~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Tagged: ,

Viewing 58 reply threads
  • Author
      Kathryn Dobyns
      Participant

This is my first foray into an online coaching class! Hopefully, my iPad will work for the videos…
        Hunter is an 8 year old “Missouri Street Dog”. I adopted him when he was about 1.5 years old, with the goal of training him to succeed my older dog when she retired from therapy work. Hunter finally made it into our local hospital therapy program not quite 2 years ago, but we have had to work through a lot of reactivity along the way. He is now an accomplished performance dog – he has several titles in rally and has earned his MACH in AKC agility. I started him in K9Nosework after my older dog’s nosework career was cut short by cancer – I had been doing the homework exercises with him, but she got to go to class. In the past year Hunter has been to seminars with Jacy Kelley, Leah Ganglehoff and Amy Herot. He earned his NW1 on the first try last December and earned his NW2 on the second effort in May. I know he is ready for NW3, but
        I am not so sure I am! We are too far away from a CNWI to get into a regular travel class, which means most of our practice is alone or with one friend who is at the same level. I am looking forward to the coaching! I will also be attending PA Camp (without the dog) over Labor Day weekend.

Kimberly Buchanan
        Keymaster

Welcome, Kathryn & Hunter! Nice that you’ve had some wonderful instruction and get to go to camp! PA camp is a great time! I’m not teaching this year (I did GA Camp instead) but taught there several times. See you on Monday! ๐Ÿ™‚ ~ Kim

Kimberly Buchanan
          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
          Participant

Here’s hoping I got that video linked ok! Lesson 1a

Hunter comes in fast and eager, but after he has found all the hides he gets slower and less animated, although he keeps searching when I ask him to and just keeps going back to each hide repeatedly. He missed the long skinny box hide on the first circuit – I think there might have been some converging odor there for him to sort out, and he kind of cut that corner the first time around. I prepared the boxes and set up the problem about 2 hours before we ran it.

Looking forward to feedback.

Kimberly Buchanan
            Keymaster

You both did a terrific job in the first part of this exercise! ๐Ÿ™‚ Hunter is animated, seems very driven to find odor. Yep, missed a corner box in the beginning but you got back there, great observation. If this were a real search with 3 hides you’d both pass with flying colors! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Part of this exercise, tho’, was to see what happens when you STOP rewarding for the odor boxes he’s already found;

“If your dog keeps bouncing between odor boxes, stop paying (ok to give a โ€œgood dogโ€) and ask your dog to continue searching for 30-60 more seconds. What we are looking for is what happens when theyโ€™ve found all odors, theyโ€™ve been paid on all odors and they are still asked to continue hunting.

Does your dog:
              * Ping-pong between odor boxes
              * Get frustrated and start pounding on boxes
              * Try to leave the search area
              * Offer alert behaviors on boxes with nothing
              * Stop searching altogether
              * ?

I also want to see how you handle your dog in this scenario. End this search by allowing your dog to go back to an odor box and pay.”

So what I’d like to see is revisiting this part of the exercise and then keep him searching for 30-60 seconds (or so) longer until you see something else he gives you. What we’re exploring is what happens with the pressure we put on dogs in a trial situation because THEY know they’ve found everything but WE aren’t confident. It’s out of our comfort zone a bit but we need to see what the dog is inclined to do.

So back to PART A! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
              Participant

Yep, I realized after I posted this that I really did not do that no-pay part of the exercise… I tried it again this morning and still ended up with not a lot of time after the last paycheck (that 30 – 60 seconds is a LONG time). I’ll give it another go!

Kathryn Dobyns
                Participant

Ok, this is actually our third try at this exercise – same set-up with new odor boxes in the same places. It is really hard for me to not reward my dog for that long a period of time! This time around I managed almost a minute of not rewarding and Hunter kept going back to the odor boxes and alerting – giving me sits, which he usually does not do unless I am very late with the reward. The paw slap on the greenies box at 1:25 is clearly frustration. He really kept searching for me and I did not see anything that looked like an impending false alert.
                  Hopefully next lesson I will do better at following directions! (I just have no sense of time out there!)

