~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

MW2016Mar: Gina and Kalli (Aussie mix, NY)

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Gina Baker
      Spectator

Here is our first video…

OOPS – it longer than 3 mins – this was a tough one for her and I am not sure why. There was a slight breeze coming from the other side of the fence (which is the other half of the warehouse). As you can see all highs – two hides. Anise on the first chair in the second row and birch on the last chair in last row closest to the side door.

Anise hide – 0:08 sec. but then she had trouble moving to the opposite side where the birch hide was. Kalli being Kalli when she is not sure – very persistence going back to the anise hide but I did not give in. She then was preoccupied with a smell on the chair – I moved hoping to pull her off but she actually left on her own and did not notice me till about 2:04 At about 2:30 thought she was going hit the last chair but she returned to the first hide. I moved farther down to get her to search the entire last row and finally at 3:53 she caught the odor off the light switch, worked it off the dog walk and wall back to source.

Thoughts on what I could have done different to move her on and how to set up some thing similar to practice?

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Hi Gina! Hi Kalli! Don’t forget to introduce yourselves for those who have not “met” you two before! 🙂

First, let me say that I always love your “celebration” with Kalli when she finds a hide, no matter how hard it is or how fast she gets it your reward process is nice to see. 🙂

In this search we need to consider Kalli’s dependence on you. There are a few things you can do;

Look how far she is willing to range out from you, even in a familiar environment. She is not willing to cover the rest of the search area. So you could consider this an invisible leash and she keeps hitting the end of the leash. She is unwilling/can’t go further. So you can walk further into the space, which you do and then she ranges out and eventually finds the second hide.

You could set up a search so that there are multiple hides at a distance from each other that she is willing to go. (So when you pay her for one hide you remain and she goes out that distance.) You could set up the hides DOWN wind so she catches scent and gets brave enough to venture towards further hides on her own. Or you can just move yourself to “help” her navigate thru a search area.

Sure, ideally we want the dog to range out as far as it takes to cover the search area and your trust in Kalli to do that was evident as you remained off to the side and gave her a lot of room to work. This is a good thing. Reality is that not all dogs will go far from their handler. As we’ve seen with Kalli, sometimes not even in a place they are used to searching.

So when you set up your searches, have these things in mind and be willing to adapt your strategy with what you are seeing in the moment. And keep up the celebration when Kalli has success. 😀

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Please remember to keep all comments about other people’s searches in the Classroom forum! The Gold threads are like private lessons. Thanks!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Gina Baker
      Spectator

Hi, I am Gina and my four legger sidekick is Kalli; she is a 9 1/2 yr old Aussie mix rescue and has been a real challenge. She looks just like a Border collie, although she does not have the intensive or the high energy of either breed, she needed a job, walks and toys were just not enough. And on top of that, she is reactive to people and dogs. While working on her being reactive, we tried several different things, and then hit upon Nose Work – it has been a really good fit for both of us. It also is the first dog sport I have ever done. Have had dogs in the past that were always just companions. Kalli and I have been doing Nose Work for just over 4 1/2 years earning our NW1 last June. Took us a couple times, but of course it was not Kalli – she did her job – it was Mom and her nerves as to never being in competition before. Never thought we would be able to come this far……but here we are and very excited to continue to learn and have fun.

Gina Baker
      Spectator

Thanks Kim for the comments – that fine line between letting her work it out and stepping in to help. I like that comparison to the invisible leash – that is a good way to put it! So, when she hits that point, I move.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Yes, just look for her “limit” and if she’s not ranging out any further, just take a step or two to support her. 🙂

Unless you would like to detail this search more you can post your second video! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Gina Baker
      Spectator

This is one anise hide that I was able to cook for 24 hrs and it is an inaccessible. The hide was about nose height in the middle of the backside of the ironing board. Small area with lots of clutter outside the room. I was surprise that she came out of the bathroom to work the odor.
      Should have reward at 0:45 but I was fumbling around with the camera. She was very forgiving and went back at 0:58. I had to trim the video due to dropping it in the sink as I was rewarding! Gotta love those tripods!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

What a good girl! You can see how much odor was coming out of the bathroom, landing on all the things outside. She did a great job of working the problem AND communicating to you AND going back to tell you! 🙂 Really interesting to see all the places she was catching odor.

For a lot of dogs when we work a lot of sourceable hides it can be very difficult for them to switch gears and work the inaccessible.

I thought it was so pretty when she did tell you at the end! She actually pointed to where the hide was located! 🙂

We want to work “just enough” inaccessible hides so the dog understands they’re still supposed to TRY to get to source but in lieu of that they should tell you that they’re as close as they can get! With the odor cooking for that long imagine how “big” that odor grew? 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Gina Baker
      Spectator

On the Road

Hope we are not too late.
      Our last video is “On the Road” –
      The first video we did was three groups of four boxes that made a triangle and Kalli did well but decided to use our second attempt. I was very excited about this search – group of boxes staggered down the sidewalk – thought it would be a really fun search! It was a flop and a-half!!
      Group of boxes staggered
      Three hides (2 anise and 1 birch)
      1 box
      3 boxes – anise
      3 boxes
      3 boxes – birch
      2 boxes
      1 box – anise
      :07 she looks at me because she knows I have cheese in my hand and she is hungry. Keeps looking at me till she alerts 0:20.
      Then the box from the third group flies into the air and lands at the second group!! It lands in a good spot and I am pretty sure it is the birch box! Kalli gets to the second group and trips over the boxes, goes to the third group and turns around and hits the flying box that has birch! Well, at least I think it does – had to open the box to make sure -Good girl! The she goes to the fourth group and alerts on both boxes. She then seems to working the odor trough the grass? At trial I would have called that fourth group – she pawed and looked at me but I knew it wasn’t there – but when she did find the anise in the last box, after watching the video I could see her speed up and then a definite paw.
      What type of difference could you see?
      It was a fun video but not the way I was thinking it would be!!

https://youtu.be/MdosLoGWBEg

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

As I watched the video I could hear wind blowing outside my window and then saw the box tumble from one grouping to the next! Very comical! 🙂

It looks like a creative solution and Kalli does her best to sort things out. We know the wind is blowing away from the camera but what’s interesting is that Kalli goes BACK to a pod of boxes to get the one that just blew over there! So who knows? Was it swirling? Whatever it was, she knew where it had been and put 2+2 together at (:41) and went back to find it.

I will say when you have containers close together it can be very difficult for the dog to sort out the odor vs. non-odor boxes. We usually like to give more space so when they’re that close I would have taken any of the boxes when she indicated she found odor. The odor will travel between them quite a bit. I wasn’t sure if the wind blew them into the groupings or if they started that way? We’ve been known to use rocks in boxes just for a little bit of weight. 🙂

I think Kalli got a little stuck in pooling odor with the cluster of 2 boxes near the end. I’m betting the odor from the last box was blowing all over those 2 boxes and she just needs a bit more exposure to the pooling odor issue. I’m not sure if she sped up a tad because it was odor or because she wanted to check the container. Good girl for working thru the problem. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The topic ‘MW2016Mar: Gina and Kalli (Aussie mix, NY)’ is closed to new replies.