~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

NW301: Donna and Darcie (English Springer Spaniel, TX)

Tagged: ,

Viewing 59 reply threads
  • Author
      Donna Ewing
      Participant

Hi! Darcie is 7 1/2 years old. She competes at the Masters level in AKC agility with my husband and I have competed with her in Rally in three venues (she has her RAE in AKC) and we are currently also training in tracking. She has certified in tracking but we haven’t competed yet due to the heat here in Texas. Darcie has a great work ethic. We basically started the Nosework craze here in North Texas before most anyone else had heard about it around here. It took her three tries to get her NW1 (boy, were we ever green!), but passed her NW2 on her first try. We are working better as a team – she gets it – but “I” have tons to learn! The thought of not knowing how many hides there are really gives me pause. We are ready to work!

Kimberly Buchanan
        Keymaster

Welcome back Donna & Darcie! You probably know more than you think! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
          Participant

This is our first lesson – I’m excited to be back at it. There are 20 unopened boxes with three hides. I think it was fairly obvious which boxes contained odor. All hides were combo odors. It was in the mid 90s outside with humidity in the 60% range – in other words HOT! Very little wind, if any. Outside on the patio is the only place I have big enough for that large of a search area.

As you can see, Darcie is an excited searcher, moving very quickly from box to box. I don’t find that she ever really has a recognizable pattern, which makes containers a little extra hard for me to try and remember which containers she has searched. Darcie does seem to alert every time she passes an odor box until we get a little closer to the end of the video. Around the two minute mark I quit treating at odor and have her continue to search. At about the 2:45 mark it looks like she is getting ready to stop but really she is looking at the videographer (her Daddy). At that point I let her go back to an odor box to get paid. Darcie never really quit searching – she just keeps on until “I” stop her. It would be nice, though, if she gave some signal that she had searched them all and was finished!

Kimberly Buchanan
            Keymaster

Very nice! You do a nice job of staying out of Darcie’s way and then coming in to pay when she gets to a hide. (No need to say “alert” when you know where they are, unless you’re practicing so you don’t forget. ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Darcie has a nice “expectant” look and wagging tail when she gets to odor. Good job paying at source. She very thoroughly checked all the boxes and then momentarily tried to tell you at a non-odor box (1:32) but fortunately decided on the correct box. At this point she’d already found all the hides. She also suddenly “noticed” a different box (the little green/black box, 1:40) but didn’t stick it. It’s one of those “pauses” that can make the handler take the dog back and sell the dog.

Darcie started to check out something under the chair (2:20) then goes to odor. At this point she’s not getting paid anymore but she starts LOOKING at you (why aren’t you paying me?). Just past the (2:35) mark she looks almost frantic searching for something then at (2:45) as you note, she looks at “Dad” and then at something to the side. THAT is a dog who is done searching and doesn’t know what else to do. With her work ethic, she obliges to continue searching and you wisely get her to find another odor, get paid and be done.

Quick comment on handling: When you go in to reward, come UP on the leash FIRST so you’re not casting her off and trying to reign in the leash (which usually gets caught under the dog). Reel the leash in first (don’t let it drag, maybe less leash) and hold it closer to the harness when you reward. Release and pay out the line. This will be much cleaner for you. Good choice to NOT mess with it as she was searching, tho’.

Overall good work! Ok, on to Part B! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
              Participant

Could it be at 2:20 that Darcie went to smell that chair because the odor box was right in front of it – could some of the odor been wafting in that direction? In re-looking at the video a couple of times I did notice that she became more ‘frantic’ in her search when she quit getting paid for alerting me. Hmmm – something to think about and watch for. I’m not sure she would ever actually quit searching until we left the area.

Question: when you mentioned the leash handling – do you mean that I should gather up the leash in my hands as I’m walking towards Darcie to pay her (which I’m afraid would take me longer to pay her) or just reach out and grab the leash closer to the halter when I pay her and let the remainder of the leash fall behind me. My leash is between 9 and 10 foot long. The other folks that I occasionally train with use a 12 foot leash – but I find the really long leashes are cumbersome and hard to manipulate. For vehicles I now use a 6 foot leash (per Ron’s suggestion).

Kimberly Buchanan
                Keymaster

Re: (2:20) it’s possible – the point is that she leaves the boxes to check “something else.” This is a clue that the boxes are no longer productive.

Re: Leash handling – you could experiment with either method, reeling up as you go to pay or just coming up closer to the harness (without dropping the leash). One way might be easier than the other or maybe a combination of not reeling too tightly but at least gathering some leash so it doesn’t get caught under her. I’d say the leash length will be dependent upon your ability to finesse it. I like the blank end, tho’ personally I need a knot because my dogs would pull it out of my hands. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Regardless, I would recommend you do your best to not let it touch the ground, tho’.

Hope that helps! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
                  Participant

The odor boxes were the same as in Lesson 1.a – the blue box, one white ORT type box, and a brown cardboard box. The distractor boxes were the small multi colored box (seasoned potato chips), a white ORT type box (carrots), and a flat brown cardboard box (nylabone). The weather was 89 degrees with 46% humidity with very little wind (a front was just south of us). And yes, I still need a lot of work on my leash handling – I’ll be practicing that outside of class for sure.

First – Darcie found all three odor boxes before paying any attention really to the distractors, bypassing the delicious potato chips the first time. She bypassed the second odor box the first time(:15), went towards Dad, then headed back to the second odor box. She found the third odor box at :40. Her foot tap at :49 is an indication she occasionally uses – mostly if she has told me once and she is either telling me I’m not getting there fast enough with the treat or that she says come on, Mom – I’ve already told you! She hits the infamous potato chips at :56. But she still eventually moved on there. The square box at 1:18 is a clear box – I don’t know why she found it interesting at that point. I think eventually the potato chips just got the best of her. At 1:59 she finally false alerted (twice) on the carrot box. She had passed it up a few times before. She totally ignored the box with the nylabone in it. She eventually got the potato chip box open a little and treated herself – that is why I pulled her off of that box. I then let her go back to an odor box, paid, and stopped the search.

My takeaway from this is to not stay too long in a search area. This started out as a really good search I thought and then headed downhill. Giving you lots to teach me I’m thinking. ?

