~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Julia Back
Participant

Thanks for the feedback!

Lol, poor Cathie! I didn’t think of that one. Real world situations, indeed!

I watched it again and realized that he really worked pretty consistently through all of the vegetation to the second hide, and it was only after he’d found everything that he was really concentrating on reading critters/peemail. If I had this search to do again, I think I could have called finish by 2:30.

The paw was definitely a double-edged sword at trial. Unfortunately it was the paw that got me in our containers miss and another near-miss in interiors. He pawed at pooling odor multiple times during the day, which is really odd for us – usually (as you see) he is very thorough at detailing and bracketing before alerting. In one interior odor was pooling in a cubby with a book in it, and he pawed at it, but I hadn’t seen him do the detail work or a “nose freeze” before that and books are such odor sinks, so I took him away and brought him back and he didn’t paw/alert again (a friend had a “miss” in that exact spot).

In containers odor was pooling on a soft cloth bag and he pawed at it almost as soon as he got there. I would call what happened a “paw-induced blurt alert”. He didn’t do the detail work and his tail was undecided – maybe he was just overexcited and went for “good enough”. Had I waited a little longer/moved I think he would have followed it right to the hide in the next container.

So… with these developments, what would you suggest with the paw? (aside from practicing more aged hides/pooling odor, I mean, which we will definitely do). I am planning on doing a lot of known hide searches and rewarding the sniff and tail tornado. Knowing him, I don’t think this will eradicate the paw, I think he will still resort to it if I don’t respond quickly enough, but I’d like to see the other responses first. Then I just have to train myself to keep my trap shut under pressure if I don’t see the sniff and the tail tornado, even if there is a paw 😉