~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

NW102/103: Liz Baldwin & Petra (Belgian Sheepdog, TX)

Home Forums ARCHIVES NW102/103: Beginning/Novice K9NW Coaching NW102/103: Gold Students (1/14/19 – CLOSED) NW102/103: Liz Baldwin & Petra (Belgian Sheepdog, TX)

Tagged: ,

Viewing 52 reply threads
  • Author
      Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Hi Liz and welcome back! Please share a bit about the news from you and Petra! I know you’ve been busy! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Liz Baldwin
        Participant

We’ve been doing the usual shows plus we did some Herding last week and hope to go to our first Barn Hunt trial in 2 weeks.  Entered in Westminster in NY in Feb but not sure if Petra will actually go as she was bred today!

As for nosework, we’ve been keeping it light…..multiple hides with elevation but relatively easy, gradually adding distractions and no more than 1 X a week…

Liz Baldwin
          Participant

Forgot to mention that I think Petra really used the “working on walls” exercise when she went down the whole line of stalls!

Sorry about the cat distraction but she seemed to get back on task rather quickly…..

Kimberly Buchanan
            Keymaster

She’s doing a nice job! She absolutely used the “edges” in a wonderful way in this search. Nice independent hunting and OMG what a good girl with the distractions!! 🙂

Ok, so let’s talk about target odor….

I’m going to put a post up in the Classroom forum to discuss in more detail. Do you have scented cotton swabs or oils? What products do you have available?

Kimberly Buchanan
              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Liz Baldwin
              Participant

I purchased absolutely everything prior to our 1st class you name it I have it I even have stuff that I don’t know what to do with!? Seriously I have a full size kit with 3 odors a travel kit scented Mini Q tips I have it all…

Kimberly Buchanan
                Keymaster

Ok, here’s what you’re going to do;

If you’re following along with the Parker Videos you’ll want to see the brief review of introducing odor at (27:28). It’s VERY brief, but just mentions going back to boxes. Following that there is also a glossary of terms which might be useful.

You’re going to put 3 cotton swab halves into one tin. Use tweezers, rubber gloves, whatever is convenient to protect the environment from getting contaminated when you handle odor. Wash your hands before touching any of the boxes.

We take a few steps back to our BASIC open boxes search where you will place one tin within one of the open boxes (Lesson 1). LABEL the box ODOR. This will help to reduce confusion and contamination. You will store that box AWAY from the non-odor boxes.

For our search you will have placed all your boxes in a room/location and the ODOR box somewhere in the middle. Place a piece of food ON TOP or NEXT TO the tin with odor. Let Petra DISCOVER the box. She may shy away from it because of the new scent. She may not. Regardless, with the food in the box she can now SELF-REWARD. This is very important! Praise her and take her out of the room so you can place the box in a different location and repeat this step 3-4 times. Let’s look at the video to review and see what tips I can give you.

NOTE: If Petra STAYS at the box with odor and there is no food left you’ll want to quickly drop food in the box while her head is inside, sniffing the odor. This is what we mean when we say “pay for sniffing odor every time the dog goes to source.” This can change later in the game but it’s important at this stage. IF Petra looks at you because she notices you placed food in the box or if she looks at you FOR YOU TO place food in the box IGNORE HER. WAIT for her to voluntarily go back to the box on her own and get her reward. You can then drop food or let her eat what’s there. With some dogs it’s tricky timing to pick up the box before they keep going back again and again. They get the game fast! 🙂

You’ll also read the info about handling odor in the Classroom forum – I will post shortly.

Kimberly Buchanan
                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Liz Baldwin
                  Participant

I’m assuming the 3  Swabs will be Birch correct?

Liz Baldwin
                    Participant

Your instructions were clear but while I watched the video I saw that I messed up by putting more food in the box AFTER she left it.!  Also, note to self….use a box big enough to drop food in while her head is still in it!!!!  Also, I only used a few boxes in a small area as I wanted her to focus on the odor vs make the hide “difficult”.  Will try again tomorrow and hopefully do a better job…Birch didn’t seem to bother her though.

Questions:

1.  When you are done with an exercise do you return your swabs to the little jar or throw out?

2.  If you are in a situation where you can’t wash your hands will hand sanitizer work or can you use tongs to move boxes?

