~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

MW2016Sept: Terry and Taku (Alaskan Klee Kai) Alaska

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Terry Wright and Kai
      Participant

Boy, if I read the instructions I’d be a head of the game…. sorry

Taku is a 15 year old Alaskan Klee Kai, him and I have been doing nose work for about 6 years, taking winters off.
        Taku is environmentally challenged.

We went to our third NW2 Trial this last spring and fringe alerted in one of interiors, missed one hide in the vehicles (we timed out). we did end up with three pronounced ๐Ÿ™‚

This is one activity that Taku and I can play in together, even though he is dog reactive. He has come a long way since participating in this sport, he has become more self-confident in new environments.

There was another NW 2 trial earlier this month, but Taku got ill with pancreatitis and in the process found out he has a mass on his liver (that is another story), so we had to cancel ๐Ÿ™ I assume there will be another trial spring of 2017 and if little butt is here and is up to it we will put our name in the hat ๐Ÿ™‚

Taku found 1st hide @ .52 sec. in the gravel. He first went to the retaining wall, not sure if the odor was flowing to the wall, but he did work back through the gravel to the hide.

We walked to the right hand slope I believe he caught odor when he turned around to walk towards the left slope, he finds the gravel hide again, I reward him again.

At 2:21 Taku walks down the edge of the slope to the left. At 2:24 he turns around heads back to the right, finds it at 2:36, reward quickly.

I get him to continue walking to the left, I believe he caught odor at about 2:48 but kept walking to end of the leash, turns back around and finds the hide at 3:08.

Wellโ€ฆ Taku isnโ€™t going to win any ribbons for speed ?

I see what I think is little nods to odor, but not committing right awayโ€ฆ do you see that, or am I seeing things?
        Thanks

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
        Keymaster

So nice to see Taku out working! ๐Ÿ™‚

He had a huge search area and does a great job of sorting. I really think he catches multiple odors at the (1:25-ish) mark and has to think for a bit. Sure he went back to the first hide but I think he was working more that just that one.

Love the head snap at (2:25) when he realizes he’s passed a hide and goes back to it. Rather than trying to move his nose off of that hide (2:43), just step away and let him come with you. Interestingly he realized this just about where the 3rd hide was. This tells me that there is an air current blowing odor from right to left along that bank. SO, when Taku passed the 3rd hide he was probably working that odor when you stopped him from continuing further (2:53). Better to let him think about it a bit, let him go past and choose on his own to work back to it.

So here’s the thing: Old Man Taku found 3 hides in just over 3 minutes! What a good boy! I hope my dogs are still looking this good at 15! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
          Participant

I agree, it was a large area and I should have probably had a closer starting point.

I went back and looked at the video and I now see where he had stopped at 1:25 and was sniffing the air for about .08 sec before moving on, and that seemed like a long time.

At the 2:43 hide, didn’t realize I had even done that ( moved his nose)! So, Terry… Treat and move on! ๐Ÿ™‚

And when Take passed the 3rd hide, I was thinking… you have gone far enough… we aren’t out for a walk.
            How far would I go before redirecting him back towards the search area?
            Thanks Kim!

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
            Keymaster

I think at this stage, just see what happens. I know I give you guys a 3 minute time but really, I want to see the dog choosing on their own and learning about making that choice. It was just interesting that he was close to the same distance away on the 3rd hide as he was when he turned back for the 2nd hide so not unreasonable. I think he was working the leaves. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
              Participant

Watching the video again I do see that he has his nose in the leaves…. ๐Ÿ™‚
                Thanks for all your observations ๐Ÿ™‚ They give me more things to look for.

Terry Wright

Terry Wright and Kai
                Participant

MW Video #2
                  I posted this over on the SOTMC for Septembers Exteriors – Surfaces.
                  Video taken on September 9, 2016

Ground Work Surfaces โ€“ 2 hides

The front yard on grass, sunny with dapple shade.

Started about 10โ€ฒ from first hide which was at the side of the house in the dirt area with some rocks, next to a mock orange shrub, left of Taku. He found it in .13 sec. From the start line he was veering to the left towards the house and walked down the dirt area next to house, he walked over it put his head between the house the the shrub, backed up to the hide about a half foot back. I treated heavily at the source.

At the .39 sec. mark I swish my arm to have him continue searching across the yard towards the swing set. Walks past the hide which is on the ground next to left leg of the steps of the stairs on the swing set. He walked bout 5โ€ฒ away and I swish my arm to get him back towards the swing set. He caught the odor at 1:18 as he was walking past that leg of the steps and did a head snap.

I think he did a great job ๐Ÿ™‚
                  What do you see Kim ๐Ÿ™‚

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                  Keymaster

Super! Very nice search for Taku! I really like on the first search where he passes the odor slightly and then pinpoints. You also do a good job of reinforcing odor. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think you said he’s deaf now so the “swishing” is to get him to continue searching? Two comments (and I know you have to use what you can with a deaf dog!): Be careful about directing him with your “swish.” He is hopefully choosing the direction based on his nose not which way you are pointing.

