~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

NW201: Terry & Taku (Klee Kai, Alaska)

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • Author
      Terry Wright and Kai
      Participant

Hi Guys,
        Taku and I are working on passing the NW Trial next month.
        We can use all the help we can get ๐Ÿ™‚
        I’ve never taken an online class.
        Thanks! Terry and Taku

I’d like to add that Taku and I have been working in NW for about 3 – 4 years.
        Taku is 14 and has lost his hearing or at least most of it. And he is environmentally challenged.

One thing we need to work on is vehicles and I know we will get to that, just wanted to say up front that is one of our problem areas.

We went to one NW2 Trial this last spring and only passed the interior element but he did great on that one getting a pronounced ๐Ÿ™‚ He peed in the exterior element, the other two… containers and vehicles it was handler errors ๐Ÿ™

This is one activity that Taku and I can play in together, even tho he is dog reactive. He has come a long way since participating in this sport ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
        Keymaster

Welcome Terry! I’ve edited your header and put your post under the GOLD student forums. All your videos and lesson responses will go here in the “reply” window below. What breed is Taku? I’ll add that information for you. I used to know a lovely Siberian named Taku, many years ago. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
            Participant

Oh sorry, Taku is an Alaskan Klee Kai.

I just signed up earlier today as I was in the hospital yesterday.
              I hope this doesn’t put me behind to much.
              Thanks

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
            Keymaster

I think you’ll be fine, Terry! Especially with Deb’s help. ๐Ÿ™‚

Your first lesson is up so whenever you get to it, please post it here and I will review. Have fun! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                Participant

I have it recorded on my Iphone, I know you must have answered this a 1000 times, how do I download it here?
                  Thanks much.

Terry Wright

Terry Wright and Kai
                Participant

Hope I followed the directions correctly to load the video ๐Ÿ™‚

oh my goodness… this exercise really surprised me on how Taku was hitting on all the food distracters The foods I had out were Cheese & Peanut Butter Crackers, Polska Kielbasa Sausage, Pep-Peroni, Pepper Jack Cheese and Beef Bologna.

There were 3 odors Birch, Anise and a mix of both.

Taku did alert on all three odors, eventually ๐Ÿ˜‰ He was in the pawing mode as he was pawing all the food distracters.

Usually when he finds odor he will look at me. Occasionally will paw and look. I was trying to move in fast to treat.

His favorite food distracters were the Pep-Peroni (right side roll middleish) and the Beef Bologna (right side top).

I did not have any toy distracters out, he is not toy motivated.

I see we need to work with more food distracter in our searches!

ok… 1,2,3…. go…. hehehe

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                  Keymaster

Your video link was perfect! ๐Ÿ™‚

Yep, looks like taku will be very smitten with any distractors in the environment!! I would definitely work more exercises like this. At least in Part B the distractors will be less. ๐Ÿ˜‰ You did a nice job of trying to keep him moving along in the search. His behavior was different when at a distractor than when he expected to be paid for finding odor. That’s one of the critical pieces and you need to keep an eye on that so you can read it well.

I would work the search until Taku willingly leaves the distractors and heads for odor. Rather than luring him away from a distractor just hold the leash a bit shorter so he can’t get to it or is slightly moved away from it and chooses to move on. Up the value of your reward if you need to. For Taku, I would recommend having THREE odor boxes in the next round so he has LOTS of opportunity for success! ๐Ÿ™‚

Ok, on to Part B!

Kimberly Buchanan
                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                    Participant

First, I’d like to apologize for getting a head of what I was supposed to do. The girls were getting together to do Part B, so I joined them.

In this video, Taku showed interest in the big white distractor box (food) at 15 sec. He was not interested in the toy distractor boxes.

At about 46 sec. he showed some interest in the small brown box which was food. Then went to odor which was birch. And went a little faster from the same distractor box to odor at the end.

I’d be happy to do another video since you stated that you’d like for me to have more (3) odor boxes out when I did Part B.

