Introduction to the activity and sport of K9 Nose Work®. In our training we will begin with the dog searching boxes for their primary and most exciting reward, whether it is food or toys. We will add puzzles and challenges suited to each dog and progress the dog’s independent searching. As a student of your dog you will learn to read your dog’s subtle body cues when they’re working “odor” and narrowing in on “source” (the reward). You will also learn by observation how odor moves in each search environment. The dogs are our teachers, we are merely a guide.
Some of the things we will be discussing and/or working on:
*What is K9 Nose Work®?
* Why primary rewards and not target odor?
* Why one dog at a time?
* Starting the “Box” game
* What is your dog’s search style?
* Why no trained “Final Response?”
* What is your dog “saying?” (Learning to read your dog)
* Critters and other distractions
* To speak or not to speak? (Dog’s reliance on handler)
* Taking it on the road (Expanding the game)
You will need a video camera and tripod or a helper to video your searches. You will upload to YouTube and imbed the video (1-2 minutes max.) into your personal thread. Please wait for comments before adding the next video. Assignments will be given with instruction.
There are no “hours” so you can participate at your leisure and time that suits you best.