~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

NW570M: Gina Baker & Kalli (Aussie-x, 10-1/2, NY)

Home Forums ARCHIVES NW570M: K9NW & The Senior Dog NW570M: GOLD Students (Private Lessons, OK for all to view!) NW570M: Gina Baker & Kalli (Aussie-x, 10-1/2, NY)

Tagged: ,

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Welcome back, Gina! Tell us a bit about Kalli, the challenges you’ve seen with an older dog and what you hope to get out of this course! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Gina Baker
      Spectator

Glad to be back!

Kalli will be 11 years old at the end of the summer and we have been doing Nose Work for about 5 -6 years earning our NW 2.

Kalli is an environmental sensitive and a methodical searcher.  Several months ago noticed some changes in her behavior so to the vets we go and discovered that her thyroid levels were low.  She is now on thyroid meds and doing well – back to her old shelf.

When she sees the odor kit or the string cheese come out, she goes crazy – whining and jumping (I know, you never see that in the videos) but once we start our search – she come out ready to search but have been seeing changes the longer she searches – more distracting behavior, and less stamina. The heat has always been a factor but definitely affects her more now. Her tolerance for traveling has also been an issue, which determines the trials that we would enter. Another thing that I have noticed and I am not sure if the thyroid meds have anything to do with it or her age – she does not always hitting right at source. I believe Sarah had made a similar comment – the more tired Kalli gets the more she looks at me.

Gina Baker
      Spectator

NW570M Lesson 1

This is our third search of the day – five hides.

First search she did really well.  She was focused and found all of the hides. Of course I thought I had clicked record but I did not – but decided to show how she is after 1 or more searches

Reset the hides – used the same objects but placed them differently. Off leash – she did Ok, less focused, stated to be more distracted – she found three and I decided to put her up. Reset the hides (again same objects)  – took about a 15 min break – outside.

Third search – did on leash to keep her more focused and you can really see how slow she is moving, panting more and definitely more distracted. She did get all 5 hides – with help from me – I gave her the one on the tree at 1:10 –

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

First of all, let me tell you that your leash handling is excellent! Very nice work, Gina!

It does seem the leash keeps her focused. I’m actually impressed that she was working as well as she did having had two previous searches. Was the second search outside or you gave her a break outside?

A couple of questions regarding things other than K9NW; Is she on any arthritis medication and what sort of exercise does she get other than searching?

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Gina Baker
      Spectator

Thanks….I actually really enjoy handling the leash.

The second search was inside and the layout I think was too close to the first search – she was very distracted and pawed at things. So we took a break and went outside for a potty break and short walk.

She is on special food – weight management (image that) with joint care. But I also give her a supplement of Cosequin.

Other than NW we do walk everyday – usually just over a mile but hot weather we probably only go half that distance. When it is really hot out, I have practically drag them home. It has been high 80’s and very humid the last week here – so what I have been doing lately is taking them to where there are a lot of smells and letting smell away and walk 10-15 mins.

I am not sure if I could ever get Kalli on a treadmill!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Have you ever had her thyroid checked?

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Gina Baker
      Spectator

Yes….that was in our introduction. You probably did not see it because I posted that along with our first video.

She has been on thyroid meds for just about 2 months. Low dosage but was enough to bring her numbers into normal range.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Oh that’s right! Sorry, I do recall you said that she was getting back to normal. 🙂

Ok, so I wonder if we should experiment with a different type of reward? I know you said she goes crazy for string cheese but maybe some meat product for the second or third search?

And yes, keep in mind that her stamina is going to be lower when it’s hot and humid. But I wonder if this would perk her up at all? Her problem solving skills are pretty good, just on a slower timeline than you might want. 😉

Thoughts?

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Gina Baker
      Spectator

That is a very good point! I will break out the liverwurst!! I have for the last couple trial used liverwurst. My silly belt that I use for treat have so many pockets that I carry her everyday liver snaps, her cheese for when she gets nervous with other dogs and the liverwurst for hides.

So should I do a video of a 2 or 3 search using liverwurst?

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Let’s try 3 not-too-long searches but just to work her stamina a bit and to see if a change in treat makes a difference. I’d say make the hides mostly sourceable. You decide what will work best to give her some 1 to 1-1/2 minute searches.

First search use your typical reward, second search up the ante a bit and third search use the liverwurst! Give her breaks between as needed. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Gina Baker
      Spectator

NW570M – 3 searches

The 3 searches did turn out to be a bit long.

Tenp was about 85 and very very humid outside

I set up 3 hides in each search – 1 birch, 1 anise and 1 clove. I tried to keep the odor in the same location with switching out items and staring in a couple different directions.

After each search, I crated Kalli as I set up the next search and before each search we took a walk around the building – about 10 mins – to let the hides cook a bit and create a scenario of heat and working her more.