Kimberly Buchanan
                  Keymaster

I know it can be challenging when you’re setting these things and running them on your own, no worries! ๐Ÿ™‚

What I really want to see is how the dogs respond to the pressure. Two things can happen: (a) YOU start to see what it is that your dog will do when you put that pressure on them in an “unknown number of hides” situation and (b) the dog can learn to “get over” the pressure they may feel and know that they are ok. We ARE going to do that to our dogs, no doubt, during trial. Having a better handle on it is to your advantage. Good job on this round! ๐Ÿ™‚

Ok, on to PART B! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
                    Participant

So this time Hunter really showed his “I’ve found everything, so why are we still here?” behavior!

Sorry about the sun glare – I did not realize how annoying that would be…

Distractors are tortilla chips in the flat brown box at the threshold, Kong Aussie stick in the small purple box on the near right corner and a cat food can in the suet box in the far right corner.

He comes in and notices the distractor at the threshold but moves right on to the first odor alert, then checks the second distractor but moves on to a soft alert on the silver odor box. He cuts the corner and misses the cat food on the first circuit and gives me a good alert on the third odor box. On the next circuit he checks the chips but moves on quickly until he gets stuck on the cat food at :39. He never tries to alert on the cat food and he did leave it on his own (yippee!) so I rewarded again at the next odor box. He drifted out of the search area a little coming back around to a nice alert on the silver odor box, which I rewarded. Then it is on to the cat food, which he left more quickly this time. After the no-paycheck on odor at 1:16 he starts looking at me as we go by each box (this one?, this one? this one?) At 1:40 he gives me a good alert on odor, leaves it when I don’t pay, then goes right back to it – “hey, THIS is odor, where’s my hotdog?”. When he gave me a good alert on the silver odor box, I was ready to reward and get out.

Hunter definitely shows interest in distractors, but he did not try to get me to pay him on distractors until all the odor had been found and rewarded.

Kimberly Buchanan
                      Keymaster

Beautiful! ๐Ÿ™‚

This is such a perfect example to show WHY it can be so important to pay at odor again, even if the dog has already been paid! Hunter is so honest with such an expectation of being paid in the beginning, even turning to face you because he knew the reward was coming. Then all of a sudden you don’t pay. The game has been changed. What to do? Of course, let’s try offering other behaviors! He was looking at you with the “What about this?” look, trying to see what will bring his reward again.

Really good decision to pay again when you did. Pretty clear how quickly dogs can shift their behavior when they think we’ve changed things on them again! ๐Ÿ™‚

Good job, Hunter!

Kimberly Buchanan
                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
                        Participant

I am going to try to do all of next week’s lessons this weekend (before I go off to CAMP!!). I will post one at a time, but need to go ahead and get the video done. I should be able to get my training partner to help me do a blind search, too.

Kimberly Buchanan
                          Keymaster

Great! Look forward to seeing them. Have fun at camp! I miss PA Camp! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
                            Participant

Here is Hunter’s blind search from this evening. He comes in and nails the first odor at :05, then starts checking the far half of the search area. At :14 there is mild interest on an oatmeal container but he keeps going. At :20 he convincingly falses on a distractor (cream cheese with coffee syrup). We continue around the perimeter and at :29 he returns to the first odor. We miss a couple boxes as we return to the perimeter. At :34 he briefly checks the other distractor (peanut butter) and keeps going. At:40 he again tries to alert on the cream cheese/coffee. At :47 he hits the second odor box, quickly brackets the adjacent boxes and then clearly alerts at :51.

