~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Susanne Howarth
Participant

OK… Here’s Part C. It’s interesting to watch it after the work we did in “in-person” class yesterday. (This was video’d a couple days before.)

For this video/exercise, we moved to the garage, so as to have more open space. The orange post-its indicate distractors – salmon jerky, stinky cheese, and favorite toys. And the blue/green post-its indicate odor – one of each.

When we first enter the room, Blackie goes directly to the anise (:04) so she sits before I can pay. After that, I was better at getting to her with a treat before she could sit, and out of 13 additional times she hits the odor, she only sat once (if I counted correctly) and I was already paying as she sat.

I do, however, need to beware of the dreaded “Yes!” which you’ll hear numerous times in this video. I understand why that’s not a good thing to say – although one question would be what one does say in practice when a hide has been located – just “alert”? Or does that start to serve the same purpose as “Yes!”?

It was also interesting to note that she frequently sat and/or pawed at boxes that were either empty or distracters. I assume that NOT getting paid for doing so will help break her of her habit of guessing (aka, offering behaviors).

Another interesting observation (or at least I found it interesting) is that she more or less checked out from about 2:10 to 2:18, when she sits down for a good scratch. I suspect she was saying that she was bored, because after all there were only three odor boxes and she’d already hit each of them multiple times. So she checked empty boxes and/or stuff that wasn’t in play, but really wasn’t terribly into it all.

At about 2:24 she starts working again, and after letting her hit all 3 boxes one more time, I ended the game.