~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Deb (De) Frost
      Participant

Hi! This is Deb (De) Frost from Alaska with 5-yr-old Dachshund, Baxter. We’re participating this week from sunny (well, partly sunny) California! Bax & I flew down this week for a NW3 trial (among other things) – where we missed our title today by 1 threshold hide <big sigh> … in Containers, of all things. Dang. I’m hoping to be able to get some recent videos up – using my Kindle! Wish me luck!

Welcome Deb & Baxter! So sorry to hear about the missed hide but what a great trip! Will see you tomorrow! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Deb (De) Frost
      Participant

Finally! I ended up having to go on my Mom’s computer to get my videos uploaded to You Tube so I could download one here! 🙂 Success!

OK, I am starting out with the most awful of all my trial searches – go for it, Kim. I really do need to be slapped upside the head for this one. Talk about NOT supporting your dog. Sigh. It was a NW3 Exterior search. Unknown # of hides, large search area (intimidatingly large <g>), cool morning temps (50s-low 60s maybe?) Linda/Terry, do you remember? Fog and damp, but not raining. Breeze coming pretty much from left to right (as the camera sees it) across the start line.

YES, the (single) HIDE is on the front corner of the white building on the left of the start line. The breeze is blowing the odor across the area, pooling against the building on the right, especially the doorway. Baxter searched that wall end to end and top to bottom (as best he could reach) … in hindsight, his frustration is obvious. 🙁

Baxter caught the odor just a couple of feet in from the start line, but instead of working into the wind, he followed to odor to the building/doorway, where he ended up getting stuck “in odor, but not ON odor” … and with a handler that pretty much ended up trapping him there, blocking him from leaving the area to go in search of source. Had I just backed up a bit and given him “permission” to move on to search elsewhere, we most likely would’ve been fine. Grumble.

Does that pretty much cover MY end of the screw-up? I think he was on odor and he knew he couldn’t reach it … maybe thought it was simply inaccessible (up higher on the door?), or he may have known darn well it wasn’t there but stayed because I so obviously WANTED him to keep searching there?

Here’s the good news, Deb; you can see and understand what happened!! So many times we’re oblivious to what happens and of course we then have no idea how to fix the problem. 🙂

What’s one thing we talk about when we determine how a search will go? What happened at the threshold. I do believe Baxter would have gone left had you not stepped forward with him into the search. Look at (:06)…..

🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Deb (De) Frost
      Participant

Dang … I DIDN’T see that! I knew he had glanced that direction (left)

, but it wasn’t until you said that that I SAW how my moving forward affected him right at the start. ?

Deb (De) Frost
      Participant

Here is video #2, trying to catch up with everyone while I still have computer access. 🙂
      I’ll be leaving for the airport in another hour (it’s about a 2-2 1/2 hour drive from my Mom’s house back down to LAX to catch my flight home), and although I can read and follow what’s going on on my Kindle, I have a hard time uploading photos from YouTube, so I’m going to do this now – and hopefully have time at the airport to sit and view/read and maybe even reply.

SO, this is also from the August K9 Nose Work Trial in Ninilchik, AK. This is the NW3 Container search, which Baxter managed to complete successfully (Yay!). It was a dimly lit room, two doors and a number of windows. Around the containers were quite a few items that were obviously affecting the odor in various ways. The brown bag on the far upper right of the view caused all sorts of issues for a LOT of dogs.

Looking forward to your input on this one. It was an interesting search!

I remember seeing this room with Containers from someone else’s search – maybe an NW2? I believe they also had a hide at the corners and it was a tough search. Notice that Baxter doesn’t get that tan bag at the right until he goes outside of the search area and comes back then burps the bag. It still took him some figuring to actually get it tho!

Baxter is a hard one to follow because he moves around so much, stirring up the odor! I did notice that you stayed on the inside of the search area and HE didn’t necessarily check the containers from the outside very much, either. Super easy to miss a hide when the dog only checks one side of the bag toward the inside of the search area.

I think it was helpful that the two hides were in small bags and Baxter could get on top of them and that he did go out slightly at those corners to work back to the hides. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Deb (De) Frost
      Participant

Yep, Baxter skipped the left corner (as viewed by the camera) entirely the first time around. I did take note to get him back there, but it sure could’ve saved time if he’d gotten out there initially. I’ve been working on TRYING to get him to understand patterning better, but he’s pretty darn stubbornly HOUND-like in that respect. He likes to do things his way, which often doesn’t mesh well with my already lousy short term memory. ?

I’m betting it was Linda & Molly – they were at the same NW3 trial. Shoot, I didn’t even think to check to see if they’d already used the same search! ? I’ll check to see what else Linda posted before I put up my 3rd video, so I don’t duplicate another search!

So, do you think it would be more helpful for ME to spend more time outside the container area, or just see that HE does?

Deb (De) Frost
      Participant

OK, this Interior search was done at a friend’s house shortly before the August trial. I’ve watched it over and over, and still don’t really understand why the 2nd hide was so complicated.

The search area is the bathroom and adjacent closet, with a threshold hide under the scales. Lots of “fabric” in the closet, but it was more a “seasonal clothes” and storage space rather than a closet used daily. The 2nd hide is in the closet – right at the doorway to the bathroom, tucked a couple of inches back under the edge of a wire storage box.
      The hides had been placed about an hour before. Very little air movement other than the bathroom door opening and closing. You can see how hard Baxter worked this hide.

What do you see from Baxter in this search, and what might I have been missing as a hide setter?

What is IN the wire storage box?

It does seem that Baxter detected odor in the closet so there was some odor coming out but my guess is because it cooked for about an hour with little air movement it’s possible it turned into an odor bomb and got absorbed by all of the fabrics in the area but had no place to really work off of to get back to source. See how easily Baxter got distracted by the pocket of something. Consider a closet to be as difficult as a bunch of luggage. Baxter had to sort thru all the clothes and “stuff” inside the suitcase. Think about all the extra smells the dog needs to work thru and odors that have been absorbed by the fabrics in the area.

It’s also possible the odor was going deeper into the shelf and left corner of the closet and not emanating out very much so until Baxter actually put his nose onto the wire of the shelf he did not detect that source was there. I wonder if the hide had been ever so slightly closer to the edge if it would have been easier?

Of course, this is all conjecture but it would be an interesting experiment to see what other dogs did in this situation. Fabric areas are hard! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The topic ‘MW 2016Dec: Deb & Baxter’ is closed to new replies.