Kimberly Buchanan
                    Keymaster

Interesting to see the level of frustration go up. Keep in mind she got all 3 odors by (:37) and was in the search for over 3 minutes. That’s a lot of time to be checking and re-checking.

I’m sorry, but that’s hilarious that she pushed those potato chips all around the search area, trying to get into the box! CLEARLY not odor! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Darcie does start looking to you a little bit at different boxes, as if she’s saying, “What about this?” She doesn’t stay with them and her anticipation of being paid is different at the odor boxes, tho’ at one point she is hopeful with the potato chips. ๐Ÿ™‚

At around (2:39) she looks at you “Why are we still here?” and then cruises thru the boxes, doesn’t stay at odor, and goes back to potato chips. Good choice to get her off them and rewarded for odor.

PART C for you will be to do another container search with just boxes but have your husband do the hiding so it’s blind to you. Choose 1-3 hides and make sure he puts potato chips in at least one box. Obviously this will be harder since you have designated containers for odor so you’ll have to sacrifice some to whatever he chooses to place. For you, the task is to get her thru the search area, checking all the containers and to call FINISH once you think she’s found all the hides. Do not linger too long, since you can see what happens! ๐Ÿ˜‰

p.s. Make sure your husband knows to not touch odor until all the non-odor boxes are placed and/or be sure to wash hands really well before touching the non-odor containers!

Kimberly Buchanan
                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
                      Participant

I will post a video of the sources and distractors after I critique the video. This was totally blind to me – I didn’t know how many odors or distractors there were. Thanks to the hubby and videographer! It ended up that odor was in two brown cardboard boxes and the distractors (infamous potato chips and the second had a combination of carrots and cheese) were in two white ORT type boxes.

Interesting – Darcie made a quick search of almost all of the boxes before deciding to find the odor boxes it seemed. At about :05 she had a little interest in the carrot/cheese distractor box but then moved away from it. Her first alert was at about :19. She has developed a tap on containers to alert. Makes it a pretty definite alert. At :29 she shows interest in the potato chip distractor but again moves on away from that box. At :34 she started alerting on the second odor box. BAD MOM – I paid WAY too late. But Darcie was insistent. Videoing is so good to teach the handler. You forget about these details in the heat of battle! At :48 again she showed interest in the distractor box but didn’t stick it and moved away. Good to observe the difference in ‘interest’ and the real thing. I probably should have called Finish right then. Another mistake on my part. I was trying to remember if she had hit every box. I thought she had missed a couple of boxes in the middle. I realize now it gives her opportunities to get frustrated and false alert.

I’ll post the video of the location of the boxes next.

Donna Ewing
                        Participant

Combo odors in two brown cardboard boxes. Distractors (potato chips in one and carrots and cheese in the second one) in white ORT type boxes.

Kimberly Buchanan
                          Keymaster

Great observations! You guys are getting good at critiquing your own videos! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Darcie does show “interest” in the distractor boxes but it is very different at odor. One thing I will mention, I see it most at the second odor box, be careful of your body language. Fortunately it WAS odor but your anticipation of reward/no reward has you bent over slightly, starting to reach for your pocket. Luckily it WAS odor, but you could inadvertently cue her with that. Try not to stand so still, shift your weight a little bit maybe. I can “see” the wheels turning for you, tho’. ๐Ÿ™‚

I know with my dogs who can be super zippy in a search I get “lost” with what was odor, what wasn’t and whether we covered everything or not. Seems my mind draws a big blank! So working thru these frustrations with known hides and seeing what your dog does is really helpful.

Very nice! Let’s give everyone a chance to catch up and I’ll post the next lesson later today or tomorrow. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
                            Participant

The temperature was quite hot (in the 90s) so the odor really ‘cooked’ I think! The source on each of the three containers was 2 Qtips in a tube of varying odors. Very little if any wind. I found this lesson difficult because of trying to locate tall containers. Were these tall enough?

One hide was in a top pocket of the first blue suitcase. The second hide was on the purple standing folding chair. The third hide was under the extended handle of one of the rolling briefcases. I chose to do this search offlead so that the leash wouldn’t get tangled in the tall containers.

Darcie took a quick sniff of the blue suitcase and then moved on to check other items. She briefly checked out other items and hit on the rolling briefcase at about :07. I think the odor dropped onto the case itself from under the handle? At :25 she bypassed the purple folding chair and showed quite a bit of interest in the box next to it. Any suggestions as to why she did that? The odor was inside the label – so kind of ‘open air’ so maybe a breeze took it that way. She checked out a bunch of other items – she was pretty thorough! Finally at :42 she alerts on the purple chair. She bypassed the blue suitcase again (interesting) checking out other items before finally alerting on it at about 1:12.

My observation is Darcie really wanted to check every container out. I think she covered them all. I don’t know why she bypassed the containers with odor first but eventually went back to each of them. Any thoughts on that?

Kimberly Buchanan
                              Keymaster

First off, your container choices were perfect! ๐Ÿ™‚

Interesting that Darcie recognized the odor on the rolling briefcase on the case itself! Somehow that odor must have dropped onto the bag, as you say, tho’ I am surprised she was that definite w/o nosing up towards the handle. Is it possible there is an open hole or possibly the telescoping arm that the odor traveled down onto the bag? She had a nice head-snap as she started to pass by.

Great job on that tall skinny folding chair! My dogs would’ve knocked that over easily. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I liked the way she located that hide from the adjacent objects. I thought this was a great part of the search. Odor was moving between the objects and she worked scent from them to the hide.

As for the suitcase, she notices odor at (1:17) but is at the top of the bag so maybe doesn’t believe she’s found source. It seems there is odor drifting over to the wall so there is some breeze. You can see this from the leaves on the adjacent bush, too. She may have been moving a bit too fast the times she passed by it initially. Especially with two other odors deeper into the search area, it’s not uncommon for dogs to miss hides near the front.

I think your choice to do this search off-leash was a good one and it allowed her to move freely thru the space and she did well at covering the search area. I also think your instincts where to stand as she was searching worked really well.

Good job! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
                                Participant

Temp was a little cooler – lower 90s tonight. Wind was at 4 mph from the SE. I do think the wind swirls some because there are walls on three sides. There were three combo odors (one tip of each birch, anise, and clove). The odor is in the leather purse, the red sack, and the small black fabric container.

