~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

MW2016Mar: Carolyn, Cooper, & Scout (White Shepherds, MT)

Home Forums ARCHIVES MW2016Mar: MOVIE WEEK, March 16-22, 2016 MW2016Mar: GOLD STUDENTS (Private lessons, OK for all to view!) MW2016Mar: Carolyn, Cooper, & Scout (White Shepherds, MT)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Carolyn Murray
      Participant

Kim – you and I chatted at one point about using one of my videos for Cooper. Hope that is still cool! ๐Ÿ™‚

Let’s see – my dogs:

Scout is now 2.5 years old. She has a lot of enthusiasm and likes to do everything BIG. I’ve been training her in NW since she was about 6 months old and have done just about everything you can think of the wrong way. Despite her handler, she has successfully competed in UKC NW trials earning novice, advanced, and superior element titles. We tried for our NW1 last December but failed because I thought she was crittering and never called alert. She’s still got some overall maturing to do.

Cooper is about 7.5 and I almost totally ruined him in nosework by teaching him an indication first and not teaching him to hunt. He’s extremely sensitive and can be fairly reactive. I’ve done a lot of pairing with him over the past 10 months or so and observed how he plays the game instead of telling him how I want him to do it. He’s earned a UKC Novice element title (or two?). I ran him NW1-FEO last December and, not only was I impressed with him, but he would have titled easily that day! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Cooper and I have a long working partnership in other sports and I trust him 100%. In NW he’s the dog I run first if I want to see what’s going on with odor in the area.

These are two very different dogs who have a handler that needs lots of help! ๐Ÿ˜€

Carolyn Murray
        Participant

This is Scout. Filmed 2/21/16 around 5 pm or so. She was the third dog to search the area. Relatively warm day – around 40 or 45?? I’m sure there was at least a breeze as there always is…one birch hide aged over an hour.

Scout had done one search previous to this one. The first search was birch set along the side of the building. She walked down the side of the building, swung out, did a u-turn and hit the hide. No problem.

The beginning of this video is shot into the sun, so hard to see. Scout was really interested in the flower planters as we walked into the area. I rarely have to drag her anywhere – and I had to drag her away from those planters! That distraction was enough for me to forget to practice our entry, so you will see Scout run into the area and track. She seems to acknowledge the hide around 24 seconds (head flick) and continues to almost wander about the area before deciding to search. I remember thinking during this search, “Is she just checking stuff (like checking containers) or is she actually hunting odor?”

Looking at it now, I think maybe she got distracted and had trouble getting back on task? Now I”m wondering what I should have done differently….

Kimberly Buchanan
          Keymaster

Carolyn – thank you for reminding me, yes, it’s ok to use one of the videos of Cooper in this course since it is a’la carte and your choice of videos.

So, let’s look at this video of Scout;

It really does go to show how important your start routine has become! Scout was incredibly distracted until about (:46) when she began to sniff the adjacent table/bench area. Because of her distractability, I like that you went in and paid fast at (:58). She was clearly turning her head, trying to get to source under the bench and expected payment, so that part was nice! ๐Ÿ™‚

Obviously, in the beginning you could have stopped her after your flower planter distraction and gotten her refocused to begin the search but you admit you were a bit discombobulated so forgot your start routine. It happens. Just remember you can restart your dog ANYWHERE! When you saw that she started tracking, this is where you could have taken her aside, ideally down-wind, gotten her focused and asked her to search. I’ve done it in trial and it’s helped immensely. You can use that to keep your dog on task when something else is interesting or if s/he’s in a frenzy chasing odor or…. Obviously a re-start takes time. But if you take the 10 seconds to do that you can potentially save the 25 seconds of not really working. Even just a light touch to your dog might be enough to get them refocused.

The other option is to do just what you did, let her get this other “thing” out of her system and let her decide when to work. The problem with that is it lets the dog choose and that isn’t really helpful when they’re playing “our” game. In the dog’s world, in the real world it is fine. And it will help *some* dogs who NEED that time to acclimate. I think with Scout, having seen her before, it will be more helpful to teach her to focus her energies from the beginning.

Thanks for sharing this video – a really good example of what to do when your dog gets distracted! What do you think?

Kimberly Buchanan
            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Carolyn Murray
            Participant

This is great info! I don’t always feel like I can or should stop a search without completely starting over. So to know it’s okay to just stop the behavior and reset – that is really helpful for me.

Thanks again!

Kimberly Buchanan
              Keymaster

Just know you have that option. Sometimes it is disruptive but other times it’s exactly what is needed. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                Joyride K9 Dog Training

Carolyn Murray
                Participant

Alrighty – so this is Cooper.

Filmed 1/30/16 late morning. The day started off bitterly cold and windy but the sun came out and started quickly melting the prior evening’s snow fall. However, probably wasn’t over 30 degrees. I believe the winds had calmed by the time we filmed this.

