~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Kimberly Buchanan
Keymaster

(Hi Patti – the Lesson Tip is for #3 🙂 )

Ok, what I saw in this portion is that he is giving you much the same indication on the distractors as he does on odor. That can be a problem, for sure! He’s hopeful! I liked that he did leave them faster as time went on but because he was so insistent in the beginning I would have liked him to more opportunity to make correct decisions. If you practice this again – and I encourage you to do so – maybe have 3 odor boxes instead of just one.

The other thing I recommend is to not wait for any kind of response at odor. You should race in and pay quickly when he starts to sniff the odor box. You don’t want to risk him leaving it, it will build excitement and he will start to anticipate a fast reward which should initiate a look instead of a paw. Try it and see if it helps.

I do like the verbal and physical praise at odor. That can be highly motivating for some dogs! And I like the reinforcement at odor at the end.

So I would definitely practice this exercise and see if you can’t get that distractor interest to fade a bit more. Try different distractors in this process, too, but you obviously want to use desirable things. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
    Joyride K9 Dog Training