~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

NW550M: Stefanie & Prim (Bluetick Coonhound/Greyhound Mix, AK)

Tagged: ,

Viewing 48 reply threads
  • Author
      Stefanie Alexander
      Participant

Prim is a 4-year old female hound mix who loves All-Things-Scent. A rescue, she has had issues with confidence and tends to be quite subtle with her alerts when stressed or distracted. Because she prefers to get as close as she can to hides, I believe this class will be perfect for us to communicate with even more synchronicity. A Harry Award winner, Prim has earned her NW1 (May 2014) and NW2 (September 2015) titles. We’re currently training toward the NW3 and tracking in our spare time.

Kimberly Buchanan
        Keymaster

Welcome back, Stefanie & Prim! Can’t wait to see you two working some inaccessible hides! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Stefanie Alexander
          Participant

Can’t Quite Get: we played with a couple of configurations before choosing this video to post. Due to the nature of these four curved back wooden chairs, it was difficult to place them in a “circle” and still be inaccessible. We opted to use the back of a couch to solve this problem and use only three of the chairs–she still could circle around, but it would be more distance than perhaps you were intending. In any case, this inaccessible anise hide is located on the lower mid rung of the middle chair.

Prim takes a bit to zero in on the hide. She moves up and down, back and forth. I could hear her breathing change as she drew closer. Watching her, I like the way she makes a decision and indicates with a three-pronged approach: crouching and attempting to get her nose as close as she can to the hide, looking back at me (and raising her eyebrow), and finally giving a slight right paw tap. That is when I rewarded her as it was evident to me where she was indicating.

Kimberly Buchanan
            Keymaster

Great job! Within 9 seconds Prim figured out where odor was *generally* located. she does a beautiful job of “bracketing” the hide, meaning checking this side, then that side, narrowing down where the thinks SOURCE is located. Then at (:22) tries to get under the chair to be close to the hide. Nice!!

I don’t see the “look” or eyebrows as you may have in person but she does make a decision w/the paw very quickly. Prim is a good example of a dog who seems to be very odor obedient but understands where source is even if she can’t put her nose on it. She also knows she will get paid for telling you it’s there. ๐Ÿ™‚

Not sure why you felt she took time to zero in on the hide? What were your expectations?

Have you worked a hide like this before?

Kimberly Buchanan
              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Stefanie Alexander
              Participant

Poor choice of words on my part. Prim tends to partial perimeter search no matter where the start line is (or where the hide is for that matter), so when I mentioned “takes a bit to zero in,” I meant that although she initially sniffs the far left chair, she opted to follow the odor to the far left back corner. In real time, I initially wondered if she just blew by the hide, but that was very quickly dispelled when I read the cadence of her nub wagging as she was air scenting and making the adjustment to return to the cluster of chairs.

This type of hide is fairly new to us. My expectation was that when she sniffed the far left chair early on in the video, she would have begun bracketing at that point. What I’ve learned from her is that she is a meticulous dog and her nose knows–not mine. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                Keymaster

Great observation! Yes, she may have caught odor at the left chair but since she knew she wasn’t at source she would work in a way that she is comfortable to decide where that odor was coming from. I thought she did a great job of working it so quickly. ๐Ÿ™‚

Love that you are observing her little tail nub. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Stefanie Alexander
                  Participant

She did work quickly. I love that nub! ๐Ÿ™‚

Stefanie Alexander
                    Participant

It’s Over Prim’s Head: this hide is birch and is on the music stand. At about second 8, Prim does glance at the stand, but doesn’t commit. After circling the room, she works from the bottom of the stand up where she does a “look back” alert and I reward her (seconds 30-35).

Kimberly Buchanan
                      Keymaster

Did you see how Prim walked into the space already checking UP! She not only looked up to the music stand she checked on top of the table and the chair. She moves around the room checking up on various surfaces. This tells me the elevated odor is drifting around the room and she’s just trying to decide where it is originating from by using the surfaces in the space.

