~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Susanne Howarth
      Participant

One of my ongoing challenges is knowing just how much time I still have in our search. At trials, I rely VERY heavily on that 30-second warning, which may not happen, if the volunteer timer gets distracted! In other courses, Kim has had us attempt to guess the time that has passed when we call our alerts, and then check those guesstimates against the video’s time. Suffice it to say that I am LOUSY at guessing like this!

I’m wondering two things: (1) Do any of you have any tricks you have used to keep track of time during searches? and (2) Is anyone aware of any kind of iPhone (or other) app that could be set to Beep every 10-15 seconds? I’m thinking that having such a cue while practicing might help hone the skill of knowing the time, perhaps even more than the random guessing game. Then, after practicing with the beeper for a while, maybe the guesses will become more accurate?

Any thoughts?

Terry Wright and Kai
        Participant

Boy Suzanne I think we all struggle with the timing thing!

I know a couple of ladies who wear a watch of some sort on their arms in trials where they check the time. Not sure how that works????

We have done the guess what time do you think that took in classes, but my guesses aren’t very close.

My Iphone will beep at at set amount of time that has passed, but can only do it one time then need to redo it. Like set it for one minute, it will beep at that time.

Can you get someone to time your practices and give you the times like at .30 – 1:00 – 1:30, etc.??

Terry Wright

Kimberly Buchanan
          Keymaster

I think if you wear a smart phone or some sort of stopwatch and get better at knowing how long it takes you to cover certain kinds of search areas it would be hugely helpful. Figure out how much time to “let” your dog figure something out before moving them on. What does 30 seconds “feel” like? Three minutes? There is a lot you can do within your practices. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
            Joyride K9 Dog Training

Susanne Howarth
            Participant

Thanks, Terry. Unfortunately, I always seem to be practicing on my own (if at all, which is another story!). I need to look to see if there’s some enhanced iPhone timing app I could use…

Kimberly Buchanan
              Keymaster

I have Android devices but I’m guessing Apple has similar apps; There is a timing function with a stopwatch OR a timer. One counts up the other counts down. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                Joyride K9 Dog Training

Susanne Howarth
                Participant

FYI, I just downloaded an iPhone app called “Seconds,” which is intended for use in interval training. There are several similar options, but I can set this one to beep at me every 15 seconds (or every however many seconds I want). I assume such a tool cannot be used during a trial?

Kimberly Buchanan
                  Keymaster

Good question! I would email trial@nacsw.net and find out what the policy is on that. It may be addressed in the most current rule book but I don’t think so.

Kimberly Buchanan
                    Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • The topic ‘Knowing How Much Time Is Left’ is closed to new replies.