~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

What are some signals from the dog that there are NO HIDES?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

What have you seen observing other dogs?

What about your own dog?

Kimberly Buchanan
        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sarah Sorlien
        Participant

Returning to hides, but with decreasing frequency over time. Ranging away from the search area. Less enthusiasm.

Stefanie Alexander
          Participant

I agree with Sarah’s comments. From watching my dog as well as others’, I see a return to the already found hide as well as a “let’s leave the search area” after about 30 seconds or so.

Susanne Howarth
            Participant

Oh I love this question, having had the opportunity to watch Interior searches at NW3 trials the past two weekends! It was so very obvious to me — knowing the number and locations of hides as I did — when the dogs started trying to tell their handlers that they had found them all. One of the search areas at yesterday’s trial was a clear hallway, with a door to an exterior courtyard. Several of the dogs actually pushed that door open in an attempt to say, “There’s nothing here — let’s go somewhere else where they might be something good!”

The “I’m done” behaviors I saw most were (1) attempting to leave the search area and (2) when recued to “find it,” returning to first one hide and then the other, and perhaps then back to the first hide again.

I think there’s a delicate balance for us as handlers between encouraging the dog to detail the area fully — to consider all the corners and places where odor might have gotten stuck and not been noticed — and keeping them in the area too long. The folks I watched this weekend who did the best work (in my opinion!) were the ones who paid attention to covering the entire area, and perhaps even making a couple circuits, but once that had been accomplished, they called finish.

Returning to that blank hallway search, it was also interesting to notice that as the afternoon wore on, more and more dogs spent time checking the same (blank) areas… Clearly, dog slobber and prior sniffing affected their interest level. So the handler had to know how NOT to “sell” the dog on “finding” something where another dog had sniffed/slobbered, and had to distinguish between that crittering type of interest vs. odor.

Susanne Howarth
              Participant

In reviewing Blackie’s videos from Lesson 2A, I noticed (and remembered seeing at Sunday’s trial) another signal that a dog was done: looking at the handler, with an air of “What now? What do you want me to do next?” It’s not a look back saying, “Here it is! I’ve found it! Pay me!!!” but rather a more questioning look of needing guidance as to what to do, because clearly any odor in the location has been found — or there’s none to find in the first place.

Sarah Sorlien
                Participant

When the room has no odor, Lily wants to leave the room. I actually did teach her something in Tracking/Trailing. The teacher wanted the dog to jump up on the handler’s chest if the subject was not there (odor trail ended like someone got in a car or subject not in the room.) She learned that with the odor, but honestly it is not 100% and it is much faster just to see her lack interest in the room.

Kimberly Buchanan
                  Keymaster

Lack of interest, leaving the area, looking at the handler…

The novice would say, “My dog just isn’t working like normal, there is something wrong” or “But my dog looked at me so I called alert.” Knowing the subtle cues our dogs give us is what makes us better handlers. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • The topic ‘What are some signals from the dog that there are NO HIDES?’ is closed to new replies.