I was not conscious of it at the time, but when he peeled off to the original odor at :29 he was almost on top of the second odor, and we ended up missing it on that pass. I felt like we had missed a few boxes somewhere and kept him in the search, which paid off on the final perimeter check. He clearly alerted on the coffee twice – it really looked like he thought that was odor. When I re-ran this search after we ran the other dogs and another container search, he did not alert on the coffee box, though he did show some interest like he would with most edible distractors. He has no interest in toys, so we can hope for tennis balls instead of food…

Kimberly Buchanan
                              Keymaster

He is so fast I had to watch this several times to see what was happening! ๐Ÿ˜‰

One thing I will mention, and you may or may not have heard this before, is to be careful about your movement (or lack of movement) when Hunter starts to show interest in a container. I saw that you did a nice job of NOT standing flat footed for the most part but when he got to the distractor and alerted you turned your shoulders towards him and started to reach for your reward. SUPER hard not to do, but it may have been part of the body language he was giving you, feeding off yours in turn.

Also, that particular container may have had some odor drifting over to it, hard to know, and so he may have caught some scent as well as the distractor.

You did a very nice job of movement and where you were in relation to Hunter in this search, including you moving to the outside of the boxes. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think you know this, but I would keep experimenting with LOTS of different food distractors and make sure he is rewarded at odor well. If you’re lucky there won’t be any distractors! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
                                Participant

Hunter does tend to get fooled by blowing odor, so it not have been the distractor scent that caused the false, but we certainly need to practice both of those scenarios!

Kimberly Buchanan
                                  Keymaster

It’s what has often gotten my very fast boy, as well. He’s quick to show he’s caught odor so I have to make sure I don’t react in a way that reinforces the indication on pooling odor. I’m starting to see a difference between a weak/strong alert tho’ they are VERY similar! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
                                    Participant

Here is Hunter’s tall container search. He finds the threshold hide quickly, then works his way to the computer box against the wall but he found the trash can really challenging.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                      Keymaster

Interesting search!

You can see how tall containers can be a challenge in general. Sometimes the dogs must get around to a certain part of the item in order to detect odor yet it may be emanating and dropping on something else. This is why I preach, “Thresholds and Corners and Edges, oh my!” ๐Ÿ™‚ Sometimes it’s a matter of checking each object thoroughly in order to work BACK to another. AND, sometimes when objects are the focus, people forget to check the perimeter.

Hunter starts giving you the “look” of “why are we still here?” after a few times around and having found 2 hides. Much more so at (1:14) when he digs his nose into the big box and then often after checking the other containers. BUT, he’s willing to move on from them.

It wasn’t until Hunter explored the back left corner of the room and that side of the stack of drawers that he worked back to the hide spot on the trash bin (I’m assuming) and he determined where it was. Interesting because OFTEN, hides around the rim will travel all around the bin. Also, consider that every time he went near the trash bin he went the same direction (3x) and never went behind it.

This is where the handler needs to be sure they’ve actually covered the search area. I’m certain had Hunter worked that back corner he’d have found the trash bin hide much earlier. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
                                        Participant

This is the flat container search run in the afternoon on the same day we did the tall containers a few hours before. The pink bag in the back is in the same location as the trash can was in the previous search. Interesting that he passes that bag several times, but when he finally finds it, he comes at it from the same direction as when he found the trash can hide. He actually had his nose on that bag on his first circuit round the search area but did not hit on it until the third (or maybe it was the fourth) pass. I have been running these searches on-leash, because I need the leash-handling practice, but I am thinking when I get back from camp I might try a couple of these off leash to see how he covers the area independently.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                          Keymaster

One thing I noticed in this video and the last is that you chose to go around the room the same direction each time. You went counter-clockwise around the space multiple times but never clockwise. It could be because you are following Hunter and he tends to work that way.

Leash or no leash? Here is the question? Some dogs cover a search area really well w/o any “help” from the handler. They go into corners, check the edges, etc., on their own. Others need a little “pressure” (leash or body) to check certain areas. Since Hunter did not naturally investigate that back left corner, my thought would be for you to reverse the direction of searching and use a little body pressure to be certain he goes deep. We saw in this search and the last that he missed hides at the same location. He also skipped the left back corner bag until later and incidentally didn’t really check the left threshold bag either.

So you can make sure to PUT hides in those locations and either let him discover them for success on his own or use the leash to help him to work in an opposite direction.

I know you did these searches already, back to back, but something to consider when you practice or the next time you do a search. Are you reversing your direction?

