~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Gina Baker
      Spectator

Hi Gina and Kalli here – Kalli is a 10 yr. Aussie mix and we have been doing Nose Work for 5 years. We have our NW1 title and working towards our NW2. Slow and steady! Kalli is on the reactive side and have been very pleased with our journey, never thought we would come this far. Her birch ORT she nailed it, so here we are! Our goal is to continue growing as a team.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Here is our first video – It was our May SOTCM

(The first hide we had done before – was under the license plate of car)

Second hide – working the perimeter – I placed 1 birch hide on the underside of the back bumper of the large trailer. She did go to my car first and checked out the where I had put the first hide (lingering odor) was, gave a little paw but did not stay and then preceded down the side of the car facing the start line then around to the back, then did a body turn and hit the corner of the building – sniffed for a several sec. I don’t think she was in odor but …she did step away and then definitely caught odor as she went down the wall and hit the side of the trailer and front where the hitch was – she worked the front and the hitch down the side of the start line then around the back to the opposite side less than half way, then to the back and the side of the start line – she went up the side where she came down to the tires, then turned heading back catching odor under the side and a little bit of bracketing around the back corner of the large trailer then she hit the source!! It was very apparent that the odor was traveling underneath towards the front of the trailer. I thought she did a really nice job! When she came around the side by tires, the leash was fully extended so there could have been a little pressure but she did continue to go forward and as I caught up to her, she turned and went to the back of the trailer –could have been a little pressure. That is still something I need to work on – she needs the leash always to be loose. I know that, now I just have to practice it. LOL! Time was 2:34 sec. Not the best time but cool to watch.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Hey Folks, remember, these are private threads. To comment, be sure to make a new topic in the classroom. Thanks!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Nice work! I thought Kalli worked thru the lingering odor quite well. It’s ok for her to acknowledge that there was odor there and yet she didn’t try to convince you.

At the corner of the building; I think Kalli started out working odor. A corner like that is a great place for a dog to make some decisions about which way the air currents are taking odor. However, it does look like she then got caught up in “something else.” Note how still she is for a prolonged amount of time. Very telling. BUT, then she makes a decision to work the adjacent vehicle so my guess is that she did notice odor.

Now, she starts to work the vehicle on the wall side, but changes her mind. Was it because that’s how odor is moving or because it’s not a comfortable place to be? Not sure. She did work the wall side a few seconds later from the other direction.

What’s interesting to note is her behavior at (1:41). She looks like something has distracted her. No idea what it might be but she’s not fully engaged in searching until (1:44) and odor grabs her! Nice change of behavior. You mention tension on the leash but at that moment there is none. Kalli does a very nice job of bracketing and determining where source was located. And of course, I always love your celebrations with Kalli when she locates odor. 🙂

Overall, I thought your distance and leash tension were perfect for Kalli. You do a very good job of paying out/drawing in the line. Just remember not to drop your leash while rewarding. I know this was just practice but sometimes we get comfortable doing something that could be problematic in competition. 😉

Regarding leash pressure in general. At this point, there is no harm in applying a slight amount of pressure (very slight) to proof against it. You will want to see if Kalli will still pull towards odor regardless of the pressure since this could happen in a trial and you want to be sure Kalli isn’t overly swayed by your apparent decision to go in a different direction. Reward even more when she pulls against you to get to odor.

You two are working very well together!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Gina Baker
      Spectator

Thanks Kim! Yes, I also felt she seemed distracted at 1:41, did not see anything (but, even movement of a blade of grass can distract her – LOL) and this is where I thought I had put pressure on the leash – I wasn’t sure if she was distracted or trying to get closer to the tire because she was trying to make a decision. Very interesting, but as you said change of behavior and made the decision to go back. Very good point about slight leash pressure at this point.
      I finally found a comfortable way to handle the leash as far as paying out/drawing in – but I still do drop it at rewarding – my next thing to work on!