Three hides – birch, anise, clove. Aged at least 30 minutes.

Cooper is a very sensitive dude and can be extremely reactive. However, we have a long standing working relationship and he is no shrinking violet. This is a challenging location for him, especially given the number of hides, because he is in close proximity to “real life”. You will see him get distracted a number of times to checks things out and to make sure all is well. Overall this search might have been a little over his head.

My timing of rewards is absolutely awful. I can’t carry food in my hand or he will start offering behavior everywhere. I couldn’t remember which pocket I was putting the cheese in, so terrible timing!!

He is extremely easy to shut down in nosework. He likes working for food, but he really likes working for toys. He can be a very, very pushy dog when he’s working, I’m just not seeing it in nosework yet. I don’t know how to train nosework with toys, so we haven’t gone that direction at this point.

Any general feedback or suggestions for me to help Cooper would be great! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
                  Keymaster

Hi Carolyn –

What was your training goal for this session? With Cooper’s distractibility in this environment I would have paid him much faster, even the moment he went to odor first.

Hide #1 – Not as distinct, looks like he was “near odor” but not really at source
                    Hide #2 – It looks like he got to the odor about (1:05) but didn’t look at you until (1:08) so that’s when you paid him (or tried. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) It’s hard to see from the angle of the camera, maybe he wasn’t actually at source yet?
                    Hide #3 – With this hide he got to it at (1:39) but was distracted, left it and went back about (1:50).

So if you’re waiting for communication, this is what you got! If you want to work on motivation around a distracting environment I would have paid him earlier.

What else should we be looking at with this search? You mention it might be too far above his head. What about the search, other than the environment is more advanced than his capabilities?

Kimberly Buchanan
                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Carolyn Murray
                    Participant

Hey,

Yeah, so your first question is the million dollar question. What was my goal? I think even at the end of January I was still in the “let’s set some hides and have the dogs find them” mode. Fortunately for my dogs, things are changing. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think the main thing I see when I watch this search is a dog that is too distracted by his environment and had to work through too many hides. If I were to set this up again, I would set one hide in the same vicinity but slightly farther away from the parking lot/sidewalk area. Might even head out first thing in the morning while the area is still relatively quiet just to build a little more confidence. My goal would be for Cooper to have a successful, confident search where he is paid quickly! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Actually, given the short successful searches we’ve practiced over the past 6 weeks, I’d be curious to see what he’d do in this location again….but with less hides.

I’m glad you are seeing clear communication from Cooper. It’s definitely one thing he’s really got going for him. Overall, he tends to give me a lot of information when he searches.

Thanks!

Kimberly Buchanan
                      Keymaster

๐Ÿ™‚

Great learning by the handler! ๐Ÿ˜€

Yes, same search area, less distractions, fewer hides, higher rewards with lowered criteria. Gotta start somewhere! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                        Joyride K9 Dog Training

Carolyn Murray
                        Participant

Okay – last video! I’m trying to end on a positive note and post a video that hopefully demonstrates the progress my poor dog’s handler is making! ๐Ÿ˜‰

This is Scout filmed 3/12. Probably around noon. Slightly overcast with a steady wind gusting to 20 mph. It was really warm – in the 50’s for sure. Very low humidity. 4th search of the day (2 bobcat searches, 2 container searches). Hide was probably only aged about 15 minutes or so.

In this location, the wind does some funky things and there can be quite a bit of swirling under the overhang where we are working. What I like about this search is that there is a very long corridor and Scout does not take off like a rocket. We start with tension on the line, but once she starts she is actually working and checks the back of the first bobcat. She picks up her pace and once she passes the other bobcat, there was a moment where I thought she was going to keep going. Instead she swung back and headed right to the plow and to odor (I wish the video followed her a little bit better to see exactly what she did at the point where she swung back to odor). And then her handler acts like a dork! ๐Ÿ™‚

This video is a lot more representative of how our searches have been going over the past 6 weeks or so, as long as I am doing my job. Also, I changed Scout’s harness from florescent orange to a soft pink which is probably the main reason why she is calming down (I am totally kidding). ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimberly Buchanan
                          Keymaster

That was highly entertaining! LOL! ๐Ÿ˜€

“Holy Smokes! I think she’s got it!”

Very cute~

Really nice focus from Scout, she looked on task from the start line and is really using her nose to find source. Good job!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
                            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Carolyn Murray
                            Participant

I should have said, “Holy smokes! Her handler finally got her act together!” Ha ha ha!

Really happy with the progress all three of us are making as a team. Thanks, Kim! Movie Week is a great program and I learned a TON from everyone! ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • The topic ‘MW2016Mar: Carolyn, Cooper, & Scout (White Shepherds, MT)’ is closed to new replies.