~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Holly Hoover
      Participant

Lesson one with almost 7 month old Pax: Many challenges including new environment (my son’s garage), new vehicle (my son’s Harley), 2 other vehicles and our trial gear in the garage, motorcycles have many places for odor to do strange things, elevation,…

We did 2 searches. In both searches I placed steak and ground turkey in plain sight in a plastic container. Both searches were off leash. The first hide was on the driver’s foot rest, about a foot off the ground. He knew I had hidden nummy food, because he watched me cook it and cary it to the garage. When I let him go through the door, he ran past the hide and did a perimeter lap. He, then, came up the middle of the garage and sniffed the edges of the crate, which led him to the hide. As he ate the food, I continued to drop steak into the small plastic container I also use for room hides.

Next hide was on the passenger foot rest, about 6 inches higher. The results were a little surprising. He did his perimeter sweep, then circled the other vehicles, each a couple of times. I expected him to go directly to the motorcycle. He passed by the hide a couple of times and with each pass, tossed his head back and took a big nose hit. When he finally slowed down a little and lowered his head at the right time, he was able to find the hide.

I plan on keeping him on primary for quite awhile. He is in a suspicious, barky stage right now.

Kimberly Buchanan
        Keymaster

Very interesting! It sounds like his perimeter laps are possibly to ensure the location is “safe?” Did he look like he was searching for the food after he did his lap on the second search? I wonder how much he stirred up the odor/food smell each time he went by the hide? How fast was he moving? Did his brain not quite engage until he was well past the hide?

How fun to watch the wheels turn in a new K9NW pup! A lot of what might seem like “Duh” moments are part of the learning process. We forget with our older and more seasoned dogs that they probably went thru this, too! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kimberly Buchanan
          Keymaster

Oh – and with pups who are just developing and going thru weird stages do what you’re doing by making it simple. The environment is an exponential challenge for some! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Holly Hoover
            Participant

I’m not sure about those perimeter laps, Kim. I’ve done a lot of corner hides in open boxes in our garage and basement. He was definitely searching for food, though. He was going pretty fast and I’m sure odor was everywhere. His tail is his nose’s worst enemy! Jarrett and I laughed at him because, yes, his brain engaged well past the hide….. if at all. I have yet to give him a hide that was not super accessible. In fact, all of his box hunts have been with open boxes. It’s funny, my girls love a challenge. To Pax, everything is fun and challenging. I am glad I have you as a resource and this course. I HAVE TO GO SLOW WITH HIM.

Kimberly Buchanan
              Keymaster

Very easy to rush too fast with a talented dog. But it’s best to give a strong foundation to try and avoid holes in your training that will bite you later on. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The topic ‘Lesson one’ is closed to new replies.