~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

MW2016DEC: Terry and Taku (Alaskan Klee Kai – Alaska)

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Terry Wright and Kai
      Participant

For those that don’t know us, Taku and I have taken several online classes with Kim. Taku is a 15 year old Alaskan Klee Kai. He is basically death and has a couple bouts of Pancreatitis. Today he is doing very well and we love the sport of nose work, he is dog reactive and this is the only sport we can *play* in!

Taku and I’ve been doing Nose Work for approximately 6 years. Until recently, before finding Kim’s classes, I drive 2 hours round trip for in-person classes, tho we take off most of the winter. Don’t want to be on the roads in the dark, cold, icy roads and where moose could decide to take a stroll across in front of your vehicle… scary! So we take online classes 🙂

Up here in Alaska we only have from one to two trials a year of we are lucky. Taku received his NW1 title on his third try. We missed the last NW Trial this fall because Taku was ill. At this time we aren’t sure when the next trial will be, hopefully this spring. It will be Taku’s 4th time going for his NW2 Title, I think I should say… MY 4th time since it was my boo boos that tripped us up 🙂

We just took the Back to Basic class that Kim offered, but didn’t get to the last two lessons, so I may do those for two for our videos. A couple of other things we could work on would be corners and thresholds. It really is hard to just pick three!! Can’t wait for the next Back to Basic Part 2 🙂 I love the small detailed building boxes that B2B teaches us. 6 years ago was a long time ago and sometimes you forget the littler things…

Looking forwarded to submitting our videos and hearing from Kim… and comments for you all also 🙂

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Welcome back, Terry! FWIW, you WILL have the opportunity to post those B2B videos in the part B coming up in a couple of months! 🙂

Oh – and I’m pretty sure you meant to say Taku was “deaf” not “death.” 😉 Thankfully! 😀

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
      Participant

oh lordy… yes deaf!!

That’s good to know about the last two lessons from B2B part A. But…. now I have to come up with something else… hmmmmmm

Terry Wright

Terry Wright and Kai
      Participant

Kim, know you’ve been busy… I asked for clarification about SOTMC – “Hi-Ho, Hi-Lo, It’s Off To Search We Go… Lesson, so I could do it for one of my videos for Movie of the Week. So, while I wait for your response I’ll submit this video that was taken late this summer at the back of our favorite Gas Station where they park their equipment waiting maintenance and/or body work.

I’m calling this video Swiss Cheese. And Jim was holding the phone the wrong way… and he was talking 🙂

First, have you seen anything like this used in trials, or anything that could be called Swiss Cheese??

Second, I didn’t know where the hide was located… if I had known I would have called it at .14!!! (And the chances are good that I would have in a trial)

At .31 it’s like he is looking at me like Mom what do you want, I alerted on it and you ignored me.

At .40 he catches it at the top and alerts… again I do nothing 🙁 Looks like he wants to walk away… probably in disgust… HA

1.04, he is catching odor… 1:17 he puts his front feet up and is in odor, gives me the *look*.

At 1:23 he has his nose on it!

So, since I didn’t accept his alert at .14, was I right on waiting until he was right on it at 1:23???

Thanks!

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Oh gosh, I’m sorry!? I don’t see a note about SOTMC? I’ll head over there and answer! (Video review for here in the morning….)

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
      Participant

thanks for answering my concerns.

Will post another video after the one above is reviewed 🙂

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Aw, poor Taku! It is one of those things where you have to go back and re-explain to the helpful hide-setter what type of hide to place and what would be a good call!

YES, Taku should have been paid at any of the times that he told you where it was. With that much odor blowing around none of his communication was “wrong.” What might have “helped” (in retrospect, of course!) would be to pair the hide. Even tho’ in the real world Taku WAS correct, I am thinking if there was a paired hide there he *may* have tried harder to actually get to source.

This would be a very hard hide to judge so it is unlikely you’d see something like this in trial. BUT, never say never. If you trust your dog (and you should 😉 ) he will tell you that it is there.

Good job, Taku! 😀

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
      Participant

Yeah he did tell me where it was at .14 and I should have called it! When I was watching one of Susanne’s Trial videos, I wondered if they would use those *holey* picnic tables and benches as they were like Swiss cheese. Like you said, never say never, but they seemed like a hard thing to work with… but I suppose they would have to say up front what they would take as an alert area.

Anymore we don’t have unknown hides when we are practicing, so I can get in quickly to reward when Taku tells me it’s there.

Here is my second video. MOW #2 (SOTHC – Interiors Round 1 Low Hides)

I used two birch and two anise and they cooked for about 20 minutes.

.06 Taku finds the freezer hide (you can see it), I go in quickly before he gives me his *look*. He does go back and checks the side of the freezer, thinking odor went along the bottom to the side and up. He briefly checks out the other side also, but moves on.
      .36 – He goes back to the first hide and yes I do talk to him and tell him to move on.
      .42 – 2nd hide under the bottom file drawer. Again I move in quick to reward before the *look*. There was a little head snap.
      1.02 – 3rd hide under the lip of the center metal bottom thingie on garage door. Great body snap!! Love it!! He is turning to give me the look since I was further away and didn’t get in before he started moving his head.

Hide 4 is under the bottom of the plastic tub under the chair. I’m thinking the odor spread over to his food bag. At 1.15 I believe that he picked up the odor and turned back towards it. At 1:24 after smelling the area he looks at me… hmmm?? In a trial not knowing where the hide was I could not have called alert, I could not have told them *where*, so I waiting on him to go back to work.
      He makes a little circle, I expect that the odor has spread to the black web matting and the carpet. At 1.31 he is on it and has started to give me the *look*. I go in and treat at source.