Prim looks to pinpoint source at (:35). Sure she could probably jump up to get it but why? She was very clear indicating exactly where it was by pointing right at it!

Nice! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Stefanie Alexander
                        Participant

Again, thanks for your keen observation. After reading your comments, I re-examined the video, and as you astutely stated, Prim is looking UP throughout the room. Sometimes I’m literally so close, I miss crucial points. Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Stefanie Alexander
                          Participant

Prim Scary Footing: For this scenario, I decided to use wooden trellis pieces along with clear and insulated bubble wrap. Generally speaking (from our very brief stint agility stint), Prim hesitates to walk through the rungs of a ladder, and I was thinking the bubble wrap would be an interesting texture and sound–not a pop, but a crackle if she were to step on it.

I told my husband to set the anise hide somewhere near the middle of the pile, and I honestly didn’t know exactly where it was, hence the “alert” on my part and then my reward to Prim.

Kimberly Buchanan
                            Keymaster

Ok… So you’re skipping the second part of lesson#2? Too cold?

Kimberly Buchanan
                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Stefanie Alexander
                              Participant

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding. I just went back and re-read “Over my head.” Are there two parts? Did you want an interior (which we did) and then an exterior after comments from the interior?

Weather: it isn’t cold, but treacherously icy.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                Keymaster

Yes, the lesson included two searches, one inside and one outside. Sorry if that wasn’t clear! You can choose to forego the second part if you prefer to move onto lesson 3 and I’ll review your first video in that lesson.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Stefanie Alexander
                                  Participant

We’ll try the exterior later tonight. Due to work schedules, we won’t be home until dark, but we will attempt to do this in a lit area. Again, so very sorry about my lack of close reading skills.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                    Keymaster

Ok, I’ll wait to review this lesson to keep things in order. After we talk about the second part of Lesson #2 you can repost Lesson 3 and we’ll carry on. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Stefanie Alexander
                                      Participant

Very good; thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Stefanie Alexander
                                        Participant

Over Primโ€™s Head/Exterior: We have a treacherous amount of ice here as it has rained on top of the snow cover. My initial thought was to do the suggested elevated search in a tree; however, it is just too slick in our garden.

Background: This is my first time handling while videotaping, so thanks in advance for your understanding and patience :). My videographer wasn’t available and I wanted to film this before it became too dark outside.

Setting: The outdoor location I chose was on our relatively ice-free โ€œLโ€-shaped deck. You can see the garden bordering the deck, all fenced. The clove hide is on the corner of the house above the electrical outlet.

Thoughts: The video delayed a second or two when I initially said, โ€œSeek.โ€ Because Prim immediately went into the icy garden, I re-cued her so that she knew we were working–a tomcat has been hanging out in that very vicinity beyond the gas grill and she is easily distracted.

Prim begins with a partial perimeter search. You can see her working (and slipping!) Thank goodness she has 4-pawed drive! I was so relieved when she sniffs under the edge of the deck and returned to safer footing. At that point, she chases the odor to the door–note the sound of her breathing as she looks UP–, works around the electrical switch, and voila! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                          Keymaster

Very nice! So sorry you have treacherous footing to work thru but it seems Prim figured it out quickly. It does appear that she detects some odor from the path at the edge of your yard. She does a very nice job of working the small objects below the odor as well as the corner next to the stairs and niche of the door. Good job! ๐Ÿ™‚

Elevation doesn’t seem to be an issue for Prim, even in the most unpleasant weather. ๐Ÿ˜‰

If you’ll go ahead and post Lesson 3 again (to keep it in order) I’ll review that next!

Kimberly Buchanan
                                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Stefanie Alexander
                                            Participant

Thanks for your kind and generous comments. One of the many things I appreciate about Prim is her stellar work ethic; she loves to work. Once she’s in odor, she forgets the Alaskan weather/winter ๐Ÿ™‚

Stefanie Alexander
                                              Participant

[Reposted]

Prim Scary Footing: For this scenario, I decided to use wooden trellis pieces along with clear and insulated bubble wrap. Generally speaking (from our very brief stint agility stint), Prim hesitates to walk through the rungs of a ladder, and I was thinking the bubble wrap would be an interesting texture and soundโ€“not a pop, but a crackle if she were to step on it.