3. I left my tin open – was I supposed to close it?  I have various sizes/shapes/materials – some have holes some do not.  Which is best to use for beginning work?

4.  Should I have used more boxes or a larger search area?

Kimberly Buchanan
                      Keymaster

Perfect for the first pass. What this tells us is that she’s not going to avoid the box with odor (some dogs do). She eats the food and will begin to make the association that the food is only in the boxes with odor.

YES, please add more food when she’s not looking, I should have mentioned that. Bottom line is you’re not putting food in the box when she’s looking because we want her still hunting for it and we don’t want her to think the food goes there because she asked for it.

Q1. When you are done with an exercise do you return your swabs to the little jar or throw out?
                        A –> You return the swabs to your jar to continue cooking and get refreshed

Q2. If you are in a situation where you can’t wash your hands will hand sanitizer work or can you use tongs to move boxes?
                        A –> You can touch the boxes to move them. TRY to not put non-odor boxes in places where you had odor. The odor will seep to the ground and the dog will notice it. Not as critical when pairing with food since the food is only with the SOURCE odor.

Q3. I left my tin open – was I supposed to close it? I have various sizes/shapes/materials – some have holes some do not. Which is best to use for beginning work?
                        A –> Tins should be CLOSED. They should have holes in the top for add’l odor to escape. We don’t want to risk dogs ingesting the swabs. FWIW dogs CAN detect odor in tins w/o holes but this makes it easier for the dogs at this stage.

Q4. Should I have used more boxes or a larger search area?
                        A –> I would now add more boxes. We are reinforcing that odor+food is what pays but we are still also reinforcing the hunting. So you can add more boxes to give her more places to investigate. KEEP it in boxes right now.

Overall a good first pass. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Liz Baldwin
                        Participant

Changed to a larger box so I could add food while her head was still in it.  Was concerned that she would just “go to the big box” so I tried to make it more challenging with an elevated hide.

Liz Baldwin
                          Participant

Second hide I tried to make challenging as well with boxes in front of the hide.  I wasn’t as stealth about dropping food in the box but she didn’t see me do it.  This requires some finesse!

Liz Baldwin
                            Participant

I see why having the box in the middle is important….It’s hard to add food without being seen unless you stand in front of the box from the start….I thought I would make it interesting by placing the hide between 2 chairs.  Unfortunately I forgot I left 2 boxes out so that’s why she strayed to the right in the beginning.  Thoughts?

Kimberly Buchanan
                              Keymaster

First off, let me congratulate you on your timing and ability to re-reward when Petra’s head is in the box! That can be really hard for most people! So good work!

As for “challenges” at this stage; I’m going to suggest not doing a lot of difficult challenges. The puzzles of “niches” and “corners” and SOME slight elevation are ok at home and Petra shows us she has no problem doing those. But the bigger challenges will be the environment, when you take this game outside your home or places she knows well. Be sure to scale back the difficulty until she’s working WELL in those places.

What we’re looking for is the same intensity of hunting with the hides that are paired as when it was just food. Dog is self-rewarding next to the odor and is building the association that the odor=food with simple exercises and searches to reinforce that. AND that you are not necessary for her to be rewarded at odor. EVENTUALLY that will change but for now we’re giving her a good foundation of hunting on her own, we’re just adding something WE want her to find. 🙂

So you can take the boxes to a new location and see how she does! I recommend interiors for now. Depending on your weather you could do some outside on concrete w/o grass or other distractions. You might have to choose a higher value reward with exterior searches.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                Joyride K9 Dog Training

Liz Baldwin
                                Participant

She goes almost immediately to the correct box.  After I’ve given her extra food, is it OK to let her search more or am I simply trying to reinforce the food with the odor – ie should I direct her away like I did??

https://youtu.be/lAIYN49fFK

Again, I determined when we were through…is that OK?  Also really glad the falling box didn’t seem to bother her at all

Liz Baldwin
                                  Participant

Tried to make it more interesting…..

This was harder but she worked through it….I was a bit premature on the praise though….

Kimberly Buchanan
                                    Keymaster

Nicely done!! I was a bit worried with the boxes against an open fence in search 2 and the xpen in the way for search 3 (I’d have opened up both sides for easier access) but she solved that problem easily.

Your timing and aim are PERFECT for the follow up rewards and it’s perfectly fine to decide when the game is done.

