MW2016DEC: Sarah and Angie (beagle/brittany/cattle dog mix, PA)

Home Forums ARCHIVES MW2016DEC: Movie Week! December 7-13, 2016 MW2016DEC: GOLD Students (Private Lessons, OK for all to view!) MW2016DEC: Sarah and Angie (beagle/brittany/cattle dog mix, PA)

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic
    Sarah Woodruff
    Spectator

Hi we are back again! Angie (10 yo) and I have been doing nose work since 2011 and are currently competing at the elite level. We have only competed in 4 elite trials in the past 18 months, but i have to say she is doing very well and surprised me at the most recent one. Cool weather is definitely her friend.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Sarah Woodruff
    Spectator

First video is from Ringwood NJ Elite trial. This was our first search of the day. Angie was pumped the entire day. For this search we had to go up a very steep and long set up rock stairs to get to the front door of the building. As you can imagine, with the door being held open she smelled odor and dragged me up those stairs.

Kim, when you were out in PA in March or April, one issue I thought I was having is that she was checking in with me more. At first I thought it was an age thing, but at this trial I finally figured it all out. You will see it in this first video, she checks in when she runs into a wall of converging odor. she stops and looks back at me. She is very independent and will search her heart out without me, so these check ins really threw me. I finally learned that there are 2 check ins (besides an alert). One is when she hits the massive wall of converging odor and the second is when she is done or there is a lack of odor present.

#1. There is a threshold hide and her behavior tells me that but she doesn’t source it immediately.
    #2. At around 23/24 second you see that check in.

She ends up passing 4 hides to get the 5th under a chair and then we have to work back to finding the others.
    The other hides are on the machine at the threshold, on the middle black square on the leg press (or whatever that is) and on the elliptical in the middle of the room, and behind the white board.

We end up missing one behind the white board. You can even see me thinking about leashing her up, but then i don’t. Of course in retrospect I wonder if that would have made a difference in finding that last hide???

Ok, first thought it’s about stepping into the room at the threshold. I wonder if you’d held back if she’d have gotten that one? She seemed to notice it but moved on.

It also looks like her check in at the (:22-:23) Mark was catching the whiteboard odor?

At about (2:25) you do a nice job of getting Angie to detail that corner. I think your insticts were correct to put her on leash and detail the bicycle things and wall near the white board. You pointed to it but then she got caught by the equipment in the Middle of the room and where she had already doing odor. (She went to the wall but I’m betting she needed to be down further on the wall.)

It seems like she bounces around a lot with the odor convergence. We’ve worked on the close hides previously with pairing, I think? Were you able to continue working the close convergence unpaired?

Tough area to search! Do you feel you covered the space? With Angie bopping all around the room it’s not a bad thing to let her search off leash but I think if you’d trusted your instincts and leashed her up you might have solved that 5th one. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sarah Woodruff
    Spectator

Yes we’ve worked on close hide unpaired and I have seen an improvement, but then they have probably not been out as long as they could be in a trial situation.

I definitely feel we covered the entire space multiple times.

I’m getting better at deciding on/off leash at trials, but overall see better success on. But it really depends on the search area.

also I feel like that first search is a warm up and then we get our groove on the rest of the searches. I have a video of another large space where I chose to start on leash but after quite a while it felt like her enthusiasm was decreasing (here there was no odor in half the room) and once I took her off leash her speed picked up. So i’m getting better at making that decision but still not always feeling like we did our best when we leave a hide behind.

It’s hard to know! I’m at an Elite trial right now, having to make those decisions! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Hi Sarah! Are you around?? I hope you can post the next video so I can review and then you will have time to post your 3rd one by the end of today!

Kimberly Buchanan
    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Sarah Woodruff
    Spectator

Ah thanks for the reminder. Here is another trial video, first search of the day. We missed two hides. I can’t believe I looked away for a split second and missed her nose lift and beeline to the sign. She has been checking up more frequently and can give some falses up. What kills me also is from the view of the video I can see after I didn’t reward for the high hide she was on the other hide that we missed and I pulled her in the opposite direction. It was on the fencing on that deck between the sign and the rest of the stuff.

We are trying to work on faster commitment on her part and faster commitment to call it on my part. Since we did all of those multi hide/close hide practice, Angie DRIVES to source. It’s almost like she MUST touch it and will plow through anything in her way. I have another video where she worked a bench for 10 second before she alerted and before I would call it. Now that every point counts I want to be sure! But at the same time I want to use our time wisely to find as much as possible.

PS – Congrats on your recent trial accomplishments!

Thanks for the congrats! It was a lot of fun and I’m thrilled! 🙂

So I’m trying to *see*…. there is a hide on the sign and there is a hide to the right on the fencing near the tables, correct? I didn’t see any specific behaviors drawing her towards the fencing and you had two hides already in that area so it would be super easy to miss that. BUT I saw lots of interest and communication up on that sign. It looks like you DO see her showing that interest. Were you just gunshy to call an alert because of the history of falsing on high hides? I think, watching her bracketing, I’d have called it and risked the 1/2-hide loss if I were wrong. She also shows in several areas that there is a high hide somewhere. The first few times she went by the sign her nose was down and she didn’t catch it. This last time she does leave the hide but only (I think) because you gave her some body pressure to move on.

I noticed that Angie spent a bit of time searching low but only seemed to get caught up in “something else” around the (:58) mark.

Glad to hear that some of our training is having a positive effect! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘MW2016DEC: Sarah and Angie (beagle/brittany/cattle dog mix, PA)’ is closed to new replies.