I’ll be sure to wait until you critique before jumping the gun in the future…

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                      Keymaster

Ok, let’s go back to a combination of part A&B – three odor boxes and only 3 distractors but distractors that he would really like. What I’d like to see is Taku eventually working all of the containers but really ignoring the distractors in favor of odor. Give him lots of repetitions and reinforcement that it is odor – and only odor – that will pay! I expect this exercise to be closer to 3 minutes, which will feel like an eternity. But we want the dogs to have a great deal of success to solidify this for them. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve given Linda the same assignment and something similar (with different criteria) to Deb, as well, so you ladies can have some fun! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                          Participant

Quick Question… do you want us to also use some empty boxes?? Or just the 3 and 3?
                            We hope to get together tomorrow to do the videos.
                            Thanks!

Terry Wright

Terry Wright and Kai
                            Participant

NW201.1A/B

After rewatching this video, I am thinking I maybe I should have treated more when Taku was on the odor??

Around….
                              @ 15 sec. He ignored a food distractor (yippie, hehehe)
                              @ 23 sec. Odor
                              @ 37 sec. Food
                              @ 47 sec. Odor
                              @ 1.06 Odor
                              @ 1.19 Food
                              @ 1.34 Food
                              @ 1.47 Food
                              @ 1.59 Odor
                              @ 2.22 Food
                              @ 2.34 Odor
                              @ 3.06 Odor
                              Thanks!

P.S. Should I be saying something like YES when he is at the odor??

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                            Keymaster

Wow! What a breakdown of the search, good job!

This worked nicely! You did a good job of responding to Taku’s changes in direction, supported him when you needed to and stood back at other times. He noticed that food distractor about 4 times, I think. Pawed at it a couple of times but didn’t try to sell you on it and he got paid at odor which was great! I think he had a lot of reinforcement that no matter what distractors are out there, odor is what will pay. Yeah! ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh – and as far as marking the odor find with a “yes” check out my comments on that on Linda’s thread. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                              Participant

Thanks Kim for the feedback ๐Ÿ™‚ When you say Reinforcement… are you saying I am treating him good at the source and getting there in a timely manner?

I did read your comments to Linda. When I started I did say the *YES* I was so excited that Taku got the odor, it was like *YES* you got it!! LOL Now from what I’ve been learning along the way I’m trying to break that habit. And in trial I won’t be saying *YES* I’ll be saying *ALERT* ๐Ÿ™‚
                                Thanks!

I will mark this lesson finished and go onto the next one ๐Ÿ™‚

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                Keymaster

The “reinforcement” I’m referring to is the frequency with which Taku was able to decide ODOR was more important than the distractor. ๐Ÿ™‚

And I understand the enthusiastic “YES!” ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                  Participant

Terry and Taku. NW201.2: This smells interesting!

.28 odor in pink bag
                                    1.11 odor in blk bag on left
                                    1.33 my graceful trip
                                    1.42 odor that I tripped over
                                    2.12 odor tool box
                                    2.32 he was looking at the front door
                                    2.35 odor in pink bag
                                    2.47ish he is checking out the back door

I’ve noticed that he doesn’t necessarily check out each item…
                                    LOL, Don’t think Taku will be breaking any time records ๐Ÿ™‚ And that is ok with me. We are in it to have fun and it’s something that him and I can do together. Not much out there for a dog reactive dog to do.
                                    Thanks

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                    Keymaster

LOL! Thanks for the chuckle! ๐Ÿ˜€

With Taku, I see some of the same things as Molly, just not sure if the two are on the same mental wavelength? You say Taku is a bit environmental and we do see him check out a bit. If you read thru some of the suggestions I made to Linda, you might try all but taking him out of the search area. I think that would be counter productive for him.

The fact that he’s headed to odor at (:10, :14), actually gets to the odor bag at (:19, :47) but keeps diverting himself w/o communicating means something. Yes, he decides to tell you about the open pink bag at (:28) and that’s very nice! But I’d be thinking “why?” is he not telling you about those other odors? He gets distracted at (:58, 1:54, 1:59, 2:28+) and yet he seems not so bothered when you nearly take a tumble! I find that curious? How can you make the search more exciting for him?

I see you *do* pay quickly at (1:10) which is great! But I also see you lead him quite a bit. Sometimes that’s not a bad thing if you need to cover the search area but you take him back to the same places multiple times. If you lead him to a hide and he still decides not to tell you that’s not very helpful in the scheme of things.

