~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Ok, I’m going to respond to the searches individually….

In the first search, what I see is Blackie cursorily checking boxes but not really investigating. Trying to remember if this is typical? She NEVER really investigates the black shoe box. Once you point it out to her she checks it and finally notices odor. This is why it’s critical to make sure the dogs get to the OUTSIDES of your corners. Sometimes the dogs need to approach from a different angle. If that’s not possible (against a wall or something impeding the path) just make sure they adequately investigate.

As you see, by pointing to the containers, Blackie takes that as a cue that she’ SUPPOSED to indicate odor. I might do that more frequently and proof against it. Point, move, dog stays or moves on if it’s not odor. You will also want to reward her well when she stays after you move on. OH – and I’d have paid her for odor after she falsed on the distractor.

Also – proof distractors. She showed a lot of interest but did start to walk away from you when you moved. I would purposely work odor – distractors to really solidify that Blackie WILL get paid at odor. Also another reason to pay when the dog goes back to odor.

I didn’t see your movement so much when she investigates a container but be careful you’re not cuing her by reaching for the reward or other mannerisms that will tell her she’s getting paid. This is one of those tricky parts of training. After working fast rewards so much it may be time to give a SLIGHT delay for her to tell you it’s odor but don’t stand still.

So, LOTS of things going on in this video and it’s giving me ideas for our next in-person training! 🙂

OH – and I would agree that the middle box might be holding onto odor more because of the sealed lid. Not worried about the tissue paper in the shoe box.

Kimberly Buchanan
Joyride K9 Dog Training