Thanks again
      #2 coming up

Gina Baker
      Spectator

Here is our second video…
      This huge roller was parked at the end of our road a couple weeks ago and instantly thought – cool vehicle type search! I placed 2 hides both were birch and they cooked for a little over an hour. About 7:00PM, no wind and in low 70’s. I really liked the first hide for Kalli because of the height, above her head but she could still get to source. Poor leash handling at rewarding! She did have a bit of trouble moving on, probably due to me getting the leash wrapped around her leg. The second hide I expected her to go around to the other side to hit it better but she went underneath and got to source. OOPS – treat dropping that time. I still struggle with hide placement for a good puzzle but at the same time keeping it safe.
      Another idea for a class!
      Overview – I liked how she worked both hides in spite of very poor handling on my part.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Actually, your leash handling wasn’t as bad as it may have felt! 🙂 Sure, there was a tangle at the first hide but your tension and distance seemed to be right on.

I actually like this puzzle! Cool search object, too. What’s nice is that Kalli is very communicative when she finds odor and seeks you out for payment. It looks like she is rewarded well. Yeah! She does go back to the first hide a few times, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Good that she is that invested.

With the second hide, she works it w/o regard and goes under the hitch to source! Also, working outside with whatever distractions were in the area didn’t seem to be an issue. I wouldn’t worry too much about dropping treats. It happens. And it’s all good to Kalli! 🙂

One question: I noticed that you hold the treats in your hand for fast delivery but you keep your hand behind your back during the search for the second hide. Is this habit or would Kalli really get distracted by food in your hand? (You moved it there when she asked to be paid again for the first hide.) Do you have a bait pouch or do you keep rewards in your pocket? I find that I keep one or two rewards in my hand (the rest in a bait pouch) and then reload as the dog leaves one hide to go to another. I can always grab more treats if I want to reward more at a hide but this way it’s less likely I will drop them. Still happens sometimes but less. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Gina Baker
      Spectator

I usually do keep the treats in my pocket but I forgot my treat bag and this particular pair of short have fake pockets!! It was a big surprise when I got them home LOL! So, my hand behind my back is a little bit of both – habit and if Kalli knows I have treats in my hand, she will keep trying to get them. When we first started I would keep treats in my hand for fast rewards and it did become a habit. No doubt she is food motivated!

Gina Baker
      Spectator

Last video!

So I decided to use another “vehicle” – with discussion going on about rewarding then have them keep working the scent and body pressure etc…
      As you can see our search was on a John Deere, one hide being birch, a nice breeze and temperature was in the 70”s. Started upwind – I think that is correct, always yet that mixed up – (the at our face).
      She caught it right away but really had to work to get to source. She chooses to go to her left to it. Seemed to have lost it but when we rounded the corner change of behavior at 0:33. Still working it – 0:58 off camera but she was still working – once at front again she decided to go to her right. Thought that was very interesting. She did look at me for approval but …
      At 1:38 she wanted to be rewarded but didn’t feel she was close enough and needed to work it out more – good or bad decision?
      At 1:58 I actually was talking to her – saying “maybe go high” and she did but I think I talked her into, she wasn’t really convinced. Should I have rewarded there? Instead of just standing I decided to move to the other side to help block the wind – good or bad decision? She got!
      Question – what are your thoughts on talking in a way that you may be directing them?

Thanks!!! Can’t wait for the next “Movie Week”

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Such a cool vehicle search!

I would say you probably started “down wind” since you say the wind was at your face, blowing odor towards you?

I like how thoroughly Kalli details the tractor. She’s really trying hard to find source but you can see her at the far left how much is blowing up and over the vehicle. And when she steps up on the big tire, she’s catching odor all over!

When she initially looks at you at the tire (1:36) I think you were smart to just take a step. That encouraged her to keep working the problem. There were a few points where you could have rewarded but I don’t think you were wrong, waiting her out as she finally did locate source. 🙂

This was a tricky search! You can see how much the odor was blowing and trapping. I wasn’t sure how accessible it was at first, watching Kalli work initially from the left but once I saw that the hide was actually accessible I thought you were right to wait her out and she did a terrific job of figuring out the problem. 🙂

Oh – and your distance/movements were perfect! If you consciously chose to move in a way to block the wind, kudos to you! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Gina Baker
      Spectator

Thanks Kim!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The topic ‘MW2016Jul: Gina & Kalli (Aussie, NY)’ is closed to new replies.