~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Dave Ellison
Participant

Yes, I think you’re right. I think Bodie had trained me to expect quick clear alerts, especially that day. I think she wasn’t sure at the first pass, so I walked away a bit to see how interested she was. However, that is also what I do in training when I’m ignoring her at distractors/fringe containers. So I think this started a cycle of misunderstanding. I wanted to say “are you really interested in that one?” or “make a decision!” but she might have heard “you’re wrong, move on”. Then when she came back the second time she was less sure because I didn’t support her the first time. I came back thinking she’ll give me a better/quicker alert if it’s really odor, but she was less confident, she needed more time. I stood there for what seemed like forever trying to choose odor or distrator, but it was really just a few seconds. I should have called alert there anyway because she doesn’t care about distrators much (anymore); it is the higher percentage call.

Unfortunately, I find it really hard to practice this sort of fringing problem. Containers are a bit of a pain to practice normally. Trying to set up a good fringing problem is even harder (waiting longer, using fans or wind etc.), then a large portion of the time it either doesn’t work or it doesn’t fool my dog. She’s used to our normal set of practice containers and we are both more comfortable in practice than trials. Container searches in trials is where Bodie is most likely to show me strange behaviors, but then that’s probably what she would say about me too.