What do you think Taku would do if you applied some of the other suggestions?

Kimberly Buchanan
                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                      Participant

Linda and I will be redoing Lesson 2 tomorrow. We found somewhere to do the practice.
                                        Thanks

Terry Wright

Terry Wright and Kai
                                          Participant

Terry and Taku. NW201.2: This smells interesting! Do Over

Wanted to post our Lesson 2 do over before marking it finished. Now I will move on to Lesson 3 It’s up there somewhere!

.09 goes out of search area, catches odor comes back to pail
                                            .29 goes out of search area, comes back in catches odor to step stool
                                            .55 goes out to wall, sniffs it, comes back in
                                            1.00 catches odor hits again on the pail
                                            1.23 hits on the step stoop again
                                            1.34 head snap finds odor in the tub
                                            1.51 paws on empty box close to the odor in the fabric bag on the gloves
                                            2.04 back to pail again
                                            2.24 I bump into step stool, Taku finds odor in purse
                                            2.43 back to the tub
                                            2.25 goes out of search area, comes back in, does a body snap at 3:04, finds the odor in the fabric bag on the gloves. Looks at me and yes I would take that and I did ๐Ÿ™‚

Taku really liked the pail, not sure why… my guess is that the odor was on the outside in a tin held on with a magnet.

OH AND LOOK…. HIS TAIL IS UP ๐Ÿ™‚

Terry Wright

Terry Wright and Kai
                                          Participant

Kim,
                                            I was going to post this over on the other page for the others to try and help me. But I had second thoughts and decided I should post it here for you. And if others have suggestion, ideas they can post them to the other page. I appreciate everyone’s input.

I was wondering if you have a couple of minutes could you go to my video Terry and Taku. NW201.2: This smells interesting! And point out the time where I am leading Taku… I have a hard time seeing it myself. When I’m practicing, I think that I’m just walking around the search area. How do I correct it?

Thanks

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                            Keymaster

Hi Terry – maybe I didn’t say what I meant. You aren’t actually “leading” Taku – my mistake in the way I phrased my thoughts. So maybe erase that sentence and I’ll try to explain again. ๐Ÿ™‚

What I’m seeing is Taku kind of sauntering thru the search area and not alerting on the odors sometimes when he’s near them. You do a good job of keeping him in the search area – staying out of his way as he leads much of the time. He does continue moving. However, you tend to keep him in the areas where you know the odors are. Even when he passes by an odor, you bring him back to the area. This has pluses and minuses. The plus is he has another opportunity to notice the odor and get paid. The minus is he is not choosing this on his own, you are restricting access. It’s a great way to work some searches but it has its limitations when the rest of the search area needs to be covered.

What I’m not seeing is Taku investigating outside the middle of the search. Even when he starts to approach the outside parts of the search area (:14, :40, 1:00, 1:18, 1:24, 1:29, 1:35, 1:51, 1:59, 2:07, 2:25, 2:48, 2:53, 2:56) your position and/or light leash pressure keep him in the middle and/or near where you know there is odor. It is subtle. It is not conscious. A couple of the times it was due to an outside distraction. But Taku never investigates the perimeter, never checks the corner containers. You don’t walk on the outside perimeter of the search area and because of this he misses checking about half the containers.

I hope that’s a better explanation? THANK YOU for asking for clarification! Let me know if I can explain it in a better way?

Kimberly Buchanan
                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                              Participant

Lesson 3A – It’s up there somewhere

This high hide was challenging for Taku for sure. And LOL I see myself circling and circling the step stool.

.32 he hit on the purse and gave me the *look*, I most likely would have called alert on that.
                                                .46 clumsy me again…
                                                .51 on the pail
                                                1.02 back to the purse, didn’t indicate on it
                                                1.27 back to the purse and quickly moved on
                                                1.50 starts to show interest in the step stool (high hide)
                                                2.06 interest in the step stool – thinking I should have take this one.
                                                2:17 step stool then walked away… probably because he didn’t think he was going to get rewarded?
                                                2:45 back to the purse
                                                2:51 back to step stool and walks away
                                                3:14 checks out the step stool
                                                3.22 checks out the step stool and is finally rewards….