Very well done!

Ok – more locations!!! 😀

I know this may seem redundant but trust me, this is the BEST you can do at this stage. Easy searches – one box at first, more if you wish – various EASY puzzles to solve in new places. She’s getting lots of really great reinforcement for finding ODOR. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Liz Baldwin
                                      Participant

So we are going out of town this weekend for Barn Hunt.  Will it be too much to do an “easy” search (like 3 boxes) in a strange location or just wait??

Kimberly Buchanan
                                        Keymaster

Oh no, that’s PERFECT! If she does well you can add a few more boxes. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Liz Baldwin
                                          Participant

Fast and furious weekend.  Petra’s 1st Barn Hunt…1st leg…2nd place!!  Unfortunately I didn’t read her correctly so that’s all we got but better luck next time….She hunted well!http://petrabarn

Ran out of time so only 1 quick session but at a strange location with new dogs, smells, etc…..

Kimberly Buchanan
                                            Keymaster

She looks GREAT, Liz! I’m assuming you have odor with the food but you’d never know she was new to odor, she searched like a champ! (The value of pairing!)

I love that you use the same search area with minor differences, even having her approach the search from a different angle. 🙂 I also like that you’re able to add more food into the box while she’s eating. I always say “it’s a magic box!” LOL!

Petra works hard thru all of the new sights and smells and looks really focused. Good job to both of you. 😀

Kimberly Buchanan
                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Liz Baldwin
                                              Participant

Good news… so what’s next?? We will be out of state again this weekend for another dog show…

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                Keymaster

Your next lesson is posted. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Liz Baldwin
                                                  Participant

I have a spare room that I am remodeling so it was a great place to “throw junk”.  Hope I didn’t mess up but I decided that Petra seemed to work well without me adding extra food so I decided to quit that….I would like to change boxes to something smaller and less “obvious”,  I was using the larger box as it was easier to add rewards keeping her in the box longer.  Thoughts??

Umbrella didn’t phase her….

Slightly harder 2nd search with a plastic bag in the way….

Last hide was a tad harder to reach as she had to push through more “stuff”

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                    Keymaster

Great job! Nice to see Petra push thru all of the potentially “scary” things you put out!

Regarding re-paying for a hide. She’s made the association well enough and knows the game so you do not have to add more food once she’s found the hide. However, IF she goes back to a hide that no longer has food on it, it is CRITICAL that you go in and re-reward. You don’t want to diminish the value of that odor now that you’re beginning to build it.

You can also do searches outside of boxes, like we did with Primary. Take your (closed) tin or whatever you’re using for odor, place it somewhere and put a piece of food on top of it. That’s the hide. Again, if she goes back to it or if she re-sniffs it you will want to re-pay her. She’s at a delicate stage of determining that odor is what is paying. If you do not pay she won’t ever tell you it’s there without food on it. So by YOU going in to reward she will begin to expect that. Hold the treat AT THE HIDE to reward. That is called “Paying at Source.”

Two step process;
                                                      Paired hide for self-reward
                                                      YOU to pay her again IF she goes back, she will begin to expect it

This will change but for now, as she’s learning, this is important. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Liz Baldwin
                                                      Participant

First food/odor search out of boxes….working on weird footing more than weird objects….I know we need to do tight spaces and I’m wondering what I can do – any suggestions?  We leave for a show in New Mexico tomorrow.  I will try to do this but make it easy at first since we will be at a strange environment….

First hide was ambit of a problem at first…

More of the same but on noisy plastic

Last was was harder because I knew to get it her footing would shake a bit

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                        Keymaster

Nice job! And good challenges for her! Pay close attention to the searches where she doesn’t go to the hide straight away but shows clear body language cues that there is a hide there. That’s what we call “bracketing.” Then she searches for the “back door” or easier way to get there. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Liz Baldwin
                                                          Participant

Was hoping to have more videos but this weekend of shows was not the best time …….will try tight spaces tomorrow.  Off to New York on Sat and Petra is NOT going with me to Westminster as she is pregnant I’m sure (lots of sleeping, snuggling, peeing).  Please tell me pregnancy should not affect her nose.  She usually shows well but this weekend she acted like everything was boring to her.  Hormones I imagine……

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                            Keymaster

Congratulations! No, pregnancy should not affect her ability to search. In fact, she may be hungrier. 😉

Have fun at Westminster! Post when you can – we still have a few weeks in the course so no worries. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

Liz Baldwin
                                                              Participant

5 quick searches…sorry I couldn’t combine in to one….my bathroom is quite small but I felt it still had good learning opportunities.  1st video wasn’t sure that she would go underneath past the chair

real short but 2nd hide was easy….