HAVE FUN AT CAMP!! I’m having camp envy! I miss teaching in PA! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
                                            Participant

My last post before Camp (Hunter is at the kennel, and I will be on the road soon).

This is the mixed height search run on Sunday morning. The problem has been cooking for about 2.5 hours. Once again Hunter chooses to go counterclockwise… He gets the 2 low hides pretty quickly, but has to work harder to catch the high hides. On a couple of occasions I see myself trying to change his direction of travel with mixed success. When I finally get him to approach the trash can from a different direction he starts to work that area instead of blowing through!

Ok, now off to PA!

Kimberly Buchanan
                                              Keymaster

Good lesson on the trash bin! ๐Ÿ™‚

I think it’s interesting that Hunter gets the two flat bags first! Those can be so challenging. I also note that he never goes into that corner with the bike on his round, either! Do you think it’s because you know there is no odor there directly or does he just not like that corner? Even without odor source present, I would encourage you to be certain Hunter checks all corner areas along with edges and the threshold. These are all places where odor can be present, whether source or collecting, that the dog needs to work out.

Was also nice to see him enthusiastically hunting with random payments on odor he’d already found. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
                                                Participant

So I did not notice at the time that he kept skipping that corner, but this is definitely something we can work on. One tidbit I picked up yesterday at camp was that shorter dogs – and those that search with their head held down more (Border Collies)- will often pick up flat/low container hides more quickly than dogs that have a natural higher head carriage. We also have probably worked flat containers a lot more than taller ones, so he is very familiar with the flat ones.

It will probably be next weekend when I get to set up the vehicle searches.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                  Keymaster

No worries – make sure you get a chance to check out the other Gold threads and feel free to chime in on the Classroom forum. Welcome back! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
                                                    Participant

Actually, I am still in PA! Finally had a chance to use the wifi (they keep the logistics folks busy!). Heading home tomorrow and will start getting caught up!

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                      Keymaster

Ah… Yes, I recall having to go up to the cafeteria building in order to get WiFi access and connect to the “real” world. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Safe travels!

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
                                                        Participant

Here is Hunter’s first vehicle search. My dad is a first-time videographer, so I told him to just concentrate on the inside of the triangle. We ran this after a torrential downpour, so the pavement is still damp and there is a puddle at the dip in the driveway. That does not seem to have affected Hunter much. He found the hide on the silver truck first and returned to that one before hitting the blue car. Looks like it helped him to come back along the green SUV a little more slowly to catch that last odor. I am experimenting here with a new 8 foot leash (my other one is 12 feet). (Amy had me working with a 4 foot leash at her seminar this summer!)

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                          Keymaster

Hunter did a very nice job with this search! Interesting that he went UP on the 3rd vehicle! I wonder if there was some odor drifting upwards from the two other hides? He finally caught it in front of the rear wheel and followed that channel to source.

I liked that you followed him to support but did your best to stay out of his way. Especially nice at the start of the search, around (:18, :33 & :54).

Good! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
                                                            Participant

Yes, it is hard to tell the topography here, but the driveway is on a slight slope – the fronts of the blue car and the silver truck are a little higher than the SUV, so that elevated odor probably was coming from one or both of the first 2 hides.

Kathryn Dobyns
                                                              Participant

Here is our next vehicle search. I did them all the same day, letting each new set-up cook for about an hour. He needed a little prompting to stay on the vehicles – I don’t think he was working when sniffing the grass…

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                Keymaster

Interesting search;

He goes to the location of two of the hides but sticks neither of them in the beginning. You stay in the middle, Hunter skims the grey SUV upwards near the hide then dashes across to the hide on the adjacent truck (:24) as it much be calling to him stronger. When he is rewarded, he is chewing as he passes by the hide on the SUV again. Then, as he rounds the back corner of the grey car he is once again drawn to his first hide and doesn’t finish checking the vehicle until you bring him back to get the last hide. So he passes that hide 4x without noticing it. That is something for you to note, he may go by an area and not truly investigate right away.

How do you feel you would have done this search if you didn’t know where the hides were?