Sorry this went over…

Linda thanks for working with Taku and I and for doing the videoing… my phone died.

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                Keymaster

You can see my comments on Linda’s thread, as well. I edited the lesson to now clearly state Interior and Exterior ELEMENTS. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think having the containers there and the lingering odor was just too confusing. This is something I might work with some more advanced teams, tho’ I wouldn’t leave odor containers in a space since we know containers hold onto scent and it can be doubly confusing for the dog trying to decide lingering vs. odor deep inside a container. And also why we don’t store odor containers with non-odor containers. Too easily contaminated and confusing for the dogs.

Regardless, I think a couple of things can be learned here;

Taku was very good at noticing the lingering odor! He was also very insistent a couple of times. You were spot on, IMO, about rewarding Taku at (2:06) for noticing the odor up above. Especially since he’s been in the search, STILL WORKING, for a whopping 2 minutes! Good boy! ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll give you the same choice as Linda, whether you’d like to try a repeat but do the exercise as an Interior Element search or move onto the next exercise? I know it can be hard to find the time and space to set things up so I’ll let you decide.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                                    Participant

okie dokie…. got what Lesson 3 A and B are suppose to be.
                                                      I will get them both videoed tomorrow.

In the meantime should I mark Lesson 3 done??

I leave on Thursday to drive down to the trial in Soldotna.
                                                      Wish us luck in NW2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

I won’t be home until late on Sunday.

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                    Keymaster

No, don’t mark them complete until I have a chance to review your Interior and Exterior searches, one at a time. That will take at least a couple of days so the next lesson will be ready when you return from the trial. GOOD LUCK!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                                      Participant

NW201.3: It’s up there somewhere! Part A Interior

Well nothing wanted to video today ๐Ÿ™ Finally used an old cannon elph and took forever to figure out how to get the video on the computer and then over to You Tube….

For a long time he didn’t acknowledge the *elephant* in the room, hehehe.

Around 1:36ish he does look up towards the hide, you can’t see it as the vacuum was in the way ๐Ÿ™
                                                        The hide was on his side up where the top cord loop is, under the red button, on the back side.
                                                        I did treat him from the odor.

Depending on time… part B may need to wait until I get back from the trial… should be back late Sunday.
                                                        Thanks, enjoy your weekend.

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                        Keymaster

Good choice to go in and reward when you did! Odor surely was dropping down onto the vacuum cleaner. And I like that Taku was willing to go UP to source the hide. ๐Ÿ™‚

You can see how he starts detailing the back area in a much more focused manner after about the minute mark. We can’t see the right or left, tho’ I assume he’s also detailing those areas, as well, and it seems he’s noticing odor, just not sure where it’s coming from. I think for the sake of space a small search like this might be best off-leash. (Be careful about letting your leash drag in the search area.)

What I liked, even tho’ Taku kept checking in with you he still opted to search. ๐Ÿ™‚

Send over your next video when you can! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                                            Participant

Yeah my videographer (hubby) had it in his mind that he had to keep the item that had the odor in view at all times, instead of Taku. He did it with the exterior hides as well.

I will remember that in small spaces I need to have him off leash. I can practice that one again… later.

OHHHH rats, I know better then to have the leash dragging.

Yes, he does like to check in with me doesn’t he… like really Taku where would I go without you ๐Ÿ˜‰
                                                              Thanks Kim.

Terry Wright

Terry Wright and Kai
                                                            Participant

NW201.3: It’s up there somewhere! Part B Exterior

btw, both the interior and the exterior hides cooked for about an hour.

You get two for one with this one ๐Ÿ™‚

I did try to move around to the back side of the tree, but never got back there.

at 1:06 he did look up to where the hide was, thinking I should have rewarded him at that time. The Hide was at the end of that rope where the little know of fungus was.

When he looked up again at 1:15 I rewarded him.

Next was the table hide. It was above his head, but not real high.
                                                              I see him catching odor at 2:18, nails it at 2:30.

Will wait on your comments.
                                                              Lesson 4 will have to be after we get back from trials.
                                                              I’m hoping to use a lot of what I’ve learned so far with our NW trial this weekend!
                                                              Thanks, Kim!