I told my husband to set the anise hide somewhere near the middle of the pile, and I honestly didnโ€™t know exactly where it was, hence the โ€œalertโ€ on my part and then my reward to Prim.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                Keymaster

Good job, Prim! You can see that she really didn’t want to step on the “stuff” on the floor but odor spoke loudly to her and she overcame some of her anxiousness to get to the hide. Yeah! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Stefanie Alexander
                                                  Participant

I agree: the odor is speaking louder and louder to Prim these past few months and she is choosing to be engaged and work (rather than being frightened and hesitant). Woot-woot! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                    Keymaster

Baby steps! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Stefanie Alexander
                                                      Participant

Prim Scary Hide Deep: I chose a glass-topped desk in order to do this exercise for a couple of reasons. First, it was the one of the deeper items we have; plus, I thought the glass top would give a good video view of Prim working underneath.

The hide is birch and is on the back edge of the desk near the wall on the metal supporting beam.

As her breathing changes and I know that she is getting closer to the hide, I have every intention of dropping her reward behind the desk as you stated in the directions. As evident on the video, Prim alerts with her classic “point–back up–look” before I can get into position–timing is everything as you stated :). In hindsight, I should have crouched down and rewarded her at source.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                        Keymaster

Another great job by Prim! Timing can be really hard with that exercise. You could pair a hide so you don’t need to be there.

Great idea using the glass table since we can really see her going deep under. Do you think she’d have gone as deep if it were dark?

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Stefanie Alexander
                                                          Participant

Great tip on the pairing of the hide. I will try that.

As for the question about the lighting and would she go deep in the dark, I believe she would, even under potentially stressful conditions. At the September 2015 trial when she earned her NW 2, there was an inaccessible hide under a wooden end table. How did I know? All of the sudden Prim was crouching and literally crawling clear under the table even though she didn’t fit; only her little nub was showing…and wagging! She backed out, pointed, and looked when I called alert. When the judge said, “Yes,” everyone in the room was giggling. That was a learning moment for me that I had a dog that needed to get as close as possible to the source ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                            Keymaster

It’s a great trait! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Stefanie Alexander
                                                              Participant

Prim Scary Hide Between: Prim has had difficulty with the “between” in her outside-of-nosework life, especially when it comes to household spaces, such as between her crate and the guest bedroom bed. In the past, she’s had her toys drop into this area and she would be hesitant to get them herself.

Soooo, I really wanted to challenge her, so the clove hide is on the bookshelf (middle shelf) behind the crate and adjacent to the bed.

Due to her past issues with this space, my expectation was that Prim would jump on the bed, try to get as close as possible to source, and alert. To my delight, this was not the case ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                Keymaster

Wow! That’s awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€

You can see her initial resistance and attempts to find an “easier” point of access but decides that she needed to go in that tight space. Good job!

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Stefanie Alexander
                                                                  Participant

My delay in posting the outside vehicle hides has been our neighborhood: we received 3 inches of snow this past weekend and then it began to rain nonstop during the day and freeze during the night. It has taken the last 3 days to chip the driveway free of ice (check out the impressive layer of ice in the background of our cul de sac :). The unseasonably warm temperatures during the day (38+ degrees F) have made this job much easier.

Prim–Wheel Well: This is a clove hide in the front passenger wheel well. Prim initially begins searching on the opposite side of the vehicle and makes her way around. She has never jumped up on a vehicle before now to alert to a “high” hide; is this a fault?

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                    Keymaster

Poor Prim started out distracted in this search. Normally I’d suggest letting her figure things out but in this case I think it was good for you to keep her focused on the vehicle.