I’m not sure if he’s chasing odor or just drawn to the grass. Sometimes it’s a little of both. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                  Participant

I am not sure how I would have handled this if it was blind. He really needed a lot of direction to stick with the vehicles and even went into “obedience mode” after the first find. Would I have brought him back to the front of the SUV? I hope so…

Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                    Participant

Here is the last vehicle search. This was also done the same day, and there is the added distraction of a couple of teenage girls and their horse enjoying my parent’s front yard…

So here he came in and found the first hide on the truck pretty quickly. He worked the SUV hide a while but left it and when we came around the truck, he needed a little invitation to return to the truck where he picked up the second hide. After he worked the first hide again, he moved up to the front of the SUV and went back and forth along the front bumper until he finally cane around to the wheel.

Hunter is usually a lot more “on” with vehicles, but he definitely had some issues with all of these scenarios. More to work on…

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                      Keymaster

You do a good job of trying to pay the line out, backing up to give Hunter room, etc. But you can see how easy it is for a dog to skip a hide like the front passenger tire in a tight space with another odor draw AND all the distractions!

We see a little bit of use of body pressure (1:36) to keep Hunter on the left vehicle to help him work that hide. We lose him in the camera so I’m not sure what happened at the front of the vehicle (you say he worked the front bumper) but when we see him again at (1:55) he is actively working that hide and solves the problem.

It does seem like he may also be chasing some odor down the slope to the side of the driveway, maybe?

Do you think it was the search and the challenges or the distractions that caused him the most trouble? He resolved the 3 hides in a little over 2 minutes but it is something you would want to practice some more so he takes it more in stride and you know what can help him. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                        Participant

I think the key for me will be to pay attention to where he had worked thoroughly – he will stop working and blow right by an odor if the environmental distractions are too much for him! Vehicles are the element where I find myself directing the search a bit more.

Here is our ground hide search. I think ground hides are the most natural for him and he really nails this one. I did pair these hides, though I think he would have done just about the same without pairing. He comes in and catches odor immediately – he has to sort a little between the rocks and the sidewalk, chooses the rocks and finds that hide at :17, then we go on to have a little leash-handling snafu where he gets trapped on the pillar of the porch. Once untangled, he goes back to work and finds the hide near the lilac bush at :43, he then goes on to refind the rock hide but moves on when I ask him to. He has a beautiful change of behavior at :59 and nails the sidewalk hide. When we leave the sidewalk hide I leaned a little bit to my left at 1:06 which he responded to and then caught the last odor almost simultaneously, alerting at 1:09. I need to keep track of the leash a little better, but Hunter was just about perfection on this one!

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                          Keymaster

And we get a cricket serenade, too! ๐Ÿ™‚

Excellent – NICE head snap at the sidewalk. I just CO’ed a trial in Portland where I placed one hide in a sidewalk crack. It was fascinating, watching the dogs sort that one out between benches where odor was blowing. Lots of places for scent to travel. I can’t tell if you’ve got your hide on the sidewalk or in a crack but I’d encourage you to actually use the cracks to see how the odor moves and give him that experience.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3273
                                                                            Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                            Participant

Yes, the sidewalk hide is at a crack, although I did not shove it way down in the crack. I think the odor was traveling out to the grass where he entered, but he chose to go for the rocks first.

Here is the mid-height search. The nose in the grass at :05 is sniffing pee – much different from when he is in odor. At about :12 he catches the odor on the wall. This one is in a shrink tube open at both ends and oriented horizontally – he clearly brackets the odor coming out and up along the siding and shutters for about 10 seconds then finds the source at :26. He picks up the bench hide at about :37 and sources it at :44. He gets distracted by a man walking his dog down the street behind us at :55 but recovers after about 10 seconds and starts working the signpost at 1:05. This again is a shrink tube open at both ends and this one is oriented vertically so odor is traveling up and down the metal post – takes him another 10 seconds to source it at 1:15. He then does a nice refind on the wall hide at 1:30. These hides (except for the refind at the wall) were all paired – I think the one where that is most obvious is the bench hide where he is still working on the primary reward when I get in with the secondary. Overall, I am pleased with this search – especially his willingness to leave the dog pee so quickly!