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                              Keymaster

What I found interesting with this search is how Taku is distracted. Initially I chalked it up to him hearing noises in the distance. It wasn’t until I watched the rest of the video that I wondered if he was just trying to go to odor on the table?? It really does to show you how much odor can travel! ๐Ÿ™‚

Once he really started working the odor on the tree he did well. You could have paid him when he first noticed it but in this case it was nice I think by not paying you could see Taku’s commitment to odor. And that is a good thing! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                Participant

Back from the Nose Work trialing weekend. What should I do now Kim?
                                                                  thanks

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                  Keymaster

I posted your next lesson. I think this one will be extremely helpful with you and Linda working together! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                    Participant

NW201.4. What time is it?

1. Bench – time was .48 sec and I said .45 sec. (I saw that he caught the odor around 40 sec.)
                                                                      2.) Xpen (inaccessible) time was 1:51, sorry I could not hear what I said for time (my computer volume was all the way up). Linda did mention I was very close to the actual time. I just held my Iphone to my ear and I could hear what I said better, I think I said 1:50 some seconds.
                                                                      Looking back I probably should have taken Taku’s first hit on the xpen hide… ??
                                                                      3.) Picnic Table – time was 2:43, I called *overtime* meaning that I just went over 3 minutes.

Linda and I are willing to redo this practice if necessary.
                                                                      Thanks Kim.

PS, and his tail is up for the most part. He looks happy… doesn’t he?

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                      Keymaster

It looks like your timing is actually not bad! ๐Ÿ™‚ Well, except for the end. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Did you know where the hides were? If yes, then yes you should have taken Taku’s first indication on the xpen. And don’t get too locked into working only one side of the picnic table because you know a hide is on that side. It looks like you’re crowding him a bit, willing him to find the hide that is there. If he doesn’t, he doesn’t. Figure out what happened (distraction?), make some adjustments and try again in the next run.

If you didn’t know where the hides were, you might want to take note of the body cues that Taku gave around the xpen and maybe support the interest? (This goes for if you know where, too, but it’s especially important when we need to really pay attention to what the dog is saying.)

One more thing, try not to get too object focused. Don’t forget about the objects but work your search area as a whole. Odor travels in the open spaces, too, so sometimes it’s a matter of Taku noticing something on a particular patch of grass to work back to source.

Feel free to re-do the exercise if you like? ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                          Participant

Yes all hide were known.
                                                                            Just went back and reviewed the video again.

At the expen I believe he first caught the odor at .23 sec and just kept going.

I believe that at .31 sec at the end of the bench he caught the odor and kept going.

At .41 he went back to the end of the bench and started working the odor.

After working the picnic table some, we went back to the xpen.

Back at the picnic table I see what you are saying about me crowding him (yes willing him to find it, to read my mind, hehehe), and tho we did look at the other side, I should have maybe went over to it a couple more times. At about 2.34 the leash got caught up at the end of the picnic bench.

I’ll wait and see what you suggest for Linda and maybe we can meet up again to redo this exercise before moving to the next one.
                                                                            Anyone else have suggestions comments feel free to post…. but not here… over on our discussion page ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks Kim for all your comments and suggestions.

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                          Keymaster

Things are progressing! Keep up the good work with a little more practice. I’m glad you’re seeing what I’m referring to. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3379
                                                                            Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                            Participant

If you can ignore hubby, he didn’t follow my directions LOL! Used birch and anise.

The last hide that took so much time, the inaccessible one was behind the square card table on the long folding table at the right corner (behind).

First one he got was the one in the box. I said .45s it was actually around .40s
                                                                              Second one was under the top step of the step stool. Is said .50s it was actually around 1:09 (oops)
                                                                              The last hide that took so much time, the inaccessible one was behind the square card table on the long folding table at the right corner (behind). I said 3:45 and it was around 3:36.

Comments or suggestions for me?
                                                                              Thanks Kim!

Edit… These hides cooked for about 30 minutes.

Terry Wright

• #3399
                                                                              Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                              Keymaster

LOL! So hard to get good help! ๐Ÿ˜€

Actually your guesses were pretty good, especially at the end of the search, to know what time it was within 9 seconds, yeah!