Prim definitely catches odor after you get her back in search mode, dips her nose into the rear wheel well (:33) and works her way up the side of the vehicle. She sticks her nose into the wheel well of the front tire (:38) and you can see she’s starting to raise her left paw. Then she places her paw ON the tire and paws high on the vehicle. YES, you could incur a fault for that. But rather than focusing on the paw on the vehicle and using the leash to prevent her from doing that, I would suggest just getting in and paying her faster.

It is a split second move but I challenge you to BEAT Prim to reward before a paw. Should be easy enough when you know where odor is. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Stefanie Alexander
                                                                      Participant

Yes, Prim was very distracted in the above search. At the time, I heard the neighbor’s dogs barking, but I tuned them out. Prim should have done the same ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, I will try the challenge and attempt to beat Prim with the reward before she uses her paw. Overall, I was so taken aback because that is a new behavior (literally climbing up on a vehicle) for her. I need to work on paying faster.

Stefanie Alexander
                                                                        Participant

Prim Getting Dirty (leaf spring): This anise hide is located on the rear driver’s wheel. When we begin, I do notice on the video that I pulled her off (sec 8) from the residual of the previous hide (“wheel well” was taped at same time); in hind sight, I need to let her work through things.

She does catch odor and sniffs the perimeter’s ice and foliage, working back to the driver’s mirror. She jumps up, but doesn’t paw the vehicle and doesn’t alert–good girl. She then works her way down to the hide.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                          Keymaster

Prim did a great job! She does seem to get distracted but doesn’t seem to have any problems working a vehicle. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think I would have paid her at any point after (:28) but by (:32) for sure as she started to raise her paw. You waited until (:35) for 2 paws and a look. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Be careful about leading her one way or another around the vehicle. Now, YES, you will need to move her along if she is stuck but if she’d caught odor from that side and wanted to go around the rear to the hide your body language was in disagreement and said “no, we’re going around the front.” In the whole scheme of things, not necessarily “wrong” or “bad” but something to be conscious of when working something that Prim can get around either way. Try to let her be the leader.

๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #5666
                                                                            Stefanie Alexander
                                                                            Participant

Yes, what is very apparent in that video is that I need to let Prim drive ๐Ÿ™‚ Also, as I’ve stated repeatedly after watching the videos from these online sessions, I need to pay faster. I go in with every intention of doing that and in the moment, I find it takes me forever to do so.

• #5673
                                                                              Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                              Keymaster

๐Ÿ˜€

If you think of BEATING Prim to the hide, that might help. Either way she’s doing a great job. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #5685
                                                                                Stefanie Alexander
                                                                                Participant

Thanks so much; that does resonate with me. The videos are really telling and I’m taking what I’m seeing to heart: she’s communicating and reiterating and I’m controlling and hesitating.

• #5686
                                                                                  Stefanie Alexander
                                                                                  Participant

Prim Thank Dog: This was an accessible, blind birch hide. Prim nearly false alerts on fringe, but then continues on. I know why you call this one “Thank Dog” and so does Prim by her body language ๐Ÿ™‚

• #5689
                                                                                    Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                    Keymaster

LOL! And with your unsure question “Is that right?” Prim had to wait for her reward! ๐Ÿ˜‰ What a good girl! And YES, SHE was sure! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #5690
                                                                                      Stefanie Alexander
                                                                                      Participant

Prim and Bumpers: between each of these 3 hides, Prim and I are in the house waiting, me more patiently than the hound ๐Ÿ™‚

Bumper #1: This hide is birch and is located on the front bumper on the passenger side. The wind was blowing across the vehicle towards Prim.

Bumper #2: This clove hide is on the back bumper driver’s side. Prim begins by air scenting very early on. I am slow to pay.

Bumper #3: this is a different vehicle and the anise hide is on the front middle bumper. The third time’s a charm! ๐Ÿ™‚

• #5691
                                                                                        Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                        Keymaster

Fantastic! She really did remarkably well on all 3 of these searches! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #5695
                                                                                          Stefanie Alexander
                                                                                          Participant

Thanks; I was thrilled with her performance on these three searches! ๐Ÿ™‚

• #5699
                                                                                            Stefanie Alexander
                                                                                            Participant

Seams I: this is the lower of the two hides in this series, clove. Around second 12, I accidentally rattle the treat/reward bag and you’ll notice Prim wondering if she needs to alert. We move on (whew!). She does a great job and I’m slow to pay.

