~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Susanne Howarth
      Participant

As I think about Biscuit’s search pace and how I might speed her up, I wonder whether there would be any justification to set up a search, with all hides paired, and then allow Blackie and Biscuit to search simultaneously: she who works fastest gets the most goodies. I know that in Agility, sibling rivalry can sometimes be a motivator: “Oh, you don’t want to do what I asked? Well, I’ll just put you up and let your sister work instead.”

My girls don’t have any particular food-guarding issues, so I don’t believe a fight would ensue. But is this a tactic that might be fun for both of them and might encourage them to work as fast and efficiently as possible? Or am I overlooking some other potential pitfall?

Kimberly Buchanan
        Keymaster

I will say that we do not recommend having two dogs out at one time. It can create a problem where there currently is none. Remember, this is a safe zone for one dog at a time.

However, you might set up a search where one dog runs and the other is sequestered in an area waiting their turn. They don’t get to watch but they *know* what’s going on!

Kimberly Buchanan
          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Carolyn Murray
          Participant

I think even having my dogs kenneled in the car is enough to create jealousy. When we are at the barn, a certain someone is known to throw fits in her kennel when I get Cooper out of the car.

I’ve often thought it helpful to do searches within sight of my vehicle when out with both dogs. I like to think it helps a bit with drive. I do know what when I bring the dogs out of the car they seem particularly ready to work in these instances.

Only the dog knows…. 😉

Susanne Howarth
            Participant

Yes, ALL of our practices at home result in a lot of frenzy on the part of whichever girl is awaiting her turn. And yes, Kim, you’re absolutely right that I don’t need to create a problem where there is none! (Although, as I think about that, I’m often VERY adept at doing just that!!!)

Kimberly Buchanan
              Keymaster

Sue: LOL! 😀

Kimberly Buchanan
                Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The topic ‘Is Jealousy a Useful Tool in Nose Work?’ is closed to new replies.