So you had a hide on the table next to the hide in the box? That’s hard! I wouldn’t normally recommend moving hides but in this case I think it was a bit challenging for Taku, even without the added box of odor, so removing it was good for him.

Taku got a bit stuck, bouncing around trying to find the last hide. You – as a handler – would want to take note of where your dog has been and make sure he gets access to places he’s not been yet. I would especially look at the edges of the search area. I’m betting if Taku had gotten close to the wall near the table, he’d have figured that one out sooner. You’re moving up in level and difficulty so you’re going to want to think about not always just following your dog but helping him to search productively. ๐Ÿ™‚

What I really liked was that Taku looked pretty enthusiastic during this search! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3405
                                                                                  Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                                  Participant

I didn’t say up front, but hubby placed the hides, so they were blind hides for me.

I went back and looked at the video.
                                                                                    I believe around 2:42 I noticed the hide that was behind the card table on the longer table.
                                                                                    I was trying to keep him over on that side of the garage.
                                                                                    Around 3:15 he was working on that side of the garage and looked like he was working the odor back to the table, 3:25 he caught the odor and stood up on the table and was right on it, but he went off it. And then GOOD boy he came back at 3:33 and the reward was given at 3:35.

Yep, his tail was up ๐Ÿ™‚
                                                                                    I talk to him… not sure how much he hears anymore. I use arm movements to keep him moving.. like saying *find it* or *find more*.

Ok to move on to the vehicle search?
                                                                                    Thanks Kim!

Terry Wright

• #3411
                                                                                  Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                  Keymaster

You bet! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3428
                                                                                    Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                                    Participant

NW201.5 Vehicle Wheel Well

Hide cooked for about 30 minutes out in the rain.

We started at the front of the pickup, and I was going to follow Taku which ever side he chose to go to.
                                                                                      At .28 I did a little dance. Didn’t mean to block him, he was looking to me and I just wanted him to make a decision to look at me or continue.
                                                                                      At .33 I made sure I was out of his way.
                                                                                      At .50 I’m pretty sure he caught odor.
                                                                                      At 1.17 he went to the strongest odor source.

I was trying to keep my distance from him so not to crowd or push him.

I know we need to practice a lot more on vehicles, it is one of his challenges… to stay with the vehicle (s).

And his tail was up… LOL even in the rain ๐Ÿ˜‰
                                                                                      Looking forward to suggestion and/or comments.
                                                                                      Thanks!

Terry Wright

• #3459
                                                                                        Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                                        Participant

Sorry Kim, I reread the instructions for this lesson and I didn’t follow your directions. I will redo this lesson for you.
                                                                                          Thanks

Terry Wright

• #3475
                                                                                        Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                                        Participant

NW201.5 Vehicle Wheel Well Retake

Odor cooked for about 30 minutes in the rain, no wind.

I he caught a whiff of odor at .24 but didn’t commit.

At .40 he was on it. He got up in the wheel and was looking up, then got down and looked at me. Maybe I should have been quickier and treated him as soon as I saw him look up?? I’m thinking now that I should have.
                                                                                          Thanks!

Terry Wright

• #3487
                                                                                          Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                          Keymaster

Oh, the sounds of the raindrops are delightful! ๐Ÿ™‚

Taku is clearly working odor, nice body language. You could have paid any time between (:35-:38). He dips his head into the wheel well trying to find source and probably comes pretty close.

What I really liked about this search is how on task he seems to be! Maybe Taku likes the rain! ๐Ÿ˜‰

————-

I just watched your previous video – I’m not sure what you did differently? Taku seems to be catching odor but looks confused?

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3489
                                                                                              Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                                              Participant

What I did differently was in the first one… he started on the side that had the odor, in your instructions you said to start them on the opposite side of the odor, so that is what I did in the second video.

I was pleasantly surprised that Taku was so attentive to the truck… maybe it was the rain… usually it’s like he is out for a Sunday stroll. Or like what are we doing Mom… oh look at that blade of grass over there (but now I know he might be picking up odor on that blade of grass ๐Ÿ˜‰ Anyway, the point is that I’ve never seen him so committed to a vehicle.
                                                                                                Thanks Kim!