Darcie caught the odor on the leather purse immediately with a head snap at :04. The odor was in an outside zippered pocket that was left unzipped a tiny fraction – I figured odor would have a hard time passing through leather. She passes the red bag and I don’t know what caught her attention in the mulch at :21. She then bypasses the third odor at :31. I really think Darcie likes to search out most (if not all) the containers before committing sometimes. She finally turns back to the red sack at :40. The odor is deep in an outside pocket. Then she goes to a clear container and stays and stays there. I have no idea why but I’m not sure where that container came from. I have no idea what all has been in it. BUT – she didn’t alert on it so it was good to see how she reacted to it versus true odor! She finally leaves it at 1:23. At 1:31 she finally hits on the last odor. The tin is zipped in the fabric container.

Interesting observation. For boxes – Darcie paws at the odor boxes. For other containers she stops and looks at me. All in all I was pleased how Darcie searched these low containers – she does seem to search the outside seams a lot. Again I did this offlead due to the limited area and number of containers.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                  Keymaster

Good choice on odor placement for the leather bag since you’re right, odor can get trapped really easily.

I wonder if the mulch interest has anything to do with the nearby bag? She looks like she’s checking animal smell and I wonder if it drifted towards the building? Her body language looks a bit stiff. But YES! Completely different than when she’s at odor!

Darcie did a very nice job investigating the flat bags. She skimmed over some but she seems to have been pretty focused and I think if there had been odor with them she’d have found it.

There are two containers she didn’t investigate. Do you know which ones they were and why? (This will be on the final exam. LOL!) ๐Ÿ˜€

Kimberly Buchanan
                                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
                                    Participant

The bright blue bag at the top of the screen(above the leather purse) is one. The second one is iffy but I think it is the light blue flat paper bag kind of below the leather purse. Even though she did pass over the latter one very briefly.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                      Keymaster

I see the bright blue bag and the box just below it on the screen. Did you see what happened and why she may have missed them? ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
                                        Participant

Yep – I see the box now. I was standing right in front of it blocking her from getting to it. I need to stay more behind Darcie (which is hard sometimes!). But I don’t know why she missed the bright blue bag other than she alerted on the leather purse early and I didn’t take her back around that area. If she had been on lead, I might have done a better job.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                          Keymaster

You did a great job, really! Just wanted to add a little Q&A to see if you recognized how your body pressure affected Darcie. It’s subtle but interesting! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
                                            Participant

Sorry for the videographer’s thumb in the video! It was sunny and warm – 84 degrees, 58% humidity, winds out of the SW at 7 mph. I chose to do this search on lead to make she she checked out every container. There are two high hides and two low hides. Each hide has a tube with two Qtips of varying odors. The search area ‘cooked’ for about an hour.

I really like how she is starting to search the seams of fabric containers (and leather, too). At :17 she catches the odor under the seat of the step stool. She catches the source of the second high hide next on the blue upright suitcase (under the handle) at about :36. Interesting to see her reaction to this suitcase since it moves as she touches it. Her alert is WAY different – a hesitant alert. I wanted to see if she would give me her ‘confident’ alert so I let her keep sniffing it for a little while. I finally called it because I didn’t want her to move on without a reward. Any ideas as how to handle this in a trial when it is blind to me???

Darcie then moves around and catches the third odor – in a leather computer bag. Interesting that she sniffs it, moves away from it at 1:04, then comes back to it. Wonder why? She alerts then at 1:16. At 1:37 she bypasses the fourth odor (bright blue bag). Once again she goes and sniffs the gate, grass, wall. Odor must be bouncing around in this area (also, we have tons of bunnies that hang out there!). At 1:58 she finally hits on the blue bag. The odor was in a zippered pocket. For the rest of the video I just wanted to make sure we hit on every container. ? so I tried to take her to each one, mostly paying when she past an odor container. While her search method is still helter skelter, I do like how she is searching and catching odor both high and low.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                              Keymaster

This was terrific! I love the Darcie started really investigating the flat bags. They are HARD! There isn’t a lot of odor emanating from them and even when the dog bumps or steps on them there isn’t a big “puff” of air coming out with odor so the dogs really need to sniff them in detail. I think that’s why she left the computer bag. She just wasn’t sure since there probably wasn’t a lot of odor. I’ve put LOTS and LOTS of odor inside some bags and the dogs still have trouble.

Normally we see Darcie searching without the sun shining so I’m thinking there could be a lot of air movement which is why she’s checking the perimeter. It doesn’t look so much like crittering as chasing odor IMO.

With the suitcase, she looks at you a few times (:39, :46, :49) but I’m not sure what you were expecting to see, maybe more animation? She worked it well. Even if it looks different than what you expected, she would not have gone back if odor had not been present so I think all you can do is see that she was persistent, even with it moving. That’s a really good thing. ๐Ÿ™‚

You also – as usual – do a good job of stepping back out of her way to give her access when you see her movement. (Which is why I pointed out the last search when it did affect her. ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

This was very nice. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
                                                Participant

This is actually Lesson 3b – I mislabeled the title. This lesson has 2 cars with odor kitty corner between the cars. We added an extra hide on the outside so there are two hides on the outside of the cars.

I started Darcie with the opportunity to go between the 2 cars but she went right and immediately finds one of the hides on the outside of the car at :11. She then goes around the car to the inside and alerts on the front wheel at :31. Interesting how she bypassed the 2nd odor at the kitty corner back wheel at :45 and goes back to the front wheel odor and spends a lot of time there. Any thoughts on that? Finally at 1:30 she finds the odor on the back wheel. I’m wondering if there was a slight breeze carring it under the first car where she found the first hide because she was almost trying to smell under the car opposite that first odor in addition to staying on odor on that front tire. She eventually searches the rest of the second car and alerts on that 4th odor.

Darcie was fabulous on vehicles when she first started trailing but then lost interest in them. But it looks like she is getting that interest back some.