• #3276
                                                                              Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                              Keymaster

Good observations with what is searching for odor vs the distractions. He’s usually so “on task” it’s clear when it’s pee and when there is something outside of camera range to deter him slightly. Really nice that he continued working with only slight interruptions. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3277
                                                                                Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                                Participant

We do not practice high hides very often, but I think Hunter learned a lot with this search. I cut off the very start of the search where he was ranging out of the camera view to chase the odor from the shutter hide – that one was clearly blowing all over the front of the building. He finally made a good try at a decision at :52, which I rewarded. He then started to work the tree and I missed the first reward opportunity at 1:22 – he decides to keep working it and I was able to reward him reasonably close at 1:48. He then goes for the wall hide and this one he did a nice job getting it narrowed down – I rewarded him at 2:46 when he went up right under the hide. On the way out of the search area he went for the tree hide again and alerted nicely on that again at 3:05.

• #3278
                                                                                  Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                  Keymaster

I think with the tree hide, you were ok to not reward at (1:22) since he was not *sure* it was there. After he ranged out further (off camera) and came back, tho’ I’d have paid him anywhere in the (1:34+) range. If the dog can’t get his nose on source, the dog can only say “HEY, it’s up there!” and it truly doesn’t matter which side of the tree/pole/object they indicate if they’re in the general vicinity. The odor is moving and swirling and wrapping. The dogs tell us what the odor is doing. If Hunter wasn’t so good at odor, I might think differently but maybe not. He’s saying clearly, “It’s here.” It’s up to us to listen. ๐Ÿ™‚

I loved watching Hunter pinpoint that last hide! You can see how the odor is dropping and where he’s catching it! Great work! (I’ve included this specific hide location in the next lesson!)

Nice work! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3281
                                                                                    Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                                    Participant

Finally getting all caught up now! This is the mixed height search, which we did immediately after the previous high hide exercise. This time he really gets the high one, and he kept skipping over the parking lot hide. Watching the video, though, I see as we enter the search a little head dip at :06 as he passes over the ground hide – but the wall hides are clearly drawing him in – repeatedly! If I had been running this blind I don’t think I would have noticed the first little indication of something on the asphalt, but hopefully I would have realized we did not cover that area…

• #3299
                                                                                      Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                      Keymaster

This is a great example, showing how higher hides can often overrule the lower hides as the odor drifts out and over to a dog from a distance. This is why dogs miss threshold hides when there is a hide at the doorway and deep in the room. Dog blows by the threshold because the other hide is calling harder.

I see the head dip in the very beginning but with three elevated hides he was working others in the area. It looks like the wind direction may be coming towards the camera? It could be bounce-back from the wall with wind blowing to the building but I’m guessing there is air movement over the roof that is taking the odor out towards the camera. Which means Hunter would not have detected the ground hide until he headed BACK, well into the parking lot, where we see a beautiful head snap! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3309
                                                                                        Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                                        Participant

Hunter does do the lovely head snap when he suddenly catches odor! He is off to the kennel again this evening for a couple of days, but I should get to work some more high hides later in the week.

• #3310
                                                                                          Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                          Keymaster

I think the air currents thread in the classroom forum is a good one, if you get a chance to participate. One of the reasons I stress that dogs MUST be dedicated to finding odor is that when we know they’re good at it and really do want to find it, we can understand a lot better when they don’t. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3358
                                                                                            Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                                            Participant

Here’s our outside corner hide. There is a gentle breeze carrying the odor into the bushes and lawn and onto the front porch and to the front door. I expected more odor to travel along the garage door, but Hunter says not so much.

I waited a few minutes then re-ran this search and this time he worked it off the garage door, like I thought he would the first time!

