~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Holly Hoover
      Participant

The garage. The door to the garage was the start line. To our left was the Toyota Tundra, in the middle the Harley, to our right the Passat. Pax is on primary only. First hide driver’s side headlight of the Tundra. At the start line he was his usual puppy ‘let me go hunt’ self. After he is released he throws his head back and sniffs high in tne air. Then, he sniffed the edge of the counter to the right of the door. He went right and circled the Passat, then circled the Harley. While going around the Harley, he caught a whiff of the steak. He went straight to the bumper and detailed his way to the hide. Next on the passenger foot rest of the Harley. Same prehunt enthusiasm. Went directly to where the hide was. Third hide passenger side headlight of Passat. More focused at start line. Went to check the Harley where he had found it before. Then went around the Harley. As he came to the front of the Harley he caught odor and went directly to the hide. It isso fun watching him learn! This has made me appreciate what a seasoned little hutress my AirBear is.

Kimberly Buchanan
        Keymaster

Yes! Working a new dog makes you appreciate those with experience!

Question: I realize I did not specify Lesson 2 to be an ON-LEASH exercise, but have you considered working this on leash? Especially at his young age, if you limit how far he gets to go into the search area, it should encourage him to go directly to the hide and eliminate the ranging out. We want him to ASSUME there is something close by, not that he will find a hide by searching the entire area.

?

Kimberly Buchanan
          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Holly Hoover
          Participant

I will do an on leash do over!

Holly Hoover
            Participant

Hunt #1 the Tundra. He tried to cross the start line and I held him back with the leash. He was confused and stared at me. When he refocused on the search area, I let the leash out just about a foot. He tried to turn toward the car and do a perimeter sweep. I held him in the area of the bicycles until he started using his nose. When I could see him catching odor over by the truck, I gave him more leash. He sniffed around the area ubtil he found it. ALmost identical process on motorcycle. On third hunt, the car, he was more settled at the start line. He wanted to blast past the hide and do the perimeter around the car, again, so I held him until he got a good whiff of the chicken. then he went straight to it.

I think that Pax is such a perfect example of why it is important to train using the K9NW method. I keep telling people that NW is not about the odor, it is about hunting skills. Can you imagine if I started him by huffing a coctail of target odors and insisted on a final responce behavior??????? OMG. He is used to running around randomly sniffing boxes. He was just beginning to get the idea that he could use his nose and save some time. Boys??? THe girlies seemed to always hunt smart….

Now, knowing this, what next?

Kimberly Buchanan
              Keymaster

Brilliant! We’re helping them to create good habits and to hunt more effectively. Many dogs come pre-programmed with this ability. But as a puppy, it’s way more fun to just run around! By a little leash pressure and strategic hide placement, he may learn to pay attention sooner. You may not need the leash the next time. 😉

So move on to the next element and see what works!

Kimberly Buchanan
                Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The topic ‘Lesson 2’ is closed to new replies.