~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Kimberly Buchanan
Keymaster

Deb/Kathryn, yeah, that is one way to approach the search and Jacy has a boatload of experience with professional working dogs. However, I challenge you to let Hunter/Baxter chose where to go next, just to see what choices they make. Of course, this depends on how your dog searches (methodical, running laps, sorting problems, etc.). I have learned with my two, for example, Emmy is more experienced working one hide to the next but she also tends to return to previous hides asking for payment (even with more hides out there). Zen is really good leaving the current hide to continue searching and will check in with a previous hide but not expect payment yet he ranges out really far and less efficiently. I’ve started working him on leash to limit how much he circles and runs laps but still not directing where to go after finding a hide.

Try it by setting up hides in close proximity and see if it helps to make a search more efficient. Yes, reality is you still need to ensure search area coverage. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
Joyride K9 Dog Training