~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

NW525: Cheryl & Joey (Papillon, So California)

Tagged: ,

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Cheryl Winblad
      Participant

Joey is just turning 2 years old. He had no socialization as a puppy till I got him at 10 weeks. Joey came to me as a stressed environmentally sensitive dog, who distrusts people. He has high prey drive but low food and toy drive. I started him on odor first as he had a tough time accepting treats, but he loved me to get all exited and go crazy and happy. Joey now likes his treats and will play tug and tennis ball when not stressed. Motivating him can be a challenge. I started Joey in NW at about 14 weeks as a way to have something we could connect with. We passed our ORT at 7months of age and our NW1 in July. He now loves our Nosework training at home and if he is bored he will bug me to play sniffy games with him.

I hope to have a bit of a do over and start again with a dog who is more mature.
      My goals are to increase Joey’s motivation/drive.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Welcome Cheryl & Joey! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Hey Cheryl – are you out there!? We’ve not heard from you and Joey!?

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Cheryl Winblad
      Participant

Back from vacation didn’t realize I would not have internet connection.

Here is Joey’s regular search at home in the backyard. I try to do at least 1 search a week here as it is his lizard hunting wall. We started down wind of the hides, it was just a light breeze. 3 hides 1 of each odor. The 1st was buried pretty deep between rocks. Second was a straw in the crack and I really wanted him to come down off the wall while he was searching but he would not. 3rd is not in focus and a bit to far away, but it was a hide on a metal lattice leaning against the tree.

Cheryl Winblad
      Participant

Another Exterior search, the grass was wet and Joey did not want to walk on it. Cool morning, no breeze. Three hides all 3 odors. He almost walk on top of 1st- 2 as he was trying avoiding getting his feet wet. 3rd hide is on the underside of the table the top is not solid it has wooden slats. He passed by it once with a hint he may have caught the odor. As I watch this video my leash handling makes me cringe.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Hey Cheryl, welcome back! ๐Ÿ™‚

(Remember to only post one video at a time so the comments stay in sequence. I’ll comment on the first video here first.)

You have a nice beginning to the search, your cue to release him is accompanied by a step which seems to help him get focused. I notice you do tend to step forward when he freezes. I’m guessing that’s because of the lizard distraction?

I really really enjoyed watching Joey work out the second hide! He of course, chose to work above the wall, and you did a nice job mirroring his moves, staying off away from him (less body pressure) and he picked it out after a few bits of bracketing. I also really like your payment schedule with him. Reinforcing the source but not paying the “head bob” offer (1:11) but waiting until he actually went back to the hide to “pay the sniff.”

Nice head-snap at odor on the 3rd hide and you did a nice job of keeping him moving when he got distracted and still wasn’t on top of him.

Nice!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Briefly on the second video;

Leash handling is an art! I’ve seen far worse. ๐Ÿ™‚

Your handling in general is good, tho’!

Unless you have any further comments on your first video lesson, you are welcome to post your second lesson video with the first element. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Cheryl Winblad
      Participant

Pleasant day 70’s with little or no breeze. Today we did a search with 2 vehicles 3 hides, birch and anise. The 1st hide in upper wheel well on silver truck , we started by walking directly to the 1st hide. He never noticed it. Went to 2nd hide Joey had to look out between the cars and take notice if there was anything going on in the environment. The hide was underneath the red cars lic. plate he seemed to want to alert without really sourcing it. I ask Joey find it and he alerted above lic. plate I decided to reward but use food to pull him down more to the source. 3rd hide rear tire of the red car he nailed that one, if only all searches went that well. Headed back to 1st hide, he seemed to really have to work on this one. The odor must have been pooling in the wheel well. I even had to do a double check to make sure it was where I thought it was. He persisted and found the hide.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Hi Cheryl – I’m confused? Which lesson is this?

Your lessons are listed here:
      https://joyridek9.education/courses/nw525-back-to-basics-k9nw/

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Cheryl Winblad
      Participant

Lesson 2

Interior Kitchen, 3 hides A, B and C. 1st hide Threshold, 2nd hide somewhat of an inaccessible hide in the oven drawer. 3rd hide,
      elevated corner hide. Sorry for the length but we got a bit stumped on last hide.

My goals in this where to test him on a threshold and a elevated corner which I realized we have not done many of.

How I thought this would work out and what happened are not even close. I thought Joey would go right passed the threshold hide and find the one in oven drawer. Then I thought he would find the high corner hide with just a bit of work and then last would be the threshold.

