~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

This is a document I created for my Intro to Odor students:
        k9nw-working-with-odor-clinic

There are a lot of basics about working with odor – making, handling, protocols, etc. In the past we used to tell people to treat it like it was “dynamite” in order to instill a sense of importance. However, I think the most important thing to consider is how your actions will affect your dog or others whenever you work with odor.

Kimberly Buchanan
        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Linda Bath
        Participant

Why does the magnet need to be on the inside of tin? Accidental ingestion? Had never thought of that. I also learned the hard way that odor does melt some plastics!

Kimberly Buchanan
          Keymaster

Yes, exactly. In the unfortunate event the dog swallows a tin at least the magnet could be retrieved easier. The tin would be bad, the magnet very bad.

The other thing I’ve learned from personal experience is that the magnet on the outside of a tin is much more likely to be left behind! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Carolyn Murray
            Participant

I used to super glue magnets to the outside of the container because I was concerned about ingestion. Took a while to dawn on me that magnets also work when inside the tin. Lol!! Ah, adventures in nosework in remote locations!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
              Keymaster

๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                Joyride K9 Dog Training

Holly Hoover
                Participant

Alls I can say is thank DOG I went to BSD Nationals and met Kimberly….

Susanne Howarth
                  Participant

OK… so I can understand that all of these details are critical when handling odor for trials, because we want everything to be pristine and super fair for all competitors. Similarly, when starting new dogs, I can see that precision is probably important so as not to confuse them. However, for our personal practice with our reasonably experienced dogs, is it OK to be a bit more lax? And if the answer is yes, then just how lax is acceptable? For instance, I’ve never used tweezers or rubber gloves to handle odor, and I fear that if I try to make myself more precise about some of these things, I’m likely to cut back on how much and how often we practice.

Carolyn Murray
                    Participant

Holly – you are one lucky dog! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gina Baker
                      Spectator

Kim…I know that it is hard to give us an exact number of drops or drizzle when preparing the q-tips but how strong should they be? If I can smell birch in a closed glass container across the room – I am thinking that is too strong. That is what I struggle with. A glass container with 25 q-tips, that are packed pretty tight, I have been using 5-8 drops – does that sounds reasonable?

I do not use gloves but do use tweezers – but the same pair for all three – should I change that?

I also store all of my tins together in bag – they are marked as to what scent but thrown in together – ?

Kimberly Buchanan
                        Keymaster

So the protocols are put in place so that NEW HANDLERS are aware that they must be diligent in protecting their environment from contamination and are AWARE that their actions could have negative impact if they are not. (You’ll see me post the word or phrase of being AWARE a lot.)

These are best practices. Do I do this every time? NOPE. Not even for classes. I sometimes touch cotton swabs but I do try to not touch anything else until I’ve washed my hands well. I do store loaded tins in a separate airtight container so I’m not constantly loading/unloading. I do occasionally place pre-loaded hides (tins/tubing/straws) and then touch other things. I don’t worry so much about it in practices or training but I’m AWARE I’ve done so, so if a dog shows interest it’s understandable and nobody freaks out that their dog is showing interest somewhere that odor is not.

Dogs also notice LINGERING odor. So it’s important to know these things. It’s workable with all the other elements but with Containers don’t place a clean box on top of where odor just sat on the floor/ground or the dog MIGHT think that is the hot box. That’s just too confusing for the dog.

As long as you are AWARE of all these things you do what works for you. New handlers have NO IDEA about all of this so that personal document I created for my students is to help them understand. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kimberly Buchanan
                          Keymaster

I recommend all pre-made hides be stored in AIRTIGHT containers, just like cotton swabs. I have multiple airtight containers (of course) and many options of storing my MANY hides. I do notice after a time that the odors mingle and it’s hard to distinguish them from each other. With most of my classes that doesn’t really matter but I do have several newer students so I make sure I have fresh BIRCH only hides or hides that I can clearly tell it’s BIRCH. After awhile I unload and reload as necessary. I keep a large canning jar for my “TRASH” and sometimes use that since it’s considered a COMBO odor now.

