~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Kimberly Buchanan
Keymaster

I’m going to give you the same lesson I gave to Linda & Molly;

You’re working on some INDEPENDENCE to find the hide but the REWARD is still from you so I’d like to start with that aspect, with her leading the search. This will be an Interior search, off-leash. I’d like you to place 6-8 hides in a search area with the hides no less than 5 feet apart. Keep them no higher than nose-height.

You will be pre-loaded (if possible) with multiple rewards in your hand and have a QUICK way to gather more for more rewards.

Release Scout and as soon as she is showing signals that she has found a hide you will RUSH in to pay her. Do not wait for a look or other communication! The idea is to race her to the hide and when she gets there she is quickly rewarded. When you release her to find the next hide you can stand in front of the hide she just found but don’t worry about body-blocking, just encourage her to keep working. She has MANY reward opportunities!

If Scout does not find all the hides or if she keeps going back to hides she’s already found don’t worry about it! Just pay her each time and end your search around the 3 minute mark. You can move away from a hide if you think it will draw her in an area to find more but try not to revert to any directing. What I’m looking for is how quickly she finds odor, whether she proceeds to look for more or defaults to an existing hide and how her enthusiasm and energy is throughout the entire search.

Since she has been heavily paired in recent history, this is the next step to move into independence w/o the paired hide. Also, if she’s tracking she’ll miss reward opportunities, tho’ in an Interior it may not be as noticeable as Exterior. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
Joyride K9 Dog Training