Will move on to Lesson 6, right?

Terry Wright

• #3545
                                                                                              Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                                              Participant

NW201.6: I can’t contain myself.

#1 – Bedroom in small plastic file box. .11s
                                                                                                #2 – Living room in Cabinet. .09s scratched the back side. rewarded at .16s
                                                                                                #3 – Garage in 3 drawer dresser. .06s
                                                                                                #4 – Shed room – TV stand cabinet. .25s

Not many places in the house where anything had three sides available, so had to do them this way.
                                                                                                Looking back I could have placed the 3 drawer dresser against the garage door and still would have had three sides.
                                                                                                Looking forward to your review Kim.
                                                                                                Thanks!

Terry Wright

• #3577
                                                                                                Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                Keymaster

Taku looks excited to search! This is great! ๐Ÿ™‚

#1 – Interesting choice to place a container below the dresser – your dresser drawer would have worked just as well. ๐Ÿ˜‰
                                                                                                  #2 – There were several points where I think you could have rewarded on this one. He is CORRECT when he’s at the back of the cabinet and telling you there is odor there. If you think of these items as big boxes, the dog just has to say it’s THIS box!
                                                                                                  #3 – I like that you mixed it up a bit with a fast reward on this one. ๐Ÿ™‚
                                                                                                  #4 – Taku WAGS HIS TAIL when he’s found odor (1:33)!! He’s excited and he knows a reward is coming!

Wow – 4 hides in under 2 minutes, including reward time. Very nice, Terry! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3580
                                                                                                  Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                                                  Participant

I went back and reviewed the searches again… His tail wag some in the first clip too ๐Ÿ™‚
                                                                                                    And in the last one he was really wagging his tail… not sure if I’ve ever seen him wag his tail… he just started holding it up over his back. Yea Taku!!

I do have a hard time with going from NW1 to NW2 when the dog can say its in this box, bag, suitcase, drawer, when in NW1 they had to be pretty much right on the source. We need more practice with this so I feel more comfortable committing and saying alert!!

Thanks Kim!! I will mark this one finished and more to the last (sob sob) lesson….

Terry Wright

• #3585
                                                                                                    Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                    Keymaster

Yes, it can be confusing but if you think about that fact that our dogs start with OPEN boxes (sourceable) and move to closed boxes (not sourceable) they’ve been working it all along. The hides you will see in NW1 will not be INSIDE a set of drawers or cabinet whereas in NW2 it very well could be. You want to practice sourceable hides around those objects so you can see the difference. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3589
                                                                                                      Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                                                      Participant

It’s not letting me move to Lesson 7??

I see we now have Lessons 5b and 5c.
                                                                                                        Thanks,

Edited… I see I can get into Lesson 5B, so will get that one done tomorrow.

Terry Wright

• #3611
                                                                                                        Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                        Keymaster

You might need to have 5b and 5c “completed” before going to Lesson 7. It’s a system thing…..

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3616
                                                                                                          Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                                                          Participant

NW201.5b: It’s a wheely deep in there!

Hide out for about an hour.

Watching the video I see that I missed several opportunities to *take less* and didn’t take them…

At .10 could he have been catching the odor from this wheel, from the other side?

At .19 showed lots of interested at the back of the truck.

At .44 is one of the opportunities I should have *taken it*

At .55/57 another one missed… and he looked at me… rats!!

AT 1.08 made up my mind to go for it!

Hindsight sure is 20/20 isn’t it.

Terry Wright

• #3621
                                                                                                            Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                            Keymaster

See, you don’t need me, your observation skills are getting pretty good! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yep, you’re exactly right, and there were many points between (:44-1:08) that you could have taken it. What is nice is that he is CLEAR that it is there vs the other side where he did catch odor but didn’t stay with that location. He is very insistent and stuck with the problem until he got paid.

Yeah, Taku! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3630
                                                                                                                Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                                                                Participant

NW201. 5c: Playing Bumper Cars Left (first video)

I will post each one separately, wasn’t sure what you meant by leaving you room/space…

The hide is in the left front bumper. Cooked for around 20/25 minutes. A time with Birch.