• #3367
                                                                                              Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                              Keymaster

Fascinating to see the same search repeated! I have to wonder, was the wind as strong on the second round? Do you think the odor could have been blowing OVER his head in the first video? (That’s my guess.) It sounds on the video like it’s blowing pretty strongly so he may have been working odor but the closer he got it just swooshed over his head? It collected nicely in the door niche and on the bushes but that all makes it harder to source. The dog needs to go further out with the stronger wind. And we see Hunter moving off-screen to the right (:26+). He heads down wind and down slope, then we see him popping back into the frame working odor back to the garage door and again, odor went over his head and he lost it. After he sorted things out, your timing when to reward was perfect! Really nice. You could not have done anything other than what you did handling-wise. Much of this is his experience working a hide like this.

Hunter seemed to (a) have learning from the first time and/or (b) the wind had changed so it wasn’t quite as difficult the second time.

Cool!

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3370
                                                                                                Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                                                Participant

Here’s the inside corner search. This time I circled him out of the search area and right back in for a second try. The first time I rewarded him for going up near the shutter, but the second time I waited for a little more indication toward the corner.

After this one I lowered the hide about 6 inches and came back about 10 minutes later – I did not include that video, but on the third one he went straight for the hide and nicely indicated in the corner. I think he does learn a lot with the repetition. I am planning to set this up again at work to see if that learning will apply to a different location…

• #3407
                                                                                                  Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                  Keymaster

Good choice to reward when you did, the first time and the second time. Really good for people to see that there are benefits for rewarding EARLY, instead of always waiting for expected communication. Hunter was clearly saying “It’s up there” and he was closer on the second round. Let us know what happens when you try this at another location!

Oh – one note; I think you can reduce the amount of movement you are doing when Hunter is trying to solve a problem. Some people move from anxiousness, some because they think they’re supposed to. It doesn’t distract Hunter, but unless or until he looks at you, it’s not really necessary. I would pay the line out and reel it in instead and reserve your movement for when you want to apply body pressure or to be sure he is at odor and not fringing. Not a big deal, really! Just something I noticed that may/may not be useful. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3413
                                                                                                    Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                                                    Participant

Thank you Kim, for saying I don’t need to keep moving all the time! This is one of the problems with not having a CNWI to work with on a regular basis. Amy blew my mind this summer at her vehicle seminar saying I should be moving INTO my dog at times rather than always leaving him to work independently at the end of a long leash. I learned the foundation principles pretty well, but now it is time to start refining my handling technique, and that is why I am here. Thanks!

It has been raining here the last couple of days, so I skipped the wall hide and have moved on to set-ups where I could keep the camera out of the rain. Here is the pole – I really do not think there is much to say about this one. The hide had been cooking for about an hour in intermittent light rain/drizzle and Hunter shows exactly where the odor has moved.

• #3498
                                                                                                      Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                      Keymaster

Oh Kathryn, that was SO pretty!! Thank you for sharing this! ๐Ÿ˜€

As for when to move – yes, body pressure can HELP the dog sometimes, either by supporting them in what they’re doing or to move them closer into some place they need to be (think corner, niche, edge). It really is not black and white. Constant movement is not necessary and can be distracting for some dogs. Save that movement for when you want to use it, much like speaking to the dog. There is a time and a place. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3508
                                                                                                        Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                                                        Participant

Here is the column hide. This was filmed tha same drizzly day as he telephone pole. Here he catches odor early on the patio table, moves on and catches it again on the lilac bush. He moves up the rocks out of the camera frame for a few seconds, then back to the lilac bush. I think the half-sit/shake thing is just a little decision-making thing with him – he moves right on to the column for a nice alert.

Incidentally, this is one of Hunter’s frequent potty areas – I love it that he can work odor without watering the search zone!

I am hoping the monsoon rains will quiet down tomorrow, so I can catch up on the last few exercises for this lesson.

• #3522
                                                                                                          Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                          Keymaster

Hunter was on task the whole time, not even thinking about pottying! He worked the objects in the search area nicely (table, rocks, bushes, etc.).

The half-sit is interesting. We see dogs shake it out quite often to relieve pressure (we call it the “odor shake”) but I’ve not noticed this before. And of course, it was right after that he knew exactly where the hide was coming from! It was very high and he had to be far out to work it back.

