Taku kind of sauntering thru the search area and not alerting on the odors sometimes when he’s near them. You do a good job of keeping him in the search area – staying out of his way as he leads much of the time. He does continue moving. However, you tend to keep him in the areas where you know the odors are. Even when he passes by an odor, you bring him back to the area. This has pluses and minuses. The plus is he has another opportunity to notice the odor and get paid. The minus is he is not choosing this on his own, you are restricting access. It’s a great way to work some searches but it has its limitations when the rest of the search area needs to be covered.

What I’m not seeing is Taku investigating outside the middle of the search. Even when he starts to approach the outside parts of the search area (:14, :40, 1:00, 1:18, 1:24, 1:29, 1:35, 1:51, 1:59, 2:07, 2:25, 2:48, 2:53, 2:56) your position and/or light leash pressure keep him in the middle and/or near where you know there is odor. It is subtle. It is not conscious. A couple of the times it was due to an outside distraction. But Taku never investigates the perimeter, never checks the corner containers. You don’t walk on the outside perimeter of the search area and because of this he misses checking about half the containers.

I hope that’s a better explanation? THANK YOU for asking for clarification! Let me know if I can explain it in a better way?

Kimberly Buchanan
    Joyride K9 Dog Training