~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Home Forums ARCHIVES ARCHIVES-SOTMC FORUMS SOTMC-2016-07-July Joey 's Exterior

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Cheryl Winblad
      Participant

Just did 2 hides, 1 on a big soft mound of dirt above a gopher hole. The other one a telephone pole that stunk of creosote and dog pee. These are both in my front yard near street and people going by.

Telephone pole not to much problem for Joey. We approached down wind quickly caught the scent went to the back of the pole from scent and seemed a bit unsure whether to go left or right as the odor seemed pretty equal. took about 30 secs finally made a decision , sourced it and a nice alert.

Gopher mound (gophers and lizards well be our downfall) caught the odor went directly to source almost started to alert then a paw seemed to want to pulled at the tin, suddenly he was in full digging mode. Move him away, restarted and he went and alerted but still pawed at the mound.

Deb (De) Frost
      Participant

I’m always amazed that my Dachshund isn’t more interested in gopher holes and the like. Even if he’s never seen a real gopher (I don’t think they live up here), you’d think just instinctively be interested.

It definitely sounds like something you and Joey can work on! ? What breed is Joey?

Cheryl Winblad
      Participant

Joey is a Papillon but a real gopher killer, he has managed to kill and bring me as gifts at least 3-4 gophers. He hunts gophers mostly like a cat listening fixated on the hole waiting to pounce.

Cheryl Winblad
      Participant

Today we revisited the gopher mound Joey had no problem at all, going right to source and alerting. Tomorrow we will up the level and go to a park and find more distractors.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Excellent, Cheryl! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Cheryl Winblad
      Participant

Today I wanted to to test. What would happen if I showed up a new location and did exterior containers right out of the car, with little time to adjust. Went to a park set 6 boxes and 1 scent box on concrete 1 foot in from grass. Took Joey out let him absorbs some of the surroundings for 30 secs. Then said find it, well 15 secs of just sniffing grass, 30 secs of multi tasking, found the box but did not alert more or less just keep going. Let him continue multi tasking around boxes, finally he settle down and worked the boxes and alerted. I’m getting much better at discerning if he is crittering , checking pee spots or searching. He is pretty good at doing all at once.

Not sure how to improve his getting right to the task, when there is so many distractors.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

There are a few things you could do, depending on what might work best for Joey.

One thought is to just re-set and re-cue. Make it easy for Joey to have success.

You could put him up and make the search easier, even with pairing.

Another idea: You give him first shot at the search. If he farts around more than 30 seconds, he goes back to the car and you get Corky out. Corky is now you “favorite!” HE gets to search and HE gets the rewards instead of Joey. Then bring Joey back out and see if he’s ready to work. If yes, that’s great! If not, he goes back to the car and you either repeat or go home and try another day.

Get creative while still trying to keep Joey interested in the game! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Joey 's Exterior’ is closed to new replies.