3rd one – good bracketing????

4th was harder…she found it, saw it, but thought she couldn’t “fit”.  The other dogs scratching on the door was a good distraction

Last one…I love how she goes to all of the old spots (quite the cheater)…Not the head tilt at about 17….

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                Keymaster

I was able to fix the videos so they displayed – it seems the link MUST be on a new LINE of text. Go figure?

Anyhow, Petra looks GREAT! She’s hunting really well, lots of body pressure testing and she pushed thru for the rewards. Nice.

In the last video at (:17) we call that a “head snap.” Beautiful change of behavior, so glad you noticed it! Terrific clue for YOU when you don’t know where the hide is. 🙂

So tight spaces seemed to be not a problem, nor stuff on the floor. Did you try deep things where she has things over her head? The cupboard was a good example. Under tables, that sort of thing. Is there anything else that you noticed that gave her pause?

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Liz Baldwin
                                                                  Participant

I will attempt more “under cover” hides.  Not much else bothers her except for the goat.  I do not want to try to work around the goat – she has been wanting to butt at Petra and I’m not exposing her to that because of the puppies.  It’s just a game but too dangerous for now….I will do some hides before I leave for New York

Liz Baldwin
                                                                    Participant

what do you suggest I use to secure hides under things?  Unless it’s a metal table my tins with magnets won’t work and it’s hard to get food to stick…………

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                      Keymaster

Oh geez no, stay away from the goat! 🙂

You might try something like squeeze cheese or a small piece of sandwich meat slice. Those usually stick to things pretty well, kind of like we did on the vehicles. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Liz Baldwin
                                                                        Participant

I can try the baby food as reward but my tins for odor won’t stick.  have you ever used the “quake hold museum putty”?  I told you I bought a bunch of stuff before our 1st class….wasn’t sure what it might be for but now I think I know…..

• #16498
                                                                          Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                          Keymaster

Oh gosh, so sorry I missed this post! YES, museum putty works (I use QUAKE HOLD) as well as Glu-Dashes. Beware, they will pull the paint and wallpaper off when you remove the hide objects, tho’, so be careful where you use it. The putty is more forgiving but doesn’t work well in wet or cold.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #16722
                                                                            Liz Baldwin
                                                                            Participant

first hide…luckily I had a table with metal underneath!

2nd hide was wondering if old wood/ash would overpower the scent but evidently not….

I have concerns here…I had no way of sticking the reward so I placed it very close to my tin but evidently it blew/fell off,  You can see her at 46 but she walks away when there is no reward even thought the tin was there.  I’m afraid she is doing this all just for primary…..

• #16723
                                                                              Liz Baldwin
                                                                              Participant

next one was better as I put the food where it would remain but still have concerns that she is only working for food.

Last one was easy…

Thoughts?

• #16735
                                                                                Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                Keymaster

Hi Liz – sorry, was teaching all day so just getting to this now. I thought Petra looked really good with the challenges in every one of her searches. She’s efficient and really striving to get to source.

I think you posted the “better” video twice so when you refer to her only working for primary that video doesn’t show up. If you’ll post here I’ll take a look, tho’. It might help to give me a point of reference.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #16738
                                                                                  Liz Baldwin
                                                                                  Participant

you are correct – sorry I did post a video twice – here is the one that caused me concern…. She goes to all of the old successful places which seems logical to me but at 47, the food must have fallen behind the BBQ or something and although she got the scent, when she didn’t receive a reward she just kept on trucking….

• #16742
                                                                                    Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                    Keymaster

She noticed the odor, no question. It’s a process and she IS on the right track. It’s unfortunate that the food was not available to her – or did she find/eat it and then leave?