Here is a shot of the hide in the door.

Seams II: this is the higher of the two hides in the series, anise, on a different vehicle. The odor was blowing along the length of the vehicle–Prim checks both wheel wells before alerting on the correct spot. A new neighbor was out talking on his phone and smoking; Prim was initially distracted, but I was pleased at how well she worked through this.

Here is a shot of the hide in the door.

Comparing the two searches: in both, she begins on the opposite side of where the hides are located. She works well on both, although the higher of the hides takes longer to pinpoint–I’m thinking the odor on this one was really swirling low and parallel to the door by watching Prim’s body language.

• #5703
                                                                                              Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                              Keymaster

I would agree with you. It looks like the higher odor is moving along the side of the vehicle from wheel well to wheel well.

Good observation of what is happening in the search, too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #5705
                                                                                                Stefanie Alexander
                                                                                                Participant

Prim Container: This birch hide is in the oak tv cart. Although Prim finds this inaccessible hide within 10 seconds, she is hesitant when I open the door to reward her at source.

• #5707
                                                                                                  Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                  Keymaster

I like that she solved the problem quickly! ANYwhere on the cabinet would be good and she made a decision! ๐Ÿ™‚

One thing you might consider next time you work an exercise like this and if she is hesitant to put her head in the cabinet is to then pair the hide but only after she’s determined odor is there and you’ve paid her. If she won’t go in to source, place a piece of food on/near the hide and just wait. See if she’s willing to go in at that point.

Good girl Prim! She’s done remarkably well with all the challenges in the past few weeks! I hope you’ve seen improvements and an ability to read her when the hide is not available for sourcing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #5713
                                                                                                    Stefanie Alexander
                                                                                                    Participant

Yay! I, too, really appreciate that Prim solved the problem quickly and more importantly, she made a decision–this has been an issue in the past. ๐Ÿ™‚

If Prim is tentative, I will do the pairing in the future (after she’s determined the odor is there and she’s been paid). Truthfully, I was so taken aback that she literally ran out of the room when I was attempting to show her the source–she has come so very far in the three years that we’ve had her that I forget there are still things that may make her (or any dog) hesitant. [Note: On Monday, we celebrated Prim’s Forever Home Day, the anniversary that the shelter in Utah flew her up to us in Alaska sight unseen. Terrified, “jobless”, untrusting, and misunderstood, Prim found an identity and a purpose with K9 nose work. Can’t tell you how grateful we are to scent sports to keep our young lady happy and healthy!]

Especially thrilled with her progress in the last few weeks, I believe Prim is making great strides, especially with her confidence. She loves her “job” and is happiest when we are operating like a team. I, too, and beginning to understand and read her when the hide is not readily available. She communicates exceedingly well with her pointing and her need to get as close as possible, so I need to zoom in and reward my greyhound fast girl as she’s getting her emphatic paw ready to strike ๐Ÿ™‚

Many thanks to you and your spot-on commentary! Please know that your suggestions and keen observations have made a world of difference. Also, the clearly worded lessons with their thoughtfully constructed objectives have been very helpful as well. I like the challenging scenarios and the targeted practice has been what we’re really needed. We look forward to the next online class ๐Ÿ™‚

• #5715
                                                                                                      Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                      Keymaster

Thank you so much, Stefanie! I really appreciate the feedback! I can only give you input of what I see in the moment – and of course for online instruction that moment is well past. It can be hard to absorb the information and apply it the next time so I appreciate the efforts it takes to incorporate the training into practice. It’s been a pleasure to work with you and Prim and I look forward to seeing you both in future classes. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 48 reply threads
                                                                                                    • The topic ‘NW550M: Stefanie & Prim (Bluetick Coonhound/Greyhound Mix, AK)’ is closed to new replies.