For the second hide there is a moment when Taku stops near the ladder. I think it would have been best to allow him time to figure things out rather than direct him again. He was working and even if he took a moment to “think” it’s better to not help him (1:09). Once he gets to the hide he again does a nice job of sourcing and you do a good job of reinforcing source.

Really glad to see Taku out searching! He looks good! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                    Participant

Yes I would guess that he is about 98% deaf.

I don’t know what else to use to ask him to continue searching. I can see where the swishing could be directing him to the hide, especially when I know where the hide is located like for the swing set hide. I’ll ask around to see what others do to keep their deaf dogs searching.

And I guess I need to figure out when he is pausing to *think* ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks, yes I’m so happy to see him able to be doing Nose Work!

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                      Keymaster

That’s why I prefaced my comment with his being deaf. There isn’t much else you can do in a case like that, really. Just be aware that sometimes he doesn’t need that prompting, just a moment of time. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                        Participant

awww I *hear* ya! Quit swishing so much and let him work! LOL

Kind of like people that keep saying… *find it* *find it* *find it*, let the dog work?
                          Thanks!

Now to look for another video…

Terry Wright

Terry Wright and Kai
                          Participant

Third and final video in this MW.

9-26-16 Shed Room, not heated, off leash.

Kim, I remember in a past search in this room (on leash) you mentioned that I should consider doing a search in this room off leash, so here it is…

He runs into the room and then spends some time looking at me, going to the heater and then back at looking at me, I use my swishing to get him to search. Not sure what I needed to do?

He finds the hide at .33 sec. on the pole of the clothes hanger, I reward him. I swish him, he goes to checked out the heater and at .53 sec. goes back to the pole and I retreat. I try to get him to move on (did he not realize that there was another hide?), he stays at the pole, I give him 1 treat, remove hide. At about 1:12 there I go with my *swishing*! He seems to really like that first odor area. At 1:22 he is standing on the vacumm cleaner, I assume odor has pooled over there. Should I have put him back on his leash?

At 1:30 he looks to me, I move to the right, he moves on, should I have moved into the room? I’m thinking I should have moved much sooner to get him to move deeper into the room.

I believe he catches odor at about 1:53. At 1:58 he looks up. It’s on the left back corner in a PEZ dispenser. Watching him work I was thinking that it was going from that corner along the wall to the chair and watching the video that is what it looks like. At 2:08 he stands up and looks at the source. At 2:15 he looks back up, I decide to reward at that point. I’m thinking I should have reward when he stood up and looked at the 2:08 mark. He has been taught not to put his feet on furniture, like counters, coffee table, dressers, etc.

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                            Keymaster

Ha! Ok, let’s break this down!

When you walk into the room, what does it look like? It seems in Taku’s mind he’s asking, “What are you hiding behind your back? Then, “Why won’t you look at me?? You’re acting strange!” (I’ve never seen you do this in a search before.)

๐Ÿ™‚

So YOUR behavior is not supportive of Taku to search. Taku quickly catches scent (:10) but he’s still questioning what you’re doing. Once you give him the search cue (swish) he goes to work and finds the first hide. He is paid and you try to move him on. He begins to check into the room a bit but comes back to the same hide and demands to be paid. You pay him. You swish, he stays, you pay. So what does this say to Taku? “Oh, this is the game where you try to get me to move on but if I stay at the hide I’m a good boy and you will pay me again!” (Right?)

So you opt to pick up the hide and then Taku moves on only after realizing it’s no longer there and he won’t be paid again. But you two spend over half a minute with this dance.

YES, absolutely, I would have suggested you move further into the room. Use that body pressure to push/pull him deeper into the space. Once you do he finds the second hide. You can see him working it at around 2 minutes. I would have paid him around (2:07) for his attempt at getting closer to source. For a more novice dog I’d probably have paid earlier but I would not have delayed payment longer than that. For a little dog to say “Hey, the hide’s up there” when it really is, it’s worthy of payment. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think your review of the search and some “other choices” are good and that’s progress. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
                              Participant

Oh man… what was I thinking?!?! I have no idea why I did that at the start of the search. Might have been since he kept looking at me I was thinking if I don’t make eye contact he will get on with business… Lesson learned! Linda, talk about embarrassing ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m thinking I kept him longer at that first hide because I stayed in the area, I should have moved into the room more after he found it and I swished him. Also, I Should have only let him go back once more and not the third time by removing the hide.

Yes I could see him working the second odor at 2:00. And I agree I should have paid him at 2:07 when he stands and looks towards the odor! I was actually really proud of his work on this hide.

Can hardly wait until the next Movie Week! Hopefully I won’t loose my mind and flake out on my poor little guy.
                                Thanks Kim for all your time, patience and knowledge!
                                Terry and Taku

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
                                Keymaster

Just a last comment, and this is my personal preference, is to NOT remove a hide but find another way to move the dog on. This is generally by NOT paying again AND moving yourself. By moving the hide you haven’t helped the dog to learn that they CAN leave a hide and find success elsewhere. JMO ~

Kimberly Buchanan
                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • The topic ‘MW2016Sept: Terry and Taku (Alaskan Klee Kai) Alaska’ is closed to new replies.