~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Kimberly Buchanan
Keymaster

I can feel your pain! So hard to keep track of what they checked when and where the odor is when they all look the same and your dog bounces around everywhere! (Have been there many times!) 🙂

Baxter is always enthusiastic, certainly! But it’s interesting that he does seem to slow down SLIGHTLY after he’s been around a few times. One sure tell-tail sign is him going to sniff the walls (you mention it on tape) around the 2 minute mark. It’s as if they know they’ve searched everything in the boxes and have found all odors that are there but “ok, I’ll keep looking, let’s see what’s over here now?”

A couple of comments;

Did you notice on the video that your body pressure changed Baxter’s path at (:18)? In cases like that I recommend stepping BACK to where you saw a slight change of behavior and see if the dog will re-attempt to go where they were initially headed (likely to odor)?

Interesting he gives a weak alert on a non-odor box at (:36) – ?

Baxter is really hard to keep the leash from tangling but you do a super job coming up at the harness at (:45) to ensure it doesn’t get caught under him. That’s what I like to see!

You stay in the search area about 30 seconds after his last reward. I think I would push it even further, go to maybe a minute to see what other behaviors it might elicit.

Ok, on to PART B! 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
    Joyride K9 Dog Training