Good job! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3546
                                                                                                            Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                                                            Participant

The rain let up enough today to get a few more searches in. I did the wall hide in 2 locations this afternoon, and I had planned to include both, but the first one is being slow about uploading to YouTube… So the first search was at a semi-abandoned shopping center with a very long brick wall and asphalt. The wind was blowing across the wall pretty strongly and it took Hunter a long time to narrow that hide down – he spent a lot of time out of the view of the camera, ranging very far from the hide.
                                                                                                              About an hour later we ran this wall hide at the park. It was only cooking for maybe 10 – 15 minutes and there was a slight breeze. He has a little crittering to do here, but he gets back on task pretty quickly. He worked this one out nicely, and when I chose not to accept his first alert several feet away from the hide, he went back to work and pinpointed it nicely. We definitely need to keep working this problem!

• #3590
                                                                                                              Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                              Keymaster

Great example of a dog’s behavior SO NOT THE SAME when he’s crittering vs. hunting for odor! ๐Ÿ™‚

Hunter works around the end of the building to the left and I bet if it weren’t for the extra critter work he was doing he would probably have worked around to the right side of the building, as well. He does check the objects, windows, all the little things on the wall and uses them to go to source.

Interesting that he took awhile to solve the problem the first time. It shows the learning he had since this was pretty darn swift. If he’d been a more novice dog or if he struggled with this at all I’d have suggested to you to pay when he initially told you at the window. But since he worked it that far in a short amount of time I don’t think there was any harm asking for a little more. ๐Ÿ™‚

Only time will tell sometimes, when we make decisions and start to see fallout. I don’t anticipate that happening in this case but it’s always wise to review your training program when issues arrive. I’ve found MOST of the time it has to do with the reward process. Often it’s the handler’s expectation of what the dog could/should do and the dog’s confusion when they don’t get paid when they think they should.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3596
                                                                                                                Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                                                                Participant

Ok, the site keeps kicking me off before I can get these submitted, so no descriptions – last searches for lesson 5.

• #3624
                                                                                                                  Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                  Keymaster

Wow, he looks so good! The sign was not an issue and the bonus wall looked pretty easy for him. That pavilion in the background looks like it would be Fun to search! Picking which column could be a good challenge for Hunter. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3643
                                                                                                                    Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                                                                    Participant

My awesome training partners set up 2 blind (with a little help?) searches for me on this miserable rainy weekend – thanks Susan and Mary!

This is a relatively traditional interior search. The hide we missed is in the corner of one of the vinyl couches (a corner in a corner). I called early on the fire extinguisher because I did not know where the boundaries were and panicked that I was missing something – Hunter was clearly not finished with the problem at that point!

• #3644
                                                                                                                      Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                                                                      Participant

Hunter looks good as always! ๐Ÿ™‚

Question: Was there a reason you decided to work this search on-leash? It seems he might have worked quite freely if given the chance?

Comment: When you had the “blurt alert” on the fire extinguisher, you turned your back on Hunter (it looked like) and weren’t observing what he was doing behind you. Was there a reason you didn’t continue to work that area after the blurt? I know you went back but it seems you were so close it might have been beneficial to not walk away at that time.

Your instinct was obviously good that you thought there was a hide you were missing! ๐Ÿ™‚

• #3646
                                                                                                                        Kathryn Dobyns
                                                                                                                        Participant

This is the fun one! This does not really fit in any of the traditional categories, and there are actually 6 hides out. There is a threshold hide in the green hose, which they forgot when telling me my search boundaries?. He found that one after the video was turned off. Again, we got a little help, but generally, I am really happy with how he covered all that space! Note to self, always revisit the start area, because Hunter does blow by hides…

• #3647
                                                                                                                          Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                          Keymaster

Oh gosh, that sure was a fun search! Very nice work by Hunter and by you, as well! Very smooth handling and a good sense of covering the search area – well, except for the threshold but you already know that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Great work! Hunter is a fun dog, always enthusiastic and engaging! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 58 reply threads
                                                                                                                        • The topic ‘NW301: Kathryn & Hunter (mixed, VA)’ is closed to new replies.