~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Deb (De) Frost
      Participant

OK, as the leaves fall to the ground, temps drop below freezing at night and my dog starts ASKING to have his coat but on before we head outside, even for a potty break … the annual quest begins anew.

WHERE, oh where to go to practice nose work? I need to find a USED CAR lot with an indoor showroom for Vehicle searches! Seriously, tho … although we’ll probably be OK doing outside searches for a while longer, they just quit being much fun for Baxter once we have snow on the ground and temps sink into single digits and below. ๐Ÿ™

Maybe snowmobile searches at the Kawasaki dealership? Home Depot will be seeing us again …

Suggestions, my friends?

Kathryn Dobyns
        Participant

Places I have practiced – local university and community college (great for classrooms, locker rooms, etc), warehouses, auto parts store, veterinary clinic (lots of distractions there!) and a dental office. I am lucky to have training partners with lots of connections…

Tina Evrard
          Participant

Last winter was the coldest on record here, I was in the same boat even though normally Skye can handle snow and cold temps. Other than friends’ homes and a warehouse we had access to, not much in the way of novel locations. This year looks to be different, a woman in our roving class knows a property manager that allows us to search the businesses that have closed to the public. So far we’ve done a couple of office suites, a sporting goods store, used car lot and a movie theater. They may not be heated but at least we’ll be out of the wind and snow.

Deb (De) Frost
            Participant

Kathryn, who would you talk to for getting permission to search INSIDE a university or school? Would this be during hours of operation or after hours? And if after hours, wow … impressed. I’d love that.

I obviously need better connected training partners! ๐Ÿ™‚
              <sigh> Right now, I just need *A* training partner that is working at about the same level so we can both work the same searches and not have to set up totally separate ones – that just takes so much time, especially if we want to cook the hides at all. The only available “training partners” I have right now are both my own students – friends, yes, but also students – and it seems each meet-up turns into a lesson – for them. ๐Ÿ™

OH, Tina … you are SO lucky! A property manager. I would never have thought of that – what great possibilities. I REALLY need to put the word out to my NW practice group. It occurs to me that I don’t have a clue what some of them do for a living. There may be options out there that I’m not even aware exist. Thanks for the suggestion!

Baxter doesn’t handle COLD well at all. We pretty much limit our mid-winter practices to indoors most of the time. I always encourage others in our practice group to get outside as often as possible – put hides in snowbanks, take advantage of a group of snowmobiles in the yard, use your snowblower to make fun mazes in deep snow and then set out a series of hides along the path …. lots of fun – IF you have a “winter-hardy” dog (a lot of people up here DO, of course, which makes it great). But Baxter is NOT one of them. He’s OK in snow with a coat on – as long as the temps are not too low or the snow too deep. But I cannot keep booties on him (those blasted “dwarf” ankles … I’ve tried numerous types of booties, but they don’t stay on. He flips them ALL off within half a dozen steps without even trying), and between cold feet and his bare, nearly-naked little belly so close to the ground, he is miserable if we have to stay outside for more than a few minutes.

I guess I’m actually lucky they don’t schedule trials up here in AK during the winter months <g>. We’d wash out for sure.

Kathryn Dobyns
              Participant

Deb, I am just really lucky that one of my training partners is a university professor and I have a good friend who teaches at the community college and occasionally lets us in on weekends. My other training partner has access to lots of business property, which we can get into outside of regular business hours.

Kimberly Buchanan
                Keymaster

Kathryn, you are very lucky to have access to as many options for searching as you do! For everyone else, you must just get creative. Use what objects you can to mimic vehicles, work different skill sets, get better at reading your dog, etc. There are a LOT of things you can do without utilizing outside elements when the weather just isn’t conducive to searching. Just have fun with it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
                  Participant

Okay, I am just incredibly lucky to have a training partner with all these connections… We are planning next weekend to search the hanger where her husband keeps his small airplane! So, we will have airplanes – I think only one we can set hides on – and the big open space of the hanger. Any suggestions on where to set hides?

Donna Ewing
                    Participant

We do almost exclusive exterior hides – we just can’t seem to find interiors where we can set up searches. Even our Lowes and some Home Depots around here have quit allowing dogs inside. It’s getting harder and harder to find new places. For vehicles I do have a suggestion. Check with your local UHaul dealer. Explain that the dogs aren’t going to harm the trailers and trucks and you might have a ton of vehicles to search!

Deb (De) Frost
                      Participant

Wow Donna … that is too bad your local Lowes and Home Depots are not allowing dogs. Was there some specific reason why? Up here, dogs are pretty much welcome at places like that as long as they are on leash and well mannered. It probably wouldn’t take much to get them kicked out, but fingers crossed, so far so good.

If it weren’t for HD, I’m not sure what we’d do here in mid-winter! We do have our training facility, but dang, it gets old to try to think of new search ideas in the same square of space every week. Last winter, they let us line up several of their big construction supplies carts in an empty isle and did an “Interior Vehicle Search” on them. It was fun.

I like the idea of a U-Haul dealer though. I hadn’t given them a thought and we have one only about a mile from my home. ๐Ÿ™‚

Keep the ideas coming!

Sue Davis
                        Spectator

Well……………… There’s the obvious ๐Ÿ™‚ Y’all can come on down to sunny Florida! Be happy to practice every day with you!!

We’ve used places already mentioned – HD, Lowes, Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply. But I’ve also used the Toyota dealership. There is a large lounge area for those waiting for their cars to be fixed. Hardly anyone uses it. We didn’t have class there, just a couple of us at a time.

Kimberly Buchanan
                          Keymaster

Here in SoCal we have a really hard time finding places where we can take dogs inside, so Interiors are lacking.

Kimberly Buchanan
                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • The topic ‘Winter search sites ….’ is closed to new replies.