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #16754
                                                                                      Liz Baldwin
                                                                                      Participant

I doubt she ate it…she’s a slow eater……I think it blew down behind the BBQ.  What next….I know we only have a week left.  Should I be concerned that she is hunting for primary vs odor?  And is that the case or am I over reacting?  All of the hides have had food right beside odor …

• #16755
                                                                                        Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                        Keymaster

Ok, I’m still not worried. Here’s the thing; she’s making an association that the food+odor is what she’s looking for so it’s normal for her not to quite understand that it’s the odor that pays. I will put a lesson together to help both of you better understand what it is she’s hunting for!

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #16767
                                                                                          Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                          Keymaster

Here’s your next lesson!

NW103.12a: Odor Pays – Part A

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #16770
                                                                                            Liz Baldwin
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              1. OK but I did not do how do I get there can I do that later?
                                                                                            • #16772
                                                                                              Liz Baldwin
                                                                                              Participant

I just marked it as complete so I can move on but I will go back to it I promise!

• #16775
                                                                                                Liz Baldwin
                                                                                                Participant

So to be clear… we are pairing and use 6 or 7 boxes on leash.  Petra goes to the food/odor box self rewards.  Then I quietly wait for her to search again and when she goes to the box with odor, I drop in food.  Can she see me do it or is it better to try to get the reward in there while her head is in the box?  What if she doesn’t go back to the box? After a few attempts at this, I add one more odor box (don’t add too many odor boxes at a time, correct?) and repeat the same reward when she RETURNS to the odor source, correct?  How close can the odor boxes be?

Your note said if the dog goes to a box with no pairing, reward before she leaves but I thought all the boxes at this point had food AND odor???  Sorry for all of the questions but I want to get this straight before I attempt it…..

• #16795
                                                                                                  Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                  Keymaster

You hadn’t done the inaccessible hides lesson yet. 🙂

For you and Petra, I recommend doing Lesson 12 first, then go back to 11. So you’ll mark #11 complete.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #16796
                                                                                                    Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                    Keymaster

Only ONE box has odor. You can run her on leash so she stays in the area. The idea is that she doesn’t get to search the other boxes once she finds the odor box on her own and can self-reward. You are simply RE-reinforcing that she’s chosen to sniff the odor. Basically you’re standing there waiting to rain food into the box while her head is in it. Might take a larger box, depending upon your aim. It also takes patience.

Also, don’t forget that you’re keeping odor boxes and non-odor boxes from mingling. The scent will travel to all of them if they’re mixed and it’s confusing for the dog.

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                      Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #16917
                                                                                                      Liz Baldwin
                                                                                                      Participant

I guess Petra decided we are DONE!  I tried working a few days ago and she showed absolutely no interest in food.  She is not eating (vet says she’s OK).  I gave her a few days off and tried again today.  She goes to the correct box, eats 1/2 bite continues to search.  When I added more food. you can see her look at me like – “no way’.  I even tried feeding her from my hand but no go.  It’s not the food……I’ve tried everything from chicken hearts, cat food, baby food.  Guess it’s hormones.  I don’t want to push her or continue with negative results…

• #16932
                                                                                                        Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                        Keymaster

Aw, poor Petra – she looks almost nauseous! Well, no worries, just let her be. When is she due??

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                          Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #16942
                                                                                                          Liz Baldwin
                                                                                                          Participant

More bad news yesterday afternoon……Her sonogram showed no puppies!  I will let her be for a few days then try to play “lure coursing” (chase a plastic bag on a stick) to beef up her drive….She caught a possum in the barn the other night so I know her nose works but her brain is a bit foggy right now…….To say I’m disappointed is an understatement but it is what it is…….Let me know when/what’s next and hopefully I can get her working again!

• #16947
                                                                                                            Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                            Keymaster

Oh darn, I’m so sorry Liz. Believe me, I know the investment in time, energy and finances. I had one bitch whom I tried to get pregnant 4x without success. Really hard.

Give Petra a break, go out and do other things that are fun and don’t worry about it right now. You certainly don’t want anything negative to happen in the presence of odor, whether it’s nausea or anything else. She’ll pick things back up when she’s feeling better. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                              Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #17130
                                                                                                                Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                Keymaster

NW102/3 PLACE-MARKER FOR CONTINUING 3/25/19

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

• #17134
                                                                                                                Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                Keymaster

test

Kimberly Buchanan
                                                                                                                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 52 reply threads
                                                                                                              • The topic ‘NW102/103: Liz Baldwin & Petra (Belgian Sheepdog, TX)’ is closed to new replies.