Donna Ewing
                                                  Participant

Hey Kim – just wanted to make sure you had gotten a notice on this post.
                                                    ——————-

YES! The weekend was just crazy! I’ve now been able to give you feed back. ~ Kim ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                    Keymaster

Darcie looked great! I think sometimes dogs get stuck (along with handlers) when working convergent odors. Take a look at your body position and movement when Darcie starts to work the back wheel hide specifically at (1:09+). You look like you are trying to decide which way to go. By staying inside, between the vehicles you end up inadvertently blocking Darcie and it’s easier for her to just go back to a previous hide. You might have stepped OUT and away from the vehicles slightly and not paid the line out enough for her to get back to that first hide. Then when you encourage her on, you still stay between the cars. Step out and don’t get stuck in the middle. ๐Ÿ™‚

In general, it’s interesting to note that you’re very close to her, not giving her a lot of room on vehicles. Not what you’ve normally done on Containers recently. Did it feel close? Close is NOT bad on vehicles if you’re actively trying to get the dog to “hoover” the vehicle but in this case I think I’d have advised you step back a little bit, clear that passage between the vehicles and let Darcie “fan out” and discover the other hide by limiting her access to the previously found hide.

Nice to get a bonus hide, too! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
                                                      Participant

Yes – I used a 6′ line on my vehicle searches. At my last trial Ron said we all worked too far away from our dogs on our vehicle searches. He suggested using a 6′ line so I purchased one and have tried using that. I actually do prefer a longer line – especially because Darcie is fast off the start line – but I understand his reasoning. I’ll go back and try my longer line to see if I can stay out of Darcie’s way.

So is a good rule of thumb when vehicles are parallel (or even in a triangle or whatever configuration) to stay OUTSIDE the vehicles and let the dog work inside to keep from blocking odor? Hmmmm.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                        Keymaster

Not *always* – haha! BUT, there are times in vehicles that are somewhat unique where you are in tight spaces where NOT being in the middle is helpful. Other times, keeping the leash short is helpul. Dog is chasing odor, gets distracted, wants to range too far, etc. You can use body pressure to keep the dog detailing ON the vehicle but having a shorter leash can also help. It really does depend on what your dog is doing and what the vehicle configuration is. If you watch the video of the parallel cars with Tina & Skye, she does a really beautiful job of paying out the line and not getting stuck with the dog. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
                                                          Participant

All three vehicle videos were filmed on the same day, so again I’m using my 6′ lead. I started Darcie with the opportunity to immediately go through the opening to the middle of the vehicles but she chooses to search the outside of one of the vehicles first. She then comes into the interior triangle and passes the odor on the first vehicle. Then she comes back at :20 and alerts. She then moves to the second vehicle and again goes a little to the outside of it to search it a little. My guess is she is just wanting to make sure there is no odor on the other side. On this second car she again passes by the odor a couple of times before alerting at :50. She doesn’t check out the other side of the third vehicle for odor here. She alerts on the third vehicle at 1:13 after sniffing up and down the inside of it for a little while. I wanted to give her an opportunity to go around this last vehicle if she chose to, but she didn’t. But she did try and go underneath that running board (I think the odor must have been a little deeper underneath that running board) so I decided to call Finish at that point.

I’m just excited that she is actively searching vehicles again!

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                            Keymaster

Stellar work! I think your leash length worked great here, your distance from her was appropriate, you followed her lead and didn’t block her. I particularly like the dosey-doe you did around the (:30) mark so she could check the outside of that vehicle. Also letting her continue to investigate and it did look like that last hide was moving deeper. She did a super job! Very nice! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
                                                              Participant

I definitely should have used a longer lead on this one. Lots of space to maneuver around in. The cars are all sort of the same color so I really had to pay attention watching the video to make she she found all of the hides.

Darcie hits on the first odor very quickly at about :08 on the back passenger tire on the dark blue vehicle. She then decides to go around the vehicle beside it – around to the back and then doubling back to the front (after a very brief sniff on the curb/grass beside it). She doubled back in a hurry, too, and I had to run to keep up with her (where the longer lead would have been helpful). She hit on the odor on the second vehicle on the front driver wheel (opposite the first hide) at about :56. If you go back to the beginning of the video I think she actually hit on this one before she did her first alert – she went almost straight to that wheel and then turned back to the right to the odor on the dark blue vehicle. Interesting. Anyway, she then heads over to the third vehicle, sniffs awhile on the opposite side from where the odor is located, moves around that vehicle and then alerts at about 1:26. I do like how she makes an effort to search the other sides of the vehicles. She missed a couple of fronts and the opposite side of the second vehicle which in a trial environment I probably would have taken her around to.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                Keymaster

Good! Yes, I see what you mean about a little more leash. It’s especially noticeable when she dashes off around the car. ๐Ÿ™‚

Darcie seems to get a little stuck on the side of one vehicle where there is no odor but “unsticks” herself and takes herself to the other side. Also pretty cool to see her work one hide to the next (first hide) at the very beginning. She doesn’t know what hit her. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
                                                                  Participant

You know how some dogs (and handlers) can just have a bad day? Well that was us today. I filmed 4b and 4c today. I think I made it extra hard by the location I chose. Maybe the brick/grout is tough, too? I thought the sidewalk would cause a wind tunnel but instead I think it caused a swirling wind. Hopefully when I film 4a and 4d we will do better.

I almost don’t know how to critique these two. Darcie had some trouble – going past the hides several times. They were placed at about 2-3 feet high and the odor was anise (2 Qtips in the three tubes and 3 Qtips in the one tin). The temp is probably in the upper 80s. Darcie passes almost all the hides to go almost to the end of the scent cone (appears to be modus operandi for her). Darcie alerts on the first hide at about 1:03 on the wall in the grout. She pretty quickly finds the second hide at 1:20. This second hide was a tin and she really wanted to stay at this hide. She finds the third hide at 2:20. She went past this hide and tried to go around the corner of the building so the wind must have been a little crazy right then. She finds the last hide at 2:50.

She did better on this height than she did at the higher height which you will see on the next video, but I was surprised how many times she passed up odor before finding and alerting on it.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                    Keymaster

I think it was a challenging search with what sounds like some strong wind but I also think that’s how you and the dog learn. See what happens when you set up searches in a particular way with a particular environmental challenge happening. You can see Darcie getting a little distracted around the (:48) mark so maybe some of the “problem” you’re seeing is distraction in addition to the wind/odor movement. However, I will say it doesn’t LOOK like it was that challenging for her but maybe she just needs more experience. The good news is that she DID respond to odor and found the first two hides fairly close together at a decent time.

