~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Tagged: 

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

What a fun dog! According to Chris Mason, expert of all things Bull Terrier related, all BT owners MUST come with a sense of humor! LOL!

Interesting approach in the first class of switching roles with the handler. We did that long ago but saw some dogs were averse to it. Cash clearly doesn’t care who is on the other end of the leash. Also good choice to turn him off-leash IMO. I love his enthusiasm and lack of environmental sensitivity! I hope Lori appreciates what a gift that is. 🙂

I really like your use of “hot-cold” in the Exterior search to verbalize Cash’s sorting process.

Beyond “Intro” but have you suggested some alternate source of reward like a lickety stick? Bite off a piece of hotdog or string cheese?

I wonder if Lori would benefit from the exercise of verbalizing what she’s seeing in her dog?

Fun student! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Shauna Moore
      Spectator

Lori has met Chris and they are friends.  Lori has a fantastic sense of humor and loves that Cash is hilarious.  Sometimes he throws a wrench in her search plans but she laughs and goes with it.  I love having them in class.

Switching roles – as I had limited access to a CNWI during my first two years as a student this is how I learned and what it still says in our binder.  Living in Canada is lovely but I was hours away from trainers that were not friends who were making it up as they went along.  For my first two sets of Intro I followed the material very closely.  Now I am much better at having an idea of what skills each class should work on and adjusting the exercises per class and if needed per dog.

Cash is a dog who reads odour carefully and well.  He is so neat to have in class as everyone can see him do clear COB then work to source.

Rewards – I would love any input on this.  I hadn’t thought of a lickety stick!  She is careful about certain foods but I think the liver one would be ok.  Great idea!  She did try hot dogs and string cheese.  He just grabs harder knowing there is more.  Rewards are their greatest struggle.

I will work on her verbalizing!  She can see his COB but is not confident in reading his working to source.  I have tried handling him once for a search and called out what I saw while she watched.  She loved that and saw everything.  She finds being at the end of the leash the hard part.

Catherine Gryniewicz
      Spectator

Hey Shauna,

Curious if it would help if the treat was placed in the palm of the handler’s hand.  May be she should try this at home and outside the game first.

Catherine

Catherine Gryniewicz
      Spectator

Hey Shauna,

Curious if it would help if the treat was placed in the palm of the handler’s hand.  May be she should try this at home and outside the game first.  Ok, may be wear a glove too.  🙂

Catherine

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

I’ve struggled with treats and my dogs, as well. I don’t want to drop the treats so I tend to push the treat into my dog’s mouth so it’s unlikely to fall out. However, he closes his teeth around my fingers so it hurts dragging my fingers free! I’ve tried putting it in the palm of my hand but he just pinched the skin and it still hurt. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathy Hatch
      Participant

Fun dog to watch search! Love his enthusiasm.  Treats are tough for the land shark dog.  Lickety  Stick might be a good option.

I’d love to hear other ideas for treat delivery for hard mouthed dogs.

Valerie Casperite
      Participant

You could use a large plastic syringe full of peanut butter, cream cheese, etc.  It’s cheaper than a Lickety Stick and works the same way.

Kathy Hatch
      Participant

Valerie, fantastic idea to use a plastic syringe filled with a semi soft treat!

Terri Spaeth-Merrick
      Spectator

I just got some blank deodorant containers to use for treat delivery.  Drill three holes in the top and add a side set-screw and they work pretty good.

I saw the idea on a FB post on one of the NW groups, a guy named Richard I think, I can’t seem to find it to give proper credit.

Deb (De) Frost
      Participant

Love Bull Terriers! They never fail to bring a fun mood to any class!

like Shauna, I live FAR from any other CNWI trainers, so I too stuck closely to my instructor binder for quite a while. It’s not easy or financially feasible to get from Alaska to the “lower 48” for seminars on any sort of regular basis. An updated instructor binder with some of the changes that have occurred since 2015 sure would’ve been helpful.

On the bright side; this is why I was so excited about this course – thank you, Kim, for making it possible. I’m picking up all sorts of good ideas and plan to implement a few changes into my next Intro class. It’s great to see what other instructors are doing and relieved to see that a lot of what I already do is not off track. ?

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Yeah! Glad you’re getting something more than CEU’s from the course, Deb. That was my goal. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Years ago I bought those roller ball containers to make my own Lickety sticks. Of course, they got set somewhere and I have no idea where they went! 🙂

Was also thinking there should be something like a push-up that could dispense treat thru licking, as well. Have no idea if there is currently.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terri Spaeth-Merrick
      Spectator

Kim, the deodorant stick containers I mentioned above work like that, I will try to do a quick video.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Yes, Terri, that’s what I was thinking! Where did you find them/what is the name?

