~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Lesson 2 is up tho’ we have a lot of folks still working on Lesson 1. No worries, I just wanted to get it out there so people can get started as soon as they’re done with the first lesson. Lesson 2 is in multiple parts so it will take awhile to complete. ๐Ÿ™‚

(Remember to wait for feedback and discussion on Lesson 1 before posting the next one.)

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Carolyn Murray
      Participant

Just read lesson 2. Really looking forward to working on this! ๐Ÿ™‚

Carolyn Murray
      Participant

To age or not to age with this lesson? I’m thinking aging the hide doesn’t matter if your dog is blowing through the threshold anyway.

Thoughts??

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Your choice. The hides should be simple enough so the dog who is engaged in the search can find it easily.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Susanne Howarth
      Participant

For the first element in this lesson, we did single hide searches. However, I’m wondering whether we could/should do multiple hides for other elements? And if we do more than one hide, do you want to see the entire search or only until the threshold hide is located. I figure the dog’s reaction to a search area with more than one hide will be different from a single hide search, and that may also be interesting.

Any guidance on this? Or should I just keep it simple and stick with only 1 hide per search?

Terry Wright and Kai
      Participant

Kim, do you have a number of lessons in mind for this 6 weeks? Just trying to see what is ahead of me.
      Thanks!

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Sue: one hide per search, please. This is a basics class. ๐Ÿ™‚

Terry: it will depend on how fast everyone works through them. ๐Ÿ™‚ Consider that there is a lot to work on and a lot to discuss so it will be a busy 6 weeks. If you fall behind you will still have access to all the information so just do what you can do.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terry Wright and Kai
      Participant

Thanks Kim!… So every time you say basic… we should be thinking keep it simple… right ๐Ÿ˜‰

Terry Wright

Susanne Howarth
      Participant

๐Ÿ™‚ Typical me. Let’s see if I can complicate things if at all possible! (At least when we worked just now I had low, paired hides to make it easier!!! But those exercises will just be practice searches for my girls — NOT lesson 2 searches!)

Terry Wright and Kai
      Participant

Susanne, join the club… let’s see how much we can add to one search!! DUH, got 2 vehicles let’s stick a ton of odor on them! hehehe

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Yes, Terry! If I want to add more hides I will ask for more. Setting up searches that are always difficult won’t really help your dog. We want to explore simple exercises to reinforce the basics so your dogs stay motivated and excited. Now is not the time for testing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Plus, we need to look at some of the fundamentals to see if your dogs know how to work easy things, too.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Lesson 2 is up!’ is closed to new replies.