One point to make: Dogs will never need to distinguish one odor from the other! But I don’t always want to have that “blend” since they will likely get odor that is A, B or C and not a combo. They might but it’s still important to work the single odors. Nationals are usually just a bunch of combo odors.

Gina – I’ll post info separately about making odor. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                            Participant

I use a jar for each odor. So if I have a loaded birch tin, straw, whatever it goes into that jar. In that jar is also a smaller jar with q-tips with odor. Is this ok?

Terry Wright

Gina Baker
                              Spectator

I should clarify that my tins are empty when I storage them all together is a bag. But speaking of loaded tins – I do keep them in a separate container but not separate by odor. How long can you keep a loaded tin – days, weeks or months?

Susanne Howarth
                                Participant

I have two sets of jars: (1) three small baby food jars, in which I make up fresh Qtips as needed (or refresh older ones); and (2) a separate set of four slightly larger jars, in which I store tins, straws, etc. with Qtips inside. There are 4 of these larger jars because in addition to the three basic odors, one of the jars is a “combo” jar. The purpose of my combo jar is ease of working multiple odors: if I’m in a hurry, I can grab that one jar and know that we’ll be working a mixture. OR, if I want to give more information to my girls, I can use different individual odors for different hides, especially if we’re doing converging odors.

I was intrigued yesterday to notice that my three larger specific odor jars seemed to have almost no odor when I stuck my nose into them. The jars are air tight (or so I thought!), and I didn’t think those hides were all that old. However, I figured that if I can’t smell anything when sticking my nose in the jar, then it’s probably time to update those Qtips (even though my girls have been practicing with those hides and haven’t had any difficulty finding them).

Susanne Howarth
                                  Participant

I just saw Kim’s post #7869 (“So the protocols are put in place so that NEW HANDLERS are aware…”) and that is very helpful. It’s good to know the ultimate lengths one could go to. And it’s reassuring to know that it’s not necessary to follow those hyper careful protocols all the time, but rather just to be AWARE of the impact of any shortcuts one takes. Thank heavens it’s not possible to “break” our doggies!

Kimberly Buchanan
                                    Keymaster

Terry – it sounds like you’ve got a protocol that keeps odor in an airtight container and works for you.

Gina – as long as the hides are not contaminated by other odors it’s fine. You will likely want to refresh at some point but don’t overwhelm your dog with scent. They should be able to work strong scent and weak scent so you’ll want a variety of strengths.

Sue – Yes the odors do dissipate after awhile. The dogs do still work the weaker strength (or should) but be aware that too much or too little odor can be harder for dogs. There seems to be a “sweet spot” of just the right amount.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Susanne Howarth
                                      Participant

This morning’s rain has raised a new question for me. Yesterday, I set some exterior hides in our back yard for part 2 of lesson 2. We worked the hides last night, and I thought I had picked all of them up. However, this morning, when I went out to set some different ones, I discovered that one of the tins had spent the night outdoors — in the rain. I’m wondering whether the Qtips in that tin should be thrown away, or whether they can be dried out and “rehabilitated.” Any thoughts? It was perfectly clean — just a bit damp outside.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                        Keymaster

Hm, interesting question! I would generally suggest throwing them out so they don’t mildew but I think if you can thoroughly dry them out there is no harm in using them again. That’s a new one! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Susanne Howarth
                                          Participant

Good thought about the mildew… I think they’re heading for the trash before they ruin the rest of my pre-made hides!!!

Kimberly Buchanan
                                            Keymaster

I think your dogs would still detect the odor but it’s a matter of storage and contamination with clean odor swabs. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                                              Participant

q-tips are so cheap, I’d toss them too ๐Ÿ™‚

Terry Wright

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                            • The topic ‘Working with Odor’ is closed to new replies.