~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Home Forums ARCHIVES ARCHIVES-SOTMC FORUMS SOTMC-2016-07-July Corkie Exterior

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Cheryl Winblad
      Participant

Just did 2 hides, 1 on a big soft mound of dirt above a gopher hole. The other one a telephone pole that stunk of creosote and dog pee. These are both in my front yard near street and people going by.

Gopher hole- not to much of a problem with this, was a bit weak on alert. I need to pair more, he is a bit off his game with me being gone for 2 weeks.

Telephone pole- I paired this one. He got a bit hung up on back side of pole just like Joey did , but his answer was to pee on it. He has difficulty not lifting his leg on dog pee. Restarted, he manage to find odor and alert, but I had to catch him again before he peed on pole 2nd time.

Kimberly Buchanan
        Keymaster

He peed on it even when it was paired??

Kimberly Buchanan
          Joyride K9 Dog Training

Cheryl Winblad
          Participant

Yes , Dear Corkie when outside struggles with leg lifting. The 2nd timed when paired he sidled up like he wanted to , i caught him and nudged him on. Not sure if he really would have but he was considering it. Exteriors for Corkie is going to be difficult area. He spent his 1st 3-4 years before I got him as an un-neutered leg lifter.

Cheryl Winblad
            Participant

Today I wanted to to test what would happen if I showed up a new location and did exterior containers right out of the car, with little time to adjust. Went to a park set 6 boxes and 1 scent box on on a large expanse of concrete. For Corkie I paired. Let Corkie have 30 secs. to absorb the surroundings, then we started the search. He trotted through the boxes like a line backer knocking them every where, showing little interest in them. Went past the odor box suddenly about 2 ft away Corkie does the head whip and zeros in grabs his treat. Then rather than stay at odor he just keep walking on. I reload odor box with treat and tried 2nd a time, he goes right to the odor box I was much quicker to give him a reward at source and not let Corkie wander off.

Deb (De) Frost
              Participant

Cheryl, that sounded like the start of a good practice session for Corkie. Controlled environment with way less possibility of random dog pee distractions, limited number of containers, and pairing to bring him quickly to source. The fact that he did a head snap once he passed the hide and caught odor was great! Knowing where the hide was gave you the opportunity to be right there, promptly delivering more rewards at source.

I would probably repeat exercises like this one multiple times, starting from different directions, focusing on reward delivery.

My dog, Baxter, was a notorious marker when I adopted him (home 3 or 4 <sigh>). When we started NW, I really feared this would be our downfall. ? But Bad LOVED NW3 pretty much from day one, so we persevered.

Consistent “consequences” was the key (for us) in dealing with the marking issue. Baxter almost never lifts his leg during a search these days (never say never!?). Early on, and ALWAYS, if he peed during a search, the result was the same. No correction, no “Bad dog.” He was immediately removed from the search area and put away. No more hunting … a cheerful “sucks to be you, buddy!” was all he heard. For many dogs, Baxter included, being abruptly removed from a hunt was a terrible and totally understandable consequence. After this had happened several times, you could actually SEE him stop and sniff, think about it … and move on. ?

He would be allowed to come back and try the search again later on. A 10 minute break usually gives them enough time to think it over.

Kimberly Buchanan
                Keymaster

Good job, Cheryl! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
                  Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • The topic ‘Corkie Exterior’ is closed to new replies.