My last video will be either of Round 2 or Round 3 of SOMTC Interiors.
      I’m anxious to do them both and play around with the options also, so will try to finish up over on the SOMTC with Interiors 🙂
      Thanks!!

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Very good job! Keep in mind those pieces of equipment like refrigerators have motors that suck in and push out air so the odor will move around them a lot! Taku was likely following the trails and puffs and sorting it out to work back to the odor he’d already found. 🙂

Nice head snap, nice look at you and good job staying at source!

The only caution I have is when you move him on be careful not to miss those corners. After the third hide you swished him on and he skipped the corner of the garage. Yes, he got the hide but it’s just something to be aware of when you don’t know where the hide(s) are located. Also, since Taku has been pretty honest about communicating odor, I would believe him when he says the underside of the chair had odor, likely all those crevices were filling with scent. 🙂

Boy, he’s sure looking perky! Is it the cold weather or is he just feeling a whole lot better? 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
      Participant

Ok, going to rewrite what I wrote last night when the system decided to go down and zipped my post when I hit submit. You know when you have to rewrite something, it’s never like when you first wrote it, right? And I know better, should always write it in a word program first then copy it to where ever you need it, just in case.

This video is of the SOTMC Interior – High Hides (Round 2)- 2 birch and 2 anise and the opposite side of the garage as the low hides were a few hours previous.

Taku goes back to the freezer area, lingering odor I’m guessing? He goes across room and looks to be on odor (it’s on the black boat motor) but he works away towards the hide at the end of the wood panel, converging odors?? He goes back to the motor and @ .35 alerts (hide 1).

He went to the opposite side of the room and checked it out, circling back to the right side.

At 1:13 he gets the hide (#2) at the side of the wood panel. He once again goes to the left side of the garage. He goes to the garage door in the area where the low hide had been a few hours earlier in Round #1 Low Hides, lingering odor? OR was he just checking out a place that looked familiar to him? My guess would be lingering odor?

At 1:58 alerts on the hide (#3) at the inside top left of that table, luckily I knew where the hide was and where he alerted at.

He heads back over to the left side of the room, with out me telling him (swishing) he goes back to the right side of the garage, he wants to to turn to his left so I move out of his way even tho I know there are no more hides in that direction. But with me moving he is looking at me like *what are you up to?*. I keep backing up to keep out of his way and he continues to search.

At 2:35 he did a quick check of the vacuum and then looks at me, I know the hide is on the vacuum but he was not exactly on source… looking back… was it close enough where I could have called alert? I’m not sure. If I had been asked *where* and didn’t know where the hide was located, I would have only been able to point in the general area. hmmmm maybe it could have been a *yes*. He proceeds to check out the smaller vacuum, his nose goes up and quickly back to the first bigger vacuum and alerts at 2:45 (#4). Well, if we would have had 3 minutes for the 4 hide search we would have made it 🙂 LOL, could have shaved off .10 seconds by calling alert at 2:35… hmmmm

Yes we need to work on corners more, maybe that will come back up again in B2B Part 2 🙂

So when he looked at me after he checked under the chair… that could have been an alert and rewarded?

Yes… Taku is doing very well, he is enjoying the cooler weather and practicing NW. Thanks!

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

At first I thought you had the wrong video and then I realized, no, you did mean “high” hides. IMO this is still low hides. 😉

Regardless, good info to look at…

Taku does spend a bit of time at the freezer but I wonder if it’s because there is a motor there that draws odor?

He also works odor off the opposite wall. Really good info for you to keep in mind: When the dog is working one side of an area, MAYBE the hide is on the opposite side! 😉

Taku does a very good job of not going back to previous hides!

COOL change of behavior at (1:42)!

It is possible Taku was going to lingering odor on the garage door but more likely it was a combination of being where it had been previously and the fact that it is an OBJECT on the wall. Not atypical for dogs to focus on objects.

I do think you were able to influence him somewhat to check the corner area simply by your body movement. And yes, I’d have paid him at his first indication on the vaccuum. 🙂

I thought he did a good job!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
      Participant

ohhhh, how high were you looking for? Like a foot over his head, or more? We can redo this one for practice or for the SOTMC Dec Interior lesson.

It is a working Freezer so I suspect the motor could have been sucking in and blowing out odor.

I am learning that if they are checking out one side, it could be on the opposite side, learned it the hard way in a trial 😉

That’s what I was thinking it was an object on the garage door so he wanted to check it out, just in case. He did the same thing on the wooden closet door on the left side (wrong side of room) when he check out the metal lock/hing.

I need lessons on when/how close to the odor source I can/should call alert 🙂 LOL
      I see that some dog are right on source and they keep their noses at source. So, I stress out about if I call it and he isn’t *right on* source. hmmm something to add to B2B Part 2, or is this more of an advance lesson?

Thanks Kim, I also think that Taku worked this search area very well.

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Height is all relative but I was expecting over his head by a foot or more. 🙂

What is a good call? That’s the $64,000 question. I think you need to look at the structure of where the hide is, how your dog is trying to get to source and how odor is moving. It’s not black and white but I would err on the side of the dog. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • The topic ‘MW2016DEC: Terry and Taku (Alaskan Klee Kai – Alaska)’ is closed to new replies.