~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Kimberly Buchanan
Keymaster

There are a couple of things you can do;

(a) When you have a search where you think she might want to investigate before giving an indication, give her the opportunity to tell you where things are. If she chooses not to, put her up for a bit without getting a reward. Nothing harsh, just, “Too bad, you missed the opportunity.” Bring her back and try again several minutes later and see if there is a change.

(b) Pay before she has an opportunity to leave. I mean rush in about 10x faster as long as it’s not going to scare the bejesus out of her. 🙂 Make sure she’s caught scent but pay quickly. Do this consistently for a month and see if she doesn’t start to have an expectation that you’re going to pay her. This will elicit some changes in her behavior as she waits for payment.

(c) In a search like this, include open containers where she can self-reward.

(d) Up the value of your reward

It kind of depends on where this is coming from. If she’s concerned about the environment I would work with either (b) or (c) and/or (d). If she’s just not that into finding odor go with (a) and/or (d). I see you’re a bit more excited at the start line than you are during the search. She gives a mild tail wag when she’s being paid so maybe up YOUR enthusiasm, too!? 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
    Joyride K9 Dog Training