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Terri Spaeth-Merrick
      Spectator

The link to buy them on Amazon to make your own is above a couple of posts. #16545

I have been experimenting with various ingredients.  If it is something that will get soft in a warm pocket it won’t work very well as it just oozes out.  I have been mixing peanut butter with something like the Red Barn meat tubes.  Have several made up and put them in a cooler between searches.

I found the source to give credit for the idea: Roger Thayer Black Hat Nose Work Products find him on FB.

You can also buy them directly from him that have the holes and set screw all done.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2208166839449545&set=pcb.707065029694878&type=3&theater&ifg=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2208174422782120&set=pcb.707065029694878&type=3&theater&ifg=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2208174436115452&set=pcb.707065029694878&type=3&theater&ifg=1

https://www.facebook.com/roger.thayer.18/videos/2201227606810135/

Terri

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Ah, yes, I was thinking of just the stick not something with holes so they would look like those orange frozen “push-ups” we used to get as kids. But I suppose the ones you posted would work as well. Thanks, Terri –

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kathy Hatch
      Participant

Tanks Terri!  Cool, I’m going look into this.  It’s nice to have treat dispenser options.

Kathy Hatch
      Participant

Terri, thanks for sharing!  It’ll look this up for another option for treat dispensing.

Terri Spaeth-Merrick
      Spectator

Kim, you could use it that way, just like a deodorant stick, without the lid with holes, but you would have to find/make some kind of food/food mixture that would hold it’s shape as it was pushed up. Also that the dog would not just bite off a hunk of!

I have tried a bunch of things over the years because Peach has a really hard mouth for taking treats, especially when stressed.  This has been the easiest to use in terms of holding it and making it work with one hand.

I have several students who use squeeze tubes of various iterations and invariably at some point they leave a long line of treat goop that got to warm and oozed out.  Or they are fighting with getting the cap off while their dog is waiting at source!  I was using a squeeze tube a very long time ago at an NW 1 or NW2 with Ochoco and I left a 3″ long squeeze of cream cheese at the hide!!  I had no idea until I saw the score sheet, fault, and note from the judge. it was warm and the squeeze tube had been in my pocket…

One of my students with a crazy lab uses a roller ball, the dog does not get much actual treat but seems satisfied with just being able to lick it like crazy.

Brooke Peciukas
      Participant

Cash was a fun dog to watch! Thank you for sharing. And sorry I’m behind in watching all the videos. I love all the ideas for treating. Something we’ve used in different classes at the Training Facility I worked instead of the lickety stick is a wood spoon with wet food frozen on to it. That works got for walking a little dog but might get messy in NW. One of my favorites is a squeeze tube. Kind of like what you would do with the deodorant stick. I have some like this and that have worked great.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

I have some of those squeeze tubes, too, Brooke. As Terri mentioned her trial debacle with the cream cheese, that’s been my hesitation. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Shauna Moore
      Spectator

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!!  I will be sharing them all with Lori. Cash is a former show dog so he and Lori have a pattern in place of him stacking once he has found source and looking at her in anticipation of his treat.  I am working on getting her to reward at source, earlier, as in when she sees Cash figure out exactly where source is located.  I have shown her my trick for rewarding land sharks (I developed it with a 90 lb OES that we used to own) but she does not yet see the importance of rewarding at source.  She will have more classes upcoming this year where she will truly encounter blind hides so will have to work on reading Cash.  I will get photos/video of my way of rewarding biters that has never failed me.

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Shauna: “I will get photos/video of my way of rewarding biters that has never failed me.”

That would be a great resource! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

“Where are they now?” – How is Cash doing in class these days?

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

arleigh Bell
      Participant

I have a treat dispenser which you can shoot the treats where you want them

i like the deodorant idea… gonna try this for my next terrier lol

arleigh Bell
      Participant

I have a treat dispenser which you can shot the treats where you want them

i like the deodorant idea… gonna try this for my next terrier

easy enough to make

Terri Spaeth-Merrick
      Spectator

Arleigh, what the the shooting treat dispenser look like?  Brand? Source to buy?

I think I would like that for several reasons.

I have always imagined having a 007 James Bond type treat dispenser up my sleeve ready to pay at source in trials.  No pockets and no pouches!

arleigh Bell
      Participant

Dog gun tart dispenser, bought n line.. no brand name on it…was a Christmas gift

ttrats go in the clear cap, spring load, using black slide, shoot treats using black side button, treats come out flat red surface area.. lots of fun.. I will see if my friend recalls which website

Dog treat gun dispenser

Kathy Hatch
      Participant

That’s amazing, Arleigh, thanks for sharing!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Keymaster

Cool! Have never heard of that, Arleigh!

Kimberly Buchanan
      Joyride K9 Dog Training

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Case Study: Cash’ is closed to new replies.