~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Deb (De) Frost
Participant

Boy, finding TIME this week to set up a Container search was a challenge in itself. 🙂

I hope I remembered everything; we set out 20+ boxes, with three odor boxes (Birch, Anise & Clove) and no distractors. I asked Baxter to continue searching after he had found all three boxes. He did return to each of them, but showed less interest after hitting each twice … and pretty much ignored them after being rewarded the 2nd time (he has learned, at least for the most part) that continuing to return won’t be nearly as valuable as finding a new hide.

I noticed that he slowed down (hey, everything is relative) and became less intent on his searching once he’d found all of them – and even tried to leave the area once. Interesting. It can be difficult with Baxter to keep track of where he’s been and where he hasn’t due to his random search pattern – ping-pong describes it well <sigh>. I’m thinking I probably need to add more actual leash direction to be able to detail areas I think we might have missed? I hate to curb his enthusiasm, but geez. 😉

Waiting to do part two … 🙂