The 1st hide was easy then right to the 2nd. We had an epic struggle on the high corner hide. After watching the video I can see where should have rewarded Joey at 2:27. He stopped looked right up at it and even glanced at me. At 2:55 I tried quickly pairing it, don’t think it made a bit of difference.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Hi Cheryl – I know you’re trying to catch up. But let’s back up…. What you’re showing is something from Lesson 1, where you design a search with 3 challenges. I will break this down for what I see;

Your stated challenges were:
      * Testing a threshold
      * Elevated hide
      * Corner hide

What I saw in addition to this:
      * Small space
      * THREE hides
      * Very closely converging odors
      * On leash
      * Kitchen area with potential food distractions
      * Open counter area
      * Refrigerator (motor) running?
      * Companion dog barking

I can’t tell if it’s an open plan with the kitchen opening up into the rest of the house but that could be a challenge with airflow in combination with the nearby window, as well.

Your start was pretty good since Joey was ready to go when you began. The video had started but he zoomed right to the threshold hide. Good boy! ๐Ÿ™‚ You were slow with your reward, tho’, since you had to unwrap and break off a piece of the cheese.

Joey does a beautiful job of working the perimeter surfaces, right to the second hide and communicates very clearly when he’s found it. Yeah!

Now, the 3rd hide is over his head, just below the counter, in the corner. TOUGH hide by itself, let alone with the other challenges. We see the first signs that Joey knows it’s up at about a minute where he’s throwing his head up. AT 1:04 he hits the corner of the refrigerator and does a head turn back, continues working the base of the refrigerator then peels off at the end of the refrig. Dog barks, Joey gets momentarily distracted. (1:12) Joey goes UP on the opposite side of the kitchen. Clearly he’s catching odor UP.

Joey is trying desperately to locate the hide. You and he go ’round and ’round, stirring up the odor I think. Finally, he goes up at the cupboard and gives you a look at (2:18). You could have taken that. He’s up and in a bit of a niche where odor is likely falling. Most definitely I would have taken (2:26).

SO, what does this mean? Your challenges, tho’ seemingly “simple” really are not. This is a pretty advanced search and by the time Joey gets rewarded at almost a minute later, he’s been working to solve that last hide for over 2-1/2 minutes. That’s a long time. You had mentioned that you felt Joey was losing enthusiasm for the game. I think if you look at the challenges you’re giving him, or working thru, they’re really really hard. He needs some simple!

Oh – and remember, pairing is about self-reward at source. Can’t do that with an inaccessible hide, tho’ he did manage to knock the treat down. ๐Ÿ˜‰

LESSON 2 is all about simple. ONE hide at a time. An easy, sourceable threshold hide. Repeat the exercise in each element multiple times. You can choose which to begin. But ONLY one hide. FAST, easy, motivating. I think he needs this. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Cheryl Winblad
      Participant

We started with 3 Exterior threshold searches. Tried to keep them easy all low or medium height. Beautiful day, sunny and about 70 degrees with very little breeze.

1st search He was somewhat distracted and wanted to just go off crittering. I had to bring him back along fence and then Joey found it with some multi tasking.

2nd search- Hide was on the gate and with us starting on concrete Joey was all focused. Easy search.

3rd search-Hide is low on corner tucked in the rocks. I blew the start, I should never have started the search when he was still crittering. Joey went to within 2 inches of the hide and started eating grass, I walked him passed the hide and came back and he was able to find it. Guess good to include those videos where we do badly.

After watching the videos I think on search 1 and 3 I should have just brought Joey back to start and restarted the search. Rather than overly directing him.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

I would agree with you! Even tho’ Joey did end up finding the hides by working it from a different angle he didn’t get to work it from the threshold as intended. The whole concept of working odor from the beginning is lost.

You do a nice job of keeping him in the area but I would suggest maybe limiting how far he gets to range out and wait for him to notice the odor up close before passing it or before passing very far. Search #2 was nice! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Cheryl Winblad
      Participant

Interior Threshold hides Lesson 2.

Today we went really easy. Joey enjoys doing interiors of all kinds as the interior environment has no critters to distract him.

1-3 searches went beautiful, with easy finds, head snaps and quick alerts. Last search I decided to make a bit tougher and did a floor hide as I have noticed he continually goes up for most searches. This hide was placed between rug and doorway. He caught the odor before I even was ready to go. Did some upward hunting then came down and found it. It would have been nice to use smoke matches to see where the odor was drifting.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Joey did great work in these searches! I would be careful with the “decided to make a bit tougher” thinking! In this case you were right to add a ground hide since he’s going up a lot and it was only “hard” because of his predisposition to go up. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • The topic ‘NW525: Cheryl & Joey (Papillon, So California)’ is closed to new replies.