1st search – string cheese

2nd search – pepperoni

3rd search  – liverwurst

She did pretty well – the 2nd search at 2:32 is a good example of what I have seen lately as to not  getting source. I told her to keep working it – she got there.  I am not sure what that is – and it is not every hide, just now and then.

3rd search – she got freaked out – at 3:32 the rain came! It stormed like crazy and the building has a metal roof  – she was very concern that somebody was trying to get in. It took a good 20 seconds but she did get back to work.

I know that the rain was making a funny sound on the roof but to me she was already feeling more distractive starting the 3rd search. I am not sure if the higher value treat made a difference or not.

I will be interested in what you see.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

I have to wonder if Kalli’s fringing “problem” was due to her anxiety about the impending rain. Not sure if it was making noise at that point but she seemed eager to earn a reward. I did see a slight uptick of enthusiasm with each subsequent search, regardless of the stress of the storm. She still worked!

One thing to note; When Kalli is extra stressed, you would be well served to re-reward her where she’s already been paid, just to re-energize and boost her enthusiasm. The hides were not complicated but maybe do less hides per search?

I was actually quite pleased that she searched even tho’ she was uncomfortable with the storm. 🙂

What is the weather forecast? Any storms that you can experiment with a little bit?

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Gina Baker
      Spectator

Actually they are calling for scattered thundershowers for the Thurs and Friday.

If I can get to the club during a storm – how would you like be to set up the hides?

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

I would say make them relatively easy. Try the same scenario you did with simple hides. If you see her really having trouble, I would pay her well where she says and give her a break. If you think she’ll push thru, encourage her to keep going but be sure to pay well, even if it’s a previous hide. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Gina Baker
      Spectator

NW570M Lesson 3 – 3 searches repeat

Here we tried to hit the a storm – it was raining but not pounding down on the roof

Temp was about 74 degrees and very humid again

8:30 at night

Did 3 searches and kept them 1 hide – birch and tried to keep them simple

Search 1 – stated from side – did a nice turn and hit source

Search 2 – 0:28 – is when she heard something and was stressing over it – again at 0:34. At 0:59 you see her looking through the arm of the chair – worried about the door. I have to confused did not see that as clear till the video. As you can see she went to where the first hide and wanted to get paid – I am thinking she did it to end the search.  Wasn’t sure just how to deal with it but knew I had to do something, so I grabbed her harness to redirect her. She did continue to search but still was concern. At 2:18 odor kicked in – I really enjoyed watching her working off the dog walk and circling to get to source.

Search 3 – kept it simple and fast

She doesn’t like storms but sometimes I think it is the building. It is a dark cold building and echos like crazy.

What are your thoughts? What could I have done to help her more? I have tried talking to her but she seems to look at me even more.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

I thought you did a fantastic job supporting her! I think sometimes with hearing and eyesight changing, if not failing, the Senior dogs need our presence even more. The fact that you stepped towards her around (:42) and keep in the area to support her when she was stressed is perfect. And then the redirection with the harness. There is little else you can do but lead her to the area. You could leash her up but it’s about the same thing as being there to support – unless of course, it helps her even more. Your call.

The biggest take-away is that she will continue to work, even when stressed, but she needs you with her.

I think the next step would be to take this on the road. Is there a park or someplace nearby (industrial complex) with few people that you can set up something similar. I would not look for inclement weather but normal temperature, as best you can. What would be good to know is if increasing her reward value with each search – without the added distraction of a storm and a noisy building – helps her to keep up and focused to the end. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Gina Baker
      Spectator

NW570M On the road – new place

Here we are at the eleventh hour! Just to set up the searching day – I was going out of town to tend to a family members’ gravesite and decided it would be a great opportunely to take Kalli. We traveled about 1 ½ hr and spent another 1 or so planting some flowers and pulling weeds – Kalli was a great supervisor. LOL! We then went to the park – Kalli has been in that town before but not at that park – a lot of great places for hides! It was about 4:00 PM, 85 degrees with a warm breeze – and we both were hot and dirty.

There were a few people but not close to where we were.

Search 1 – she got to work and found source pretty quickly – at 0:24 she freaked a little – not sure why but I knew because of the way she grabbed treat – string cheese.

Search 2 – I have no clue of what that thing is but thought it was cool – place an easy hid on it – pepperoni was her reward.

Search 3 – Was the more challenging hide because of the wind but her reward was liverwurst!

Her searches were quick so I pushed her a little to do 1 more search – you can definitely tell she was done, but found the hide – her reward was a combination of string cheese, pepperoni and liverwurst.

This is a little off the video topic but have you ever thought about course in hide placement? There were so many places at this park that would be fun but sometimes I am not sure where to place the hide to be the most beneficial. Just a thought

Thanks!!

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • The topic ‘NW570M: Gina Baker & Kalli (Aussie-x, 10-1/2, NY)’ is closed to new replies.