.19 Could he have could the odor on this side (right side) when it was on the left? I will future to say yes?

.37 I committed! The white box in the video denotes approximate area of hide.

Terry Wright

• #3631
                                                                                                                  Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                                                                  Participant

NW201.5c: Playing Bumper Cars Right (2nd Video)

Front right bumper. Cooked approximately 20/25 min. A tin with Anise.

.23 he seems to have caught odor here but I was thinking there was no cracks in the bumper in that area.

.47 caught it under the bumper… yippie!

Terry Wright

• #3632
                                                                                                                    Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                                                                    Participant

NW201.5c: Playing Bumper Cars. Middle

.11 loved his head snap but wrong spot ๐Ÿ™

.17 the hide was behind the license plate, not on it, there was some kind of lip back behind it that I put the tin of mixed birch/anise.

Will wait for you to tell me to go on to Lesson 7. Hopefully I can get it finished early tomorrow.
                                                                                                                      Thanks Kim!

Terry Wright

• #3657
                                                                                                                      Terry Wright and Kai
                                                                                                                      Participant

NW201.2: Which way did it go? Pipe

.11 looked at me at about the middle of pipe
                                                                                                                        .17 pawed at the left end

NW201.7: Which way did you go? Table

.34 he was interested at the left corner
                                                                                                                        .39 he alerted at the right side

NW201.7: Which way did it go? Pile

.10 looks at me after putting head between the dust pan and the suitcase.
                                                                                                                        Looked to easy so I setup another hide in the next video with two piles to see what he would do.

NW201.7: which way did it go? Pile take 2

.14 walks by where the hide is
                                                                                                                        .21 goes to the empty pile
                                                                                                                        .29 goes back to the pile which has the hide
                                                                                                                        .38 sticks head in between the little cooler and the blue box.

FINISH….. LOL A little NW humor ๐Ÿ™‚

Terry Wright

• #3766
                                                                                                                      Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                      Keymaster

Ah Terri – my fault for not explaining the “spacer” posts well…. I will work on that for the next time if it’s needed. In this case I will reply sequentially at the end of everything (have no choice).

Playing Bumper Cars LEFT:
                                                                                                                        This was a perfect search! And YES, Taku caught odor blowing thru the bumper, which is what I wanted to see. He caught the odor but he wasn’t committing to the location. You kept walking, perfect, and when he got to the other side, he turned back and said “HEY, IT’S HERE!” Bravo! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3767
                                                                                                                        Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                        Keymaster

Playing Bumper Cars RIGHT:
                                                                                                                          YES! Taku was saying there is odor in that location at (:23). I would have paid him at that time. This is where you have to let go of expectations and listen to what he’s saying. Then go back and take a better look at the structure. Somehow, some way he was detecting odor there and he was correct. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3768
                                                                                                                          Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                          Keymaster

Playing Bumper Cars MIDDLE:
                                                                                                                            I think his head snap is a good indicator that he’s caught odor! Same as on the left side, you kept walking and he decided it was in the middle this time. Had you not known where the hide was you would “listen” to him w/o “selling” him and I think he’d have done the same thing.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3769
                                                                                                                            Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                            Keymaster

Which way did it go? PIPE:
                                                                                                                              I’d have paid Taku when he got to the middle. Think about how odor moves. It may be coming out both ends, surrounding that pipe. You would never be asked to specify which end. He said the pipe and he was correct! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3770
                                                                                                                              Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                              Keymaster

Which way did it go? TABLE:
                                                                                                                                Taku did a very nice job very quickly bracketing down the search area to where the odor was – behind the table. Anywhere at that table would be correct. And you gave him ample opportunity to decide – and he did! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3771
                                                                                                                                Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                                Keymaster

Which way did it go? PILE1 & PILE2:
                                                                                                                                  The first search was SO EASY for Taku! The second search he worked the room well, but did you notice he went directly from the non-odor pile to the odor pile? Very nice!

You have to appreciate the progress, even just in the few weeks since the course started. I have found it very rewarding, I hope you have, as well! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 46 reply threads
                                                                                                                              • The topic ‘NW201: Terry & Taku (Klee Kai, Alaska)’ is closed to new replies.