~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Susanne Howarth
Participant

I’m certainly with Donna in terms of tending towards “helter skelter hide placements,” and as I think I’ve commented elsewhere, my greatest skill is most likely my ability to over-complicate whatever lesson or practice we are doing, thus making it nearly impossible for my girls to succeed!

When we got serious earlier this year first about getting NW2 titles for both girls and now as we work towards our NW3s, I started being more deliberate about my training: in theory, I try to do some nose work every day, but consider myself lucky if I get in 4 or 5 days a week. Also, I’ve started keeping a training journal: where did we search, what did I set up, how did it work out. I rarely look back at the journal after the fact, but I find that writing it down is helpful because it forces me to evaluate what we did. Also, keeping that log seems to help me be more deliberate about mixing up what we are doing and where we are doing it. For instance, I know I’ve been doing more than enough exterior work lately, and no doubt need to make time to work on the other three elements! (And as I write that, it occurs to me that the ONLY element we passed at our first NW3 was exteriors… probably not a coincidence!)