~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Sarah Sorlien
      Participant

Main challenge for practicing with vehicles is the fact that living in the city there are few places to set up the problems of the lesson. Also we have only two vehicles. Since we must travel with the dog to a location, cannot really age the hides, and the car she is in will necessarily be one planted with odor it all seems less than optimal. So we are off this morning to try, but ?I expect we cannot complete all three of the exercises.

Does anyone have ideas on how to set up similar odor problems that do not actually involve vehicles?

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

I show the example with a large cart. You can use dumpsters, too. Riding mowers. Trailers. Gators. Etc.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Susanne Howarth
      Participant

I’m struggling with this same question, and the idea of using other large objects as pseudo-vehicles doesn’t necessarily help: we don’t own any such objects, and therefore we would need to drive to a location where one could be found, which in turn would mean I’d only have one of our two vehicles available, again taking me back to not having the requisite number of “vehicles.” (Forgive me for whining, Kim!)

I’m also concerned, because the girls and I leave a week from tomorrow for CPE Agility Nationals, and will be gone for a week, so I’d like to be able to get ahead — or at least keep up — with the demands of this course. Kim: I assume you will be posting our next lesson today or tomorrow. Once that happens, would it be OK to skip ahead to that lesson, and then wait to find a suitable situation for doing lesson 3? Or does that mess up your training objectives? (I think I can perhaps get access to a third vehicle sometime this week — but it’s likely to be a day or two from now…)

Alternatively, could three of our large LA trash bins (i.e., the residential bins), lined up side by side, with no space in between, be considered to make a pseudo-vehicle? If so, then I can go out and practice today!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

That won’t mess up my training objectives, but THANK YOU for asking! I understand the challenge of getting enough vehicles, as we’ve discovered with the SOTMC, too. (FWIW, this is the first time in my online courses that this has been an issue!)

I will post your next lesson tomorrow so you can work on something in the interim. 🙂

To answer your question about the “vehicle” – sure, why not? You may not have as much airflow underneath your pseudo vehicle but why not try it? See what happens?

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sarah Sorlien
      Participant

I was able to do two of the exercises and posted one in my thread, but I don’t think it was viewed yet. We did have an adventure because security came right after we finished and wanted to know what we were filming…..

Susanne Howarth
      Participant

Cool! We elected to do Part B of the lesson first, so will post that in a few minutes, and can then go on to do Part A with a pretend vehicle later this morning.

Sarah Sorlien
      Participant

Nice Faux vehicle, Sue!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Vehicle challenge’ is closed to new replies.