She looks to be chasing odor a little bit, then gets caught up in what looks like a location someone peed on the post at around (2:03). Then she continues to work the swirling odor back to source and finishes up finding 4 hides under 3 minutes. That’s pretty darn good! ๐Ÿ™‚

What were you expecting to see?

Let’s see the next video….

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
                                                                      Participant

This was filmed immediately following the previous video. The odor was 2 clove Qtips in the three tubes and 3 clove Qtips in the one tin. The hides are about 4′ high- reachable but only if she stands fully up. This was done in a different sidewalk/building. The tube hides are again in the mortar of the brick and the tin hide is on the outside of a tock pillar.

Darcie zig zags a little in the beginning and then once again heads to the opposite end of the search area. I think that early on she catches that the odor is high. She catches the first odor at about 1:12 after spending some time searching low at the end of the search area. She pretty quickly finds the tin on the pillar at 1:33. Then the fun begins! ? she hangs around the third hide a long time (just to the left of the door) but never finds the source. Then she heads towards the fourth hide (which should have been a threshold almost). We do a lengthy dance here with me really trying not to block the odor. It’s like she knows odor is there but just can’t pin it down (it is just right of the door). I decide to start walking off a couple of times and I think that helps her decide she wanted to stay there and find it. She finally alerts at 3:35. She comes back to the third hide at the door and starts hanging around there searching a little while. She then leaves the area and then comes right back and alerts at 4:26. Sorry for the length of this video.

These high hides definitely need some work. Could have been the heat, environment, distractions – I don’t know but these were extra hard for her. Sometimes I think I’m too critical of our searches – maybe a little bit of a perfectionist. ?. Darcie never stopped working and I give her a lot of credit for that.

I have the ground hides filmed but haven’t done the mix one yet. We are leaving Friday for vacation and probably won’t be able to get that one filmed until the end of next week. So I would like to at least get the ground hide video posted before I leave. I will have access to the Internet and your review, though.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                        Keymaster

Interesting that Darcie starts out zig-zagging down the long corridor. Her search style does seem that she needs to get to the end and work her way back. A lot of dogs do that. Once again, she gets her first two hides pretty easily. Then works her way down to the side of the other 2 hides and gets stuck at the door.

In that process, before and during, she looks at you a few times a bit confused I think? I wonder if, when working the 3rd hide, your position actually interferes with her ability to figure that out right away? You are stuck between the columns and the wall. If you had stepped back towards the curb more or down a bit further and opened up that area for her to move freely, she may have worked that odor off the columns. In the way you tried to support her, it ended up you staying in the middle and it was an interruption of air flow and the traveling of odor. I don’t know for sure, it’s just a guess because she seemed to have trouble with that one and I know in general it’s not a hide that should be hard for her. She knows it’s there but has difficulty pinpointing it for some reason. AFTER she found that one, I’d have reinforced the heck out of it with lots of payment! ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m curious, when Darcie showed interest at (1:51-2:15) in the area of the last hide she ended up sourcing, was there a reason you let her move on? Did you figure you would get back to it? She went up on the door, looked at you, etc. but you didn’t stick with that problem and chose to move onto the next?

I think given the challenges, Darcie worked this out pretty well. The tough one being the 3rd hide she found but for possibly known reasons. You might try to work a single hide in a situation like that again where you step back and out of the way to see if that helps her solve it easier. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Donna Ewing
                                                                          Participant

Kim – I moved on at the location of that third hide (1:51-2:15) by the door because Darcie never actually alerted me. She showed interest and I would have tried to catalog that area and hit it again before I called Finish in a trial environment. But she appeared ready to move on to me. Maybe I missed something in her movement or demeanor at that point but she never gave what I would have considered it one of her definitive alerts. I am trying to treat these hides as somewhat blind hides – which is sometimes hard for me because I tend to ‘lead’ her sometimes when I know where they are.

I’m still trying to stay out of her way – she is not an easy dog to follow as she doesn’t go in straight lines much ? so that will always be a work in progress!

I will post the ground hides tonight and will try and get that last high/low hide filmed before I leave on vacation. Fingers crossed.

• #3214
                                                                            Donna Ewing
                                                                            Participant

This is Lesson 4a – ground level hides. There are four hides – 3 tubes with a combo of 2 Qtips each and 1 tin with a combo of 3 Qtips. It was a bit cooler than when we have been working recently (finally!). I don’t remember if there was much wind – but probably not much.

Darcie worked the nearest hide in the grass pretty quickly and alerted at :24. The second hide was behind some rocks and she found that easily at about :40. The third hide was hidden in the cracks of some landscape rocks. There are lots of rabbits that hang around in that area underneath those shrubs and Darcie did a little ‘crittering’ there. She went a little past the hide to the walkway and came to the odor from the other side at 1:38. She then went back over the walkway out of bounds to the other side of the grassy area. I think she might have been picking up some odor from the fourth hide. Maybe. Maybe not. I went ahead and repaid at the third hide when she went back and alerted there. She found the fourth hide which was between the walkway and the grass in a crack there at about 2:50.

I think Darcie does a pretty good job with most ground level hides.

• #3224
                                                                              Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                              Keymaster

I thought it was interesting to see how much it took for her to pinpoint hide #1. Lots of spreading of that odor, it seems. It’s down slope, so that may have had something to do with it. She does look to be crittering in the bushes. I think I would have moved her on a tad sooner but she did get back to work and located that next hide.

Hard to know what’s happening around the stairs or on the other side. The boundaries of a search are set by us so the dogs obviously don’t initially know there isn’t a hide over there and of course they may need to go out of bounds to work back to a hide. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Unlikely it was from the 4th hide, more likely the 3rd IMO but not sure. I thought it was smart to repay her at the 3rd hide and she got the 4th quickly after that.

One comment/question is regarding the “Alert” you are calling after each hide. Since you know where they are there is no reason to say the word, unless you’re practicing saying it? For some dogs it can be a cue that they’ve found odor (like a marker word). IF you see Darcie start to get confused or frantic in a blind search when you call alert and it is NOT correct (= no payment), consider maybe limiting the use of the word. Just something I like to mention.

Have a great vacation! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3225
                                                                                Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                Keymaster

Regarding the high hide #3 that Darcie was working and didn’t finish the problem;

There is nothing wrong with leaving and coming back to a problem, but *I* saw her on the verge of solving it. If it didn’t feel that way I understand why you chose to move on. Might want to review the video to see if you see what I am talking about?

Regardless, I think I would practice that scenario a little bit to see if you can finesse it between the two of you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3234
                                                                                  Donna Ewing
                                                                                  Participant

I decided to go ahead and film this last exercise in lesson 4 while we were in the groove. You will still hear me say Alert each time as I had filmed it before I read your last comments. ?. The temperature was 79 degrees but the humidity was 80% so it was quite muggy. There was also a pretty good breeze as I think you can see that was swirling around a bit. One other detail to note – and maybe TMI – but I think Darcie needed to poop during this search so I’m thinking that was a little distraction. ?. The videographer agreed. ?

Darcie spends about two minutes just ground searching. I have no idea why. Any thoughts on that? The mowers had just left the area so that might have stirred things up but I’m just not sure. At 2:12 she catches the first hide underneath the seat on one of the benches (stuck on the bench – not on the ground). She finds the ground hide at 2:48. She then heads straight to the third hide on the tree about 4 feet up but she seems to have trouble sourcing it. She works the tree for a good long time really catching odor at 3:18 but she doesn’t alert. My videographer is clearing his throat and snapping his fingers trying to get me to pay her at this point but I’m expecting an alert that she normally gives me. If she was just jumping around the tree and the judge asked me ‘where?’, I wouldn’t have been able to say at that point. She finally gives me the alert that I’m used to getting from her at 4:04. Sorry about the shadows after that but Darcie is doing more ground searching at this point. The last hide is at the lamp post in the far distance about 5 1/2 feet up. Once she gets to the lamp post I think she immediately realizes that it is pretty high up and goes straight to source.

I do think I need to work more high hides with her. I think ground and nose height hides are not too much trouble for her, but she does seem to have some troubles with higher hides right now. When we get back from vacation I’ll work some easier high hides (I.e. – one hide without too many distractions and big payouts).

• #3255
                                                                                    Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                    Keymaster

In the beginning, Darcie looks like she’s tracking either you, your husband or another dog who frequented the area. She got caught in something that looked like critter smell (dog pee?) a couple of times and then started working.

At (2:25) it looks like she’s multi-tasking, following odor but also reading pee-mail. She gets stuck a bit (15+ seconds) but then finds odor.

Then she gets to the hide on the tree trunk. You could have paid her at any point, starting about (3:08). At that point she’s gone up the trunk 3x and is looking to you. Picture a very light fabric draping around that tree trunk as the wind blows and takes that fabric around to the other side. Darcie was picking up odor strongly on the other side and she’s not wrong. We get it in our heads an expectation of where the dogs should notice odor, indicate odor, get paid at odor. But the dogs will ultimately tell us where they’re detecting it the strongest. You say she didn’t “alert” but I saw body cues several times to say that she’s “treed” the hide and should be paid. (So hubby was right. ๐Ÿ™‚ )

As for the mower creating an issue, surely that can happen, tho’ the grass is so dry it’s probably not as much of a challenge as when it’s moist and damp. I’m still thinking she’s tracking someone or some thing.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3260
                                                                                      Donna Ewing
                                                                                      Participant

Here’s a question. If a hide is on a tree or post/column, etc and it is inaccessible (I.e. High), and my dog is sourcing around the object, in an NW3 would I be questioned to say specifically where source is?

• #3269
                                                                                        Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                        Keymaster

NO… In an inaccessible hide (elevated, deep, dog can’t get to it, etc.) the Judge is just looking for the dog to say, “Hey, there’s something in/up/over here!” The key is your dog brackets the hide, tries to find source and you know by watching your dog that they can’t get his nose closer to source.

The other thing to note is that you are supporting your dog as they’re learning. You can’t expect the same dedication to a hide if they don’t have the experience working that kind of hide. So you give them exposure, reward generously and the next time see if there was learning.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3282
                                                                                          Donna Ewing
                                                                                          Participant

Thanks Kim. That’s what I needed to know. Obviously I have zero NW3 experience. I just got wait listed #17 on my first NW3 trial. I am so bummed!

• #3283
                                                                                            Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                            Keymaster

Welcome to the club! I’ve been wait listed many times lately. Just need one more NW3 title for Zen’s Elite and then I can start entering him in the Elite trials. He’s ready and the Elite trials are more forgiving for mistakes since you can still have an oops and come away with points. Emmy will be going to her second Elite trial next month and unless the sun falls out of the sky we should get her ELT1 title (we already have 90+ pts towards the 150). I’ll pursue her ELT2 but she’s 11 so beyond that I’m not sure.

And so it goes on… ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3378
                                                                                              Donna Ewing
                                                                                              Participant

I filmed all three of these first hides at the same time. This is at an elementary school with ample opportunities! The temperature was 87, humidity 33%, winds out of the NE at only 3 mph. The wind was at our backs on this first hide so it was blowing the odor right into the corner. This really gave Darcie an advantage once she got to the inside corner. The hide was past the electrical outlet that you can see towards the bottom of the wall. The hide was about 6 feet off the ground. The odor must have been hitting the corner and dropping as Darcie seemed to immediately follow it and took a look up at about :07. She made a quick check past the corner then went back to where the odor was dropping then followed it up. I did want to give her an opportunity to locate just where it was located since she seemed to be really on odor. There’s really not much more I can analyze – she sourced this one pretty quickly. The next two took a little longer.

• #3410
                                                                                                Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                Keymaster

Woohoo! Very nice! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3427
                                                                                                  Donna Ewing
                                                                                                  Participant

This is part b of Lesson 5 – outside corner – filmed at the same time as part a. The breeze was slight – about 3 mph – blowing left to right in the frame (blowing the odor across the wall). The source was a combo of odors placed about 6 feet high – inaccessible to Darcie.

Darcie started off ground sniffing, but as usual going to the far end of the scent cone to the right first. She came to the wall and worked her way back towards the source. She took a brief look up at it at about :26. After going back to the end of the scent cone to the right, she then went around the other side of the corner – my guess it to check out if there is any scent there. At 1:06 and again at 1:16 she again took a brief look up at the odor and moved on. If you will look closely at the brick, you will see a vertical ‘edge’ of brick trim sticking out. I wonder if it was trapping the odor slightly as the breeze took it to that edge? Just a thought. Darcie did a lot of ground and tree sniffing before finally alerting at 1:56.

What did I expect? I expected the odor to travel to the right and for Darcie to head to the right to the end of the scent cone and work back. I also expected her to check out the wall and area on the other side of the corner. But I really didn’t expect a lot of the ground and tree sniffing (away from the wall). Maybe she expects more ground hides than high hides so checks out that area first?

• #3500
                                                                                                    Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                    Keymaster

This was such a cool search to watch! ๐Ÿ˜€

YES, she’s going to catch odor on the ground. It is definitely blowing down the wall and it seems it’s even working down the wall on what might be considered the “up wind” side and then out to the grass and sidewalks as well. She checks the grass line a bit. Note where she checks then turns BACK towards the wall. What is neat is how she checks the only elevated objects in the area, both trunks, checks UP then determines odor is BEHIND her. She is absolutely working the edge of the scent cone! I would bet the next time she sees a problem like this she will lock it down quicker and make a much faster decision.

You did a very good job of letting her work the problem, paying the line out as needed, reeling it in at other points. It’s one of those cases where the dog really needs to sort it out and since we had to do it on leash, you just stay out of the way. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3507
                                                                                                      Donna Ewing
                                                                                                      Participant

This is the wall hide – filmed the same day as the inside and outside corner hides. The wind was light at 3 mph but it was blowing behind the wall so I don’t think it had much effect on where the odor was going. At least I didn’t expect it to. The odor was again a combo of scents in a tin.

Darcie headed along the wall going past source, worked her way back and went around the corner checking out the ground. She then went out in the grass searching. I don’t know if this is odor falling or her natural instinct to check for low hides first or her just trying to figure out where the strongest odor might be. She then goes back to the end/corner of the wall and works her way back along the wall and then starts checking UP for odor. She then figures it out pretty quickly and alerts me to the spot. I thought she figured out this puzzle quickly and pretty much what I expected – heading to the ends of the scent cones and working her way back in. Good girl!

• #3523
                                                                                                        Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                        Keymaster

Good work! What’s interesting to see is how she works off the down spout and corner of the building, way out into the grass and back to the wall. Note when she gets to the down spout/window she veers off the wall, following scent. It’s interesting to see how far out into the grass she decides to go, and good for you to let her discover that edge on her own! I do think she was working odor. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3542
                                                                                                          Donna Ewing
                                                                                                          Participant

I’m going to post both the sign hide and pole hide at the same time. The main reason is I did the pole hide as a ‘recovery’ high hide for her to have a fairly easy one since we have done some fairly harder ones. I’ll post the pole hide immediately following this one. Again, this was a combo hide. The breeze was in our faces blowing the odor towards us in this search. Darcie does a little ground searching before and around the sign – the odor is on the back side of the sign. I will admit right off that I could have and probably should have paid her earlier. Handler error! There was traffic distractions but that didn’t seem to bother her. Also, I am trying to put the hides a little higher for her since I think she is learning that the odor might not be reachable. Again, I am learning that the odor can fall ‘tent like’ from a high hide or land on adjacent surfaces.

This was filmed immediately following the sign hide. The breeze was at our back on this search. Darcie immediately went towards the tree – smelling along the bottom of the trunk. This is in a park with lots of dogs and she was ‘pee smelling’ some. She went back out to the grass – maybe to clear the ‘pee smell’? But possibly to go back out to the edge of the scent cone and work back since the wind would have been blowing it that way. This was her quick high recovery hide. I have made the sources higher on this 5th lesson and I think she is beginning to do better.

• #3568
                                                                                                            Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                            Keymaster

Donna: Spacer for the remaining Lesson 5. My breed clubs agility trial is this weekend so I’m trying to sneak in as much of Lesson 6 as I can. Please comment on the above two videos, also, if you will thanks.
                                                                                                              —–

Perfect, thank you, Donna!

With the sign hide, I’m wondering what was it you were hoping to see from Darcie? A more definite decision? You did point out that you could have rewarded earlier and I think it’s good to know where you might have had some reward moment misses. It’s also easier watching the video after the fact. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Darcie did a good job trying to get to the hide and yes, she was ranging out trying to catch the edge of the scent cone which can drop down like a tent. (Interesting analogy, hadn’t heard that one before.) I think you could have rewarded her as early as (:38)-ish seconds on that one, as she ranges out, turns around and heads back to the sign w/her head UP. She also jumps UP at the post at one point (1:04), just on the wrong side of the post. (Is that where you felt you would have paid?) All that indication is good and correct! What’s nice, tho’, is that she doesn’t give up! She keeps trying and trying and eventually goes up on the correct post on the correct side.

On the second search, I do think she needed to “clear her palate” of the pee smell (maybe) but surely to refocus and find the edge of the scent cone. Cute little jump up to odor, too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3569
                                                                                                              Donna Ewing
                                                                                                              Participant

This is Lesson 6a – Containers. I didn’t really know what you meant about adding a ‘spacer’ so I just added a comment above to please review the two previous videos. Thank you.

I didn’t have time to age this one much – about 15 minutes. It ended up being combo odors, 2 hides, 1 distractor (Cheez-It’s – WOW!). Sorry for the shade but I wanted to do it some place different from the previous container hides.

She catches the first hide at about :16. I just want to say that since we can have distractors in containers I really want her definite Alert – which is tapping the box/container. If I don’t do that I really have a hard time distinguishing between a distractor container and an odor container if the distractor is something really delicious. She caught the distractor box at about :38 (upper left hand corner of the search area). She did not alert, though – I’m pretty darned proud of that since the distractor was Cheez-It’s!

She hits on the second odor box several times showing a little interest. She gave a ‘look’ brief alert at :58 and I could have probably called it then but ‘I’ just wasn’t 100% positive since it was brief and she moved on. She left the odor box again at 1:23. Very strange. I don’t know why she kept going back and never alerting. She finally gave me her definite alert at the end. I think she searched all of the containers except the tall trash can in the middle. Handler error! She might have caught a whiff of it the several times she passed it.

I hope to get maybe a couple more videos in before the deadline but with the agility trial I might not. Darn it.

Thanks.

• #3613
                                                                                                                Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                Keymaster

Wow, kudos to you for being able to read your dog! Watching her hit the second hide but not stay at the box on MULTIPLE occasions, I’d have assumed it was a distractor. But on the last time you moved away and she stayed, and then you knew. Great communication between dog & handler! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3614
                                                                                                                  Donna Ewing
                                                                                                                  Participant

We did this quick little vehicle search after a day of agility behind the agility barn. This patch of grass is a pee area which I consider an added distraction. ? The temp was 80 with a slight 3mph breeze in our face. This search of course was blind but it had two hides – both Clove. The ‘vehicles’ were a John Deere type mower/tractor and an attached trailer (took advantage of what I could on agility day – and I had also forgotten her harness so she searched on a flat buckle collar and leather lead).

Darcie sort of bypasses searching the tractor the first time, takes a quick check of the pee area and pole, then heads to the coupler for the trailer and alerts. She then makes her way around the trailer after sniffing on some grass. I honestly don’t know if it is pee sniffing or if odor is falling there. But she worked through the distraction nevertheless. The second odor was under the front left corner of the tractor. Darcie really wanted to go under the tractor but I had a hard time pinpointing exactly where odor was so I let her search it out. She was just a little off – it wasn’t exactly under the corner – just a little behind it. I would hope it would have been close enough for a Yes. Since she really hadn’t searched the side of the tractor at the beginning, I took her back around to search there before calling finish just in case. I had guessed 1:15 – 1:30 so I underestimated a bit.

• #3615
                                                                                                                    Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                    Keymaster

I thought Darcie did a good job on that search. As for not checking the vehicle initially, she wasn’t there for a NW event and she didn’t have her regular equipment so her mind may not have been in search mode. Without knowing precisely where the second hide was it’s hard to say but I’m pretty sure where she indicated would have been good. SHE, at least, is saying that she found odor. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #3645
                                                                                                                      Donna Ewing
                                                                                                                      Participant

This is the Lesson 6 Blind Exteriors. Again this was filmed after Darcie’s agility trial at the park next to the site, but at least this time I had brought her equipment! Even though we failed to find the fourth hide, I loved seeing her work in this video. Distractions were people milling around, people taking photos, and a fountain behind the gazebo. Temperature was 76 with a NNE wind at 6 mph pretty much in our face at the start. The hides were birch and combo tubes. All tubes had 2 (old) Qtips in them.

Darcie did her standard thing – checking out the whole area then getting down to business. We will never win placement ribbons! ? The search area is the first level of grass on both sides of the sidewalk down the middle, the shrubbery around the gazebo, and the gazebo. She showed a lot of interest in a crack in the floor of the gazebo so I took her back around there one more time but she never alerted – probably something dead under there. There was also some trash on the floor of the gazebo. Darcie hit on her first odor at 2:34 in the rock edging. I then took her back around to where we started to let her hit on the odors I think she categorized in her brain. She hit on the odor hidden in the flowers (and that’s pretty hard!) at 3:18. I took her back to the side of the gazebo that I thought we had not searched thoroughly and she started searching high! Good girl! She hits it at 3:48. I called finish but she had missed a threshold. I took her right to that threshold hide after we quit filming and she still didn’t alert on it so there must be a reason that the odor wasn’t getting through. It was under a rock! Old odor, too. We had a green dog there who wanted to do the search. This particular hide was birch so we let her. This dog couldn’t smell that odor when I put it on top of the rock! So who knows.

I don’t know if I will get an interior in before the end of the day but if not, I was happy with this blind exterior. This one was FUN! Not fast – but she worked it out. I had guessed 4 minutes so I wasn’t off much. I’ll try and get that last video in if I can. Thank you.

• #3660
                                                                                                                        Donna Ewing
                                                                                                                        Participant

What a beautiful location! Boy was that wind kicking up! I was so happy to see that not once did Darcie look like she was going to pee on all that wonderful green grass. ๐Ÿ™‚

When Darcie was checking the floor of the gazebo, and you knew she wasn’t working odor, you CAN move her on, rather than allow her to continue sniffing. How you do that depends on how sensitive she is to you but you can save time if you interrupt that behavior.

I’m laughing at your husband, after you call finish, he just says “Fail.” LOL! Brutal! ๐Ÿ™‚

• #3661
                                                                                                                          Donna Ewing
                                                                                                                          Participant

This is the last video of Lesson 6 – Blind Interiors. It’s very late after a long agility day so I did an interior in my home. We used the living room, entry, and dining room. This was blind to me. It was 4 Combo Qtips in tubes.

The living room ended up being a clear room. Darcie is familiar with these rooms so she makes quick search of this room and moves on to the entry. Darcie finds the first odor at :43 in the corner of the entry. Darcie then moves on to the dining room (one time trying to head into the kitchen but I held her as the kitchen was not included in the search area. At one point she goes high in the dining room but didn’t alert. I think all of the high hide lessons has helped to teach her that she needs to search high, too! One nice lesson learned! The dining room ended up being a clear room, also.

I believe Darcie has learned some really good lessons in this class, as have I. I want to thank you for the helpful tips in these last two online classes I have taken with you. Are there any takeaways that you think I should especially work on or the progress we have made or yet to make to be able to compete at the NW3 level?

Thanks again and have a great fall and holiday season.

• #3762
                                                                                                                            Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                            Keymaster

It’s been so much fun, seeing the progress you and Darcie have made! One observation, after watching my own dog and of many others; When there is either NO hides or NO MORE hides, dogs *sometimes* will start to look UP to a different plane to see if they can detect odor there. Without other body language cues saying that the dog is actually working an odor, it’s a clue that there may be nothing left to find.

The only comment I have for handling is to watch the leash going behind you. I haven’t seen it in the past couple of searches, so hard to point to, but there are times when Darcie is going behind you – which is ok, but rather than turning with her, you flip your leash around behind. It’s just not as smooth as all the other great handling you do. (Yeah, that’s nitpicking, which is why I never mentioned it! ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

I think just keep learning to read her. Setting up search problems with a goal of training for both of you, videotape and see how it looks vs how it felt at the time.

Good work! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 59 reply threads
                                                                                                                          • The topic ‘NW301: Donna and Darcie (English Springer